[FICTION] The Dark Star by Robert W. Chambers -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: June 26th, 2023, 3:38 pm Updated Chapter 16 https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_16_chambers_128kb.mp3

Back soon with 24!
PL OK! Thank you!

No rush on 24 - as long as it's in by the two-month deadline, it's all good! :)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

Phew - took longer than ideal, but finally uploaded and ready for a PL!

Chap. 20 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_20_chambers_128kb.mp3 - 00:27:39
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

LuckyTrefle wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 12:58 pm Phew - took longer than ideal, but finally uploaded and ready for a PL!

Chap. 20 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_20_chambers_128kb.mp3 - 00:27:39
You're in well before the deadline, so it's all good! :) Thank you for chapter 20! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your clear reading style. I have just a few notes:

- At 3:36, "He thought of Ilse Dumont," you say "He thought of Elise Dumont"
- At 4:07, "All around him along the deck passengers were promenading," you say "All around him the deck passengers were promenading"
- At 7:11, "to avoid contact," you say "to avoid conflict"
- At 9:59, "You have had both power and provocation to make my voyage on this ship embarrassing," you say "You have had both power and provocation to make my voyage on this trip embarrassing"
- At 18:05, "long since grouped into two formidable alliances radically hostile to one another," you say "long grouped into two formidable alliances radically hostile to one another"
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
LuckyTrefle

Post by LuckyTrefle »

Scarbo wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 4:48 pm
LuckyTrefle wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 12:58 pm Phew - took longer than ideal, but finally uploaded and ready for a PL!

You're in well before the deadline, so it's all good! :) Thank you for chapter 20! It's very nicely done, and I enjoyed your clear reading style. I have just a few notes:

- At 3:36, "He thought of Ilse Dumont," you say "He thought of Elise Dumont"
- At 4:07, "All around him along the deck passengers were promenading," you say "All around him the deck passengers were promenading"
- At 7:11, "to avoid contact," you say "to avoid conflict"
- At 9:59, "You have had both power and provocation to make my voyage on this ship embarrassing," you say "You have had both power and provocation to make my voyage on this trip embarrassing"
- At 18:05, "long since grouped into two formidable alliances radically hostile to one another," you say "long grouped into two formidable alliances radically hostile to one another"
Excellent catches - thank you so much! Fixed and reuploaded here:

Chap. 20 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_20_chambers_128kb.mp3 - 00:27:42
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

LuckyTrefle wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 8:21 am Excellent catches - thank you so much! Fixed and reuploaded here:

Chap. 20 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_20_chambers_128kb.mp3 - 00:27:42
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
laurenwedge

Post by laurenwedge »

Can I claim Chapter 13? Thanks!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

laurenwedge wrote: August 10th, 2023, 8:24 pm Can I claim Chapter 13? Thanks!
Certainly! Thank you for claiming! Before you start recording, I'd strongly recommend completing a 1-minute test so that your recording software setup can be checked.

I also want to mention that at over 6,700 words, this chapter will be pretty long, possibly close to an hour depending on your reading pace. It might be a good idea to record your other claim first so that you can get a feel for the recording and editing process before diving into a longer recording.

If you have questions about anything, I'll be happy to help!

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Scarbo wrote: June 25th, 2023, 2:54 pm

Chapter 24 is all yours - thank you for claiming! If I remember correctly, this one should probably give you a little break from "Scheherazade." :lol:
I need to request an extension, please. I have Covid and currently sound not unlike a frog...
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: August 14th, 2023, 2:08 pm
Scarbo wrote: June 25th, 2023, 2:54 pm

Chapter 24 is all yours - thank you for claiming! If I remember correctly, this one should probably give you a little break from "Scheherazade." :lol:
I need to request an extension, please. I have Covid and currently sound not unlike a frog...
Certainly! I hope you feel better soon.

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Doing better, the cough is almost gone. I will have it finished in a couple weeks. The more I speak, the more I cough so....
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: September 9th, 2023, 7:01 pm Doing better, the cough is almost gone. I will have it finished in a couple weeks. The more I speak, the more I cough so....
No worries, take your time! I got sick last year and it felt like ages until I was back in voice again. I'm glad to hear you're doing better.

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

stormyweather wrote: October 7th, 2023, 11:59 am Chapter 24 is done. Gangster voices are fun. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_24_chambers_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 24! I enjoyed listening to your gangster voices. :D I have just a few PL notes:

- At 2:50, "Neeland listened to the fluent information on his own account," I hear "Neeland listened to the fluid information on his own account"
- At 5:04, could you edit out the first take of "the nameless grace of Mart, Haffner and Sharx marked the tailoring"?
- At 9:58, "'I get him,' said Stull, sourly," I hear "'I get him,' said Stud, sourly"
- At 12:56, "and squinting thoughtfully at the smoke eddying in the draught from the open window," I hear "and spitting thoughtfully at the smoke eddying in the draught from the open window"
- At the very end, could you shorten the silence to about 5 seconds?

Sarah
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Thank you for chapter 24! I enjoyed listening to your gangster voices. :D I have just a few PL notes:

- At 2:50, "Neeland listened to the fluent information on his own account," I hear "Neeland listened to the fluid information on his own account"
- At 5:04, could you edit out the first take of "the nameless grace of Mart, Haffner and Sharx marked the tailoring"?
- At 9:58, "'I get him,' said Stull, sourly," I hear "'I get him,' said Stud, sourly"
- At 12:56, "and squinting thoughtfully at the smoke eddying in the draught from the open window," I hear "and spitting thoughtfully at the smoke eddying in the draught from the open window"
- At the very end, could you shorten the silence to about 5 seconds?
[/quote]

I'll get right on it.
stormyweather

Post by stormyweather »

Chapter 24 with corrections after PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/darkstar_24_chambers_128kb.mp3

I'm doing NaNoWriMo, so I can't pick anything up until December, but if there are still chapters then, I'll be back!