COMPLETE[PLAY]The Weaker Sex by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 20th, 2020, 1:03 pmAct 1 is ready for final PL.
:clap: a wonderful performance from all of us and great job at assembling. I really spent a pleasurable hour at this now. :9:

I have a few suggestions to edit:

> at 29:12: (p. 28) between "Philipp Lyster" and "ah Dudley" - I would shorten the pause here quite a bit. I suspect I treated it as separate quotes by mistake

> at 33:49: (p. 32) "maybe we should add here "Lady Vivash, to Rhoda", since the narrator mentioned Mrs Boyle-Chewton right before (there is one sample at 34:30 to copy)

> at 44:39: (p. 43) missed stage directions: "with a cry of tenderness pressing Sylvia to her" - putting it after the speech may be a good idea, then the flow of the situation is not interrupted, of course then you don't need to include the character name

Will try to get to Act 3 later, first breakfast !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I took your great suggestions and Act 1 is now ready for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:42 am
WiltedScribe wrote: December 21st, 2020, 1:54 am Here is the missing line for Ira:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/weakersex_ira_2_missingline.mp3
excellent, you still managed the deeper tone of voice. All PL ok now. Thanks for the fast reply.

Todd, I try to listen to this today still, then we can catalogue.

Sonia
Thank you. Act 2 now fully assembled; grooming before upload.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:58 amI took your great suggestions and Act 1 is now ready for Spot PL.
and Spot PL ok, and I also listened to Act 3 which is brilliantly PL ok as well. :clap: Such a sad ending though. I still think they could have had a happy ending. Big emotions all throughout the act...everybody played them out so well. Great job, all !

Waiting for the last act :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Will have Act 2 later today, though probably not at a useful hour for you to PL until tomorrow.

I really wanted to change the ending. In the introduction to one of the Pineros, Big Drum maybe, Pinero mentioned that he was forced to change the ending to a happy one for stage performances, but the published script - unhappy - was the way he thought it should be. Probably like Dickens killing off Little Nell or whoever "for dramatic emphasis".

Wonder if there is a book of plays with changed endings. Julius Caesar with "t'was only a flesh wound" and he takes Brutus to court. The Second Mrs Tanqueray without, you know. Macbeth with a conversion to democratically elected peaceful government in Scotland. Richard the 3rd with a farmer who has an extra horse showing up. Cleopatra with a fangless asp. Lear's daughters running AirB&Bs that the King travels between. Sounds like something that Punch would have done - they did do a book of sequels that we recorded.....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 21st, 2020, 8:03 amWonder if there is a book of plays with changed endings. Julius Caesar with "t'was only a flesh wound" and he takes Brutus to court. The Second Mrs Tanqueray without, you know. Macbeth with a conversion to democratically elected peaceful government in Scotland. Richard the 3rd with a farmer who has an extra horse showing up. Cleopatra with a fangless asp. Lear's daughters running AirB&Bs that the King travels between.
:lol: these are all hilarious plays that I would enjoy being part of.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 is ready for final PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 21st, 2020, 1:37 pm Act 2 is ready for final PL.
wanted to go to bed but now I did still listen to it all :9: great funny scenes at the beginning but then it rapidly changes into one disaster after another. What drama ! Excellently played again and excellently edited.

I have only two minor details for intro and outro this time: (yes I feel picky now :oops: )

> at 0:16: "the weaker sex, the second act" - in the other acts you don't repeat the title here

> at 43:06: "end of the second act" or "end of act 2" - I think one version can be cut - in act 3 you had "end of act 3"

other than that, all perfect. I'll wait a bit longer to Spot PL, but if you're not online, it has to wait till tomorrow

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 ready for Spot PL.

Sorry to be offline - it was time to go see the Jupiter/Saturn planetary conjunction at sunset here.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 21st, 2020, 4:32 pmAct 3 ready for Spot PL.
Sorry to be offline - it was time to go see the Jupiter/Saturn planetary conjunction at sunset here.
sounds like fun. Well now it is PL ok and you can catalogue this gem :clap:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Uploaded to Archive. Now we see how long it takes for them to finish deriving all the various file types they offer. They have been a bit overwhelmed lately so it may take most of the day.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-weaker-sex-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Thank you all. Another Pinero is already running, and more to come....

Todd