[GROUP] Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837 - dl

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

:shock: Thanks for that comprehensive PL. I think I was using the text view when I copied to my 'script' to read.
But your comment "4:13--you say "1857" instead of "1837" (in the title for item 31)" I see 1857 in both versions (there is an 1837 in item 30)
Anyway, here is the edited version...
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_02_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3
4:40
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

aradlaw wrote: April 19th, 2023, 7:53 am :shock: Thanks for that comprehensive PL. I think I was using the text view when I copied to my 'script' to read.
But your comment "4:13--you say "1857" instead of "1837" (in the title for item 31)" I see 1857 in both versions (there is an 1837 in item 30)
Anyway, here is the edited version...
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_02_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3
4:40
Thanks!

Yeah, the font is rather weird for the 3's. It also makes sense contextually because this was published in 1837...BUT in the end it doesn't really matter that much. :)

Either Charlieh or I will SPL this soon.

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Alek

Post by Alek »

Hi, can I claim:
- documents 27 and 28 (sec. 30 and 31)
- the first two Laws sections (sec. 36 and 37)
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Alek wrote: April 25th, 2023, 4:10 pm Hi, can I claim:
- documents 27 and 28 (sec. 30 and 31)
- the first two Laws sections (sec. 36 and 37)
Hi, Alek,

Sure! I've provisionally assigned them to you. Before I can do assign them in the system, I need to know what you want your catalog name to be (this is what will display on the LibriVox.org catalog and is how people will find other books you've read if they enjoy listening to you). Many people use their real names. Others, like me, use a pseudonym and/or their forum name to preserve some anonymity for whatever reason.

I will say that these are definitely more difficult sections than usual here at LibriVox. Did you read the instructions regarding the tables (Sec. 30 and 31)? Those are in the first post.

Definitely let me know if you have questions. If you end up not enjoying these or feeling like you can't do them, just let me know. No shame here!

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Alek

Post by Alek »

stepheather wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:29 pm Hi, Alek,

Sure! I've provisionally assigned them to you. Before I can do assign them in the system, I need to know what you want your catalog name to be (this is what will display on the LibriVox.org catalog and is how people will find other books you've read if they enjoy listening to you). Many people use their real names. Others, like me, use a pseudonym and/or their forum name to preserve some anonymity for whatever reason.

I will say that these are definitely more difficult sections than usual here at LibriVox. Did you read the instructions regarding the tables (Sec. 30 and 31)? Those are in the first post.

Definitely let me know if you have questions. If you end up not enjoying these or feeling like you can't do them, just let me know. No shame here!

Thanks,
Stephanie
Hi Stephanie,

Just list me as Alek. I did read the table instructions, and it's how I would've thought to do it: column headers first, then each row along with the respective column heads, so you hear, say, Potawotomee tribe, how much land given ("""given"""), how much land received, paid how much, then Menominee tribe, how much land given, paid how much, etc. So you don't see the whole table laid out, but each row has a comprehensible unit of information. I'm neurodivergent enough that I can't always tell what people who don't have my brain are going to find difficult or easy, so I can't tell what specifically made you ask this question; setting up my forum account was really hard for me, but the law sections don't look much harder than the romantic novel I also signed up for, and the tables look soothing. I mean, and some of it looks infuriating, but that's why I figured I'd alternate with a romantic novel. And yeah, it is good to know I can back out if it's more than I expected or if anything changes on my end :-)

Thanks,
- Alek
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Alek wrote: April 26th, 2023, 12:04 pm
Hi Stephanie,

Just list me as Alek. I did read the table instructions, and it's how I would've thought to do it: column headers first, then each row along with the respective column heads, so you hear, say, Potawotomee tribe, how much land given ("""given"""), how much land received, paid how much, then Menominee tribe, how much land given, paid how much, etc. So you don't see the whole table laid out, but each row has a comprehensible unit of information. I'm neurodivergent enough that I can't always tell what people who don't have my brain are going to find difficult or easy, so I can't tell what specifically made you ask this question; setting up my forum account was really hard for me, but the law sections don't look much harder than the romantic novel I also signed up for, and the tables look soothing. I mean, and some of it looks infuriating, but that's why I figured I'd alternate with a romantic novel. And yeah, it is good to know I can back out if it's more than I expected or if anything changes on my end :-)

Thanks,
- Alek
Great! I asked the question because I’ve had people sign up for tables without reading the instructions. And I’m very glad it makes sense to more than just my brain. :lol:

I mentioned them being more difficult because some (probably most) readers would find them boring, which means they might struggle to complete them—and the listener can tell when the reader’s bored. I personally find them fascinating. 8-)

If the tables look soothing—excellent. You’re likely one of the readers who can do well with these sections!

Welcome aboard. You can start recording. I just have to get some time at my computer to fix the Magic Window before it shows there.

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

JonathanPruett

Post by JonathanPruett »

May I please be assigned section 1?

Thanks
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

JonathanPruett wrote: April 28th, 2023, 5:59 pm May I please be assigned section 1?

Thanks
Welcome to the team. I've assigned it to you!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Alek

Post by Alek »

Section 33, weighing in at 30:24:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_33_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

I have not edited this in any way. Happy to learn how to edit these in the future but this is my first recording for Librivox, and I think I saw advice at some point to not edit your first project? In any case, please let me know what needs to be different here!
Alek

Post by Alek »

Alek wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:47 pm Section 33, weighing in at 30:24:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_33_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

I have not edited this in any way. Happy to learn how to edit these in the future but this is my first recording for Librivox, and I think I saw advice at some point to not edit your first project? In any case, please let me know what needs to be different here!
I just realized I misunderstood the section numbers! I assumed the section number was the same as the document number, but I see that the section number is the magic window line number. Sorry about that! This is section *36.* So the filename is wrong, and I'll have to rerecord the intro at least. I'm not sure if fixing the filename and reuploading would make things better or worse on the back end, so I'll hold off for now.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Alek wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:51 pm
Alek wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:47 pm Section 33, weighing in at 30:24:

I just realized I misunderstood the section numbers! I assumed the section number was the same as the document number, but I see that the section number is the magic window line number. Sorry about that! This is section *36.* So the filename is wrong, and I'll have to rerecord the intro at least. I'm not sure if fixing the filename and reuploading would make things better or worse on the back end, so I'll hold off for now.
Hi, Alek,

Good catch. After you edit the file, reupload with the correct file name. The system overwrites files that have the same name, but saves the old version somewhere. I'm not an admin, so an MC (meta coordinator) would have to explain how difficult it is. Thankfully, you have not overwritten someone else's file, so there are absolutely no worries--and even if you had, the MC should be able to get it back. Still, we like to keep the demands on the MC down. This means if you have PL (proof listening) notes and you edit your file, you just reupload with the same file name and the MC doesn't have to search for it to make sure the right one is catalogued. (Too much explanation, I'm sure!)

Okay, I only have about 5 minutes at the moment, but I have enough info to get you started on the editing. Please excuse any brusqueness here, but I'll also try to briefly explain.

1. For everything except dramatic works and the short, weekly, and biweekly poetry collections (in my knowledge), the MW section numbers are what you use in your intro. This allows chapters longer than 74 minutes (CD length) to be broken up, but still allows the listener to make sure they haven't skipped a section somewhere.

2. Have you watched Phil's or Adrian's YouTube videos on recording and editing? There's a list of Adrian's at viewtopic.php?t=78647. I think Phil's are linked on the wiki page (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos). Please cherry pick what you want to watch. I still want to watch all of them, but haven't yet--just the ones that dealt with my problems.

3. Download Checker if you can. It's free and works on a Mac (I looked at your posts to see what feedback was given for your initial test). When I test this file by dropping it into the Checker window, I see that it's above our dB range (86-91). One of Phil's videos discusses how to use the Loudness Normalization tool (set to around -20 dB for perceived loudness). I prefer this to the other methods out there, but that's just personal preference. It works well for my voice.

4. Go ahead and edit out the mistakes and make it run as smoothly as you can. I'd have to listen to more than I did (just the first minute and a half) to know if there were other issues. Common ones include mouth noise/clicks and plosives, which can be addressed using the de-clicker (search this thread for explanation: viewtopic.php?t=83012) and the high-pass filter (see the wiki https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Detailed_Audacity_Noise_Removal). I did not hear any of those, but I was on my phone instead of on the computer with headphones.

And that took more like 12 minutes to type up, so I've got to go get ready to leave the house. Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Congratulations on your first submission!

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

JonathanPruett

Post by JonathanPruett »

I have uploaded section 1 for review and consideration.

Length 16:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_1_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

Thanks for your feedback,
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Alek wrote: April 29th, 2023, 5:51 pm
Hi Alex,
When you edit the corrections to the intro & outro and renumber the file to 36, just upload and post the file here. When I see this I will delete your original file (33) to avoid confusion when someone does upload their file 33. :wink:
* an uploaded replacement file causes the original file to be renamed with the date of change in case it is ever needed later on, so it is not lost.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

JonathanPruett wrote: April 30th, 2023, 2:40 pm I have uploaded section 1 for review and consideration.

Length 16:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/annualreportdec1837_1_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3

Thanks for your feedback,
Sorry to butt in here, (I noticed your post above) Jonathan, you need the 01 in the filename to keep all the files in order. :wink:
annualreportdec1837_01_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3
David Lawrence

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Thanks for picking up the slack here, David.

I hope to look at these items in the next few days. I have had real-life stuff and a longish recording of my own that's due (still not *quite* done with the edits on that).

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes