Some books entering the public domain in the USA in 2023

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:32 am
KevinS wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:22 am I think just the stand alone novel The Small Bachelor, but I could be wrong.
Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Looks like you're correct, though it might be difficult to find the edition printed in 1927 in Great Britain. The U.S. edition is from 1928 and likely could not be used as a resource in 2023. (We will leave that up to the experts!)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

KevinS wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:14 am
InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:32 am
KevinS wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:22 am I think just the stand alone novel The Small Bachelor, but I could be wrong.
Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Looks like you're correct, though it might be difficult to find the edition printed in 1927 in Great Britain. The U.S. edition is from 1928 and likely could not be used as a resource in 2023. (We will leave that up to the experts!)
I just did a quick search and the UK edition is indeed out there. So it should be ok regardless if someone wants to record it.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

flavo5000 wrote: December 30th, 2022, 6:50 am I just did a quick search and the UK edition is indeed out there. So it should be ok regardless if someone wants to record it.
Wodehouse is always fun! Thanks.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

flavo5000 wrote: December 30th, 2022, 6:50 am I just did a quick search and the UK edition is indeed out there. So it should be ok regardless if someone wants to record it.
Just remember that just because it's "out there" doesn't mean it's automatically ok. We'd need to actually find it, and use that edition to record. Using some other edition wouldn't work, even if the older edition is "out there" somewhere.
Devorah Allen
Out of town May 27-June 2.

Readers wanted for:
A Cabinet of Gems, Sir Philip Sidney and George MacDonald
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm
Just remember that just because it's "out there" doesn't mean it's automatically ok. We'd need to actually find it, and use that edition to record. Using some other edition wouldn't work, even if the older edition is "out there" somewhere.
Yes, indeed.

We won't be making the links until January 1st and after, though. And I suspect some of our usual sources won't be updating their records until sometime later in January. Hathi, for instance, will have to go from limited view to full view.

I suspect that Gutenberg remains our most reliable source. They'll catch up soon enough. With patience, we can have a full year of the new and, just maybe, finish all our current projects.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

From my perspective, I don't really focus on books becoming PD each year. There are still thousands (millions?) of books in the Public Domain from prior years, which haven't yet been created into ebooks, nor audio books. :D
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DACSoft wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:44 pm From my perspective, I don't really focus on books becoming PD each year. There are still thousands (millions?) of books in the Public Domain from prior years, which haven't yet been created into ebooks, nor audio books. :D
I agree, though I have to admit there are some books and authors that I really want to record and to get it done when I can. Perhaps it's because I'm older and won't have all that much time to get to things.

(I know, morbid. But true.)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Jo, Thanks for that link about PD day. There's an interesting page further down about the behaviour of the Conan Doyle estates attempts to extend Sherlock Holmes copyright beyond the legal limits.

... which reminds me .... I wonder if anyone has attempted to challenge the Agatha Christie estate's attempts to maintain copyright on her works.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Peter Why wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:31 am Jo, Thanks for that link about PD day. There's an interesting page further down about the behaviour of the Conan Doyle estates attempts to extend Sherlock Holmes copyright beyond the legal limits.

... which reminds me .... I wonder if anyone has attempted to challenge the Agatha Christie estate's attempts to maintain copyright on her works.

Peter
I wouldn't imagine so. I think based on what I've read in prior posts that it's one of those "better safe than sorry" kind of situations. Although I think if it were challenged the Christie estate wouldn't have a leg to stand if the files are recorded by someone in the US and they are hosted on US servers (which they are). Librivox isn't an LLC with a single person to trace back ownership to. It shouldn't matter who originally came up with the idea to do it.

But I mean, like mentioned earlier in the thread, there are hundreds of thousands or possibly even millions of books unrecorded, so why sweat a few by someone famous? Granted, it'd be mighty tempting to do Murder of Roger Ackroyd, one of my favorite Christie novels.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LM Montgomery's "Emily's Quest" was published in 1927. It's the third in the trilogy.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

flavo5000 wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:14 pm
Peter Why wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:31 am Jo, Thanks for that link about PD day. There's an interesting page further down about the behaviour of the Conan Doyle estates attempts to extend Sherlock Holmes copyright beyond the legal limits.

Peter
I wouldn't imagine so. I think based on what I've read in prior posts that it's one of those "better safe than sorry" kind of situations. Although I think if it were challenged the Christie estate wouldn't have a leg to stand if the files are recorded by someone in the US and they are hosted on US servers (which they are). Librivox isn't an LLC with a single person to trace back ownership to. It shouldn't matter who originally came up with the idea to do it.

But I mean, like mentioned earlier in the thread, there are hundreds of thousands or possibly even millions of books unrecorded, so why sweat a few by someone famous? Granted, it'd be mighty tempting to do Murder of Roger Ackroyd, one of my favorite Christie novels.
The solution is to live to 2042! Or is it 2043?
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

KevinS wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:40 pm

Peter

I mean, I'm only 41 so hopefully that's possible....
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:40 pm

Peter

2047, I guess. Died in '76, and Canada is now Life+70 for deaths after 1971.

A couple I just removed off the list stickied to the top of the forum:

The Magic Garden by Gene Stratton Porter First published posthumously in 1927, copyright later renewed, US copyright now expires in 2023.

Oil, by Upton Sinclair
First published in 1927, copyright renewed 1954, US copyright expires 31 Dec 2022, will be Public Domain 1 Jan 2023.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The list is looking good!

I've been going through the government 1927 copyright lists and have found many titles, though probably they are interesting only to me.

Anyone for the Dawes Plan? Poems for Workers?