[COMPLETE] Supplemental Nights to The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night, Vol. 13 - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Part 1 of Aladdin is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_03_anonymous_128kb.mp3

The textual errata:
516th:
. . . and representative and æwhoso leaveth issue dieth not
Read whoso

Inshallah ûGod willingû on the morrow I will visit her
Read , God willing,

and ceased to say her permitted say,
Read say.

518th:
When it was ad the Five Hundred and Eighteenth Night
Read When it was the

Then Quoth I to myself, æO man,75 how long wilt thou wander
Read 'O man

by him who hath found mercy for that æwhoso leaveth issue is not wholly dead
Read 'whoso

519th:
thou goest about in such ungraciousness? 'tis a disgrace to thee and unsuitable for men like thyself.
Read ’Tis

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The second installment of Aladdin: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_04_anonymous_128kb.mp3

The textual errata:

530th:
. . . remembered the Moorman's saying when giving him the Ring So he rejoiced exceedingly
Read the Ring. So he . . .
. . . and when the sheen of day and the thine of sun smote his face he found himself unable to keep his eyes open
Read shine (See also 558.)

531th:
. . . he was astounded at finding himself without the Hoard-door whereby he had passed in.
When it was opened by the Maghrabi, the Magician; especially as the adit had been lidded and the ground had been smoothed, showing no sign whatever of entrance.
Read in when??? (The paragraph division, too, is needless and confusing.)

533rd:

. . . æFirst hand me the Lamp!'
Read ‘First hand me the Lamp!'
. . . æO my uncle
Read ‘O

535th:
. . . we have eaten our full of the good things wherewith He hath favoured us and thou hast no pretext for saying to me, æI am anhungered.'
Read our fill???
Read ‘I am anhungered.'
. . . this be the same who saved thee when thou west within the Enchanted Hoard.
Read wast

536th:
Do, O my son, whatso thou wiliest . . .
Read willest

540th:
. . . his gaze was dazed, the love of her get hold of the whole of his heart. . . .
Read gat???

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

chymocles wrote: December 20th, 2022, 8:17 am The second installment of Aladdin: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_04_anonymous_128kb.mp3

The textual errata:

530th:
. . . remembered the Moorman's saying when giving him the Ring So he rejoiced exceedingly
Read the Ring. So he . . .
. . . and when the sheen of day and the thine of sun smote his face he found himself unable to keep his eyes open
Read shine (See also 558.)

531th:
. . . he was astounded at finding himself without the Hoard-door whereby he had passed in.
When it was opened by the Maghrabi, the Magician; especially as the adit had been lidded and the ground had been smoothed, showing no sign whatever of entrance.
Read in when??? (The paragraph division, too, is needless and confusing.)

533rd:

. . . æFirst hand me the Lamp!'
Read ‘First hand me the Lamp!'
. . . æO my uncle
Read ‘O

535th:
. . . we have eaten our full of the good things wherewith He hath favoured us and thou hast no pretext for saying to me, æI am anhungered.'
Read our fill???
Read ‘I am anhungered.'
. . . this be the same who saved thee when thou west within the Enchanted Hoard.
Read wast

536th:
Do, O my son, whatso thou wiliest . . .
Read willest

540th:
. . . his gaze was dazed, the love of her get hold of the whole of his heart. . . .
Read gat???

Tom
This is on my list for PL
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Aladdin Part 3 is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_05_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Textual emendations:

542nd:
. . . withal do not these words of thee divert me from my design at all, at all Nor the less do I hope of thee . . .
Read at all. Nor

544th:
. . . the Lady Badr al-Badur? I indeed dare not say to him, æI want thy daughter!' when he shall ask me, æWhat is thy want?' for know thou, O my son, that my tongue will be tied. And, granting that Allah assist me and I embolden myself to say to him, æMy wish
Read Budur . . . ‘I . . . ‘What . . . ‘My

545th:
"And in reply I ask of him that which thou desirest in the matter of thy marriage with his daughter, how shall I answer him . . .
A good case could be made for replacing “And” with “An” here although these conjunctions have been used interchangeably in folk literature because ignorant people do not distinguish between them. However, the copytext must be followed.

. . . how shall I answer him an he ask me, as is man's wont, What estates hast thou, and what income?
Read “What . . . income?”
Alaeddin replied, " 'tis not possible . . .
Read “‘Tis

546th:
O my lord the Sultan, said the other, verily women be weakly of wits . . .
Read Sultan, said

547th:
. . . he said to me, æKnow thou, O mother mine, that . . .
Read ‘Know

548th:
Then he turned O Wazir? Tell me hast thou to his Minister and asked, What sayest thou, seen in thy time such mighty fine jewels as these?”
Read Then he turned to his Minister and asked, “What sayest thou, O Wazir? Hast thou seen in thy time such mighty fine jewels as these?”

550th:
But at the hour when he knew that the Servitor would be coming, he arose and refired to his chamber
Read retired
O Princess of fair ones, think not that I brought thee hither hither to minish thy honour.
Delete one “hither”

552nd:
. . . and I I had nor heart nor tongue to speak him withal
Read and I

553rd:
. . . haply shall he say, æVerily, the Sultan's daughter hath lost her wits.'
Read ‘Verily
. . . the wedding fÛtes . . .
I can’t imagine what this word may be: fêtes?

554th:
When the Lady Badar al- Badur saw her sire in high dudgeon . . .
Read Budur

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 2 is PL ok.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Good news! Thanks.

The fourth installment of Aladdin: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_06_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Textual emendations:

557th:
for, after I addressed the King in thy name as thou badest me say, æIn very sooth the promised term is past,' adding æ 'Twere well an thy Highness would deign issue commandment for the espousals of thy daughter the Lady Badr al-Budur to my son Alaeddin he turned to and addressed the Minister . . .
Read ‘In and ‘Twere and Alaeddin’
558th:
the sheen outshot from them dulled the thine of sun.
Read shine

559th:
. . . he bethought him that within a hour or so all these treasures had been collected. Presently he commended the slave-girls to enter . . .
Read an hour? And commanded?

560th:
But he also said to me, æLet thy son come hither forthright that I may become familiar with him and receive him with all honour and worship.'
Read ‘Let
" 'tis my desire that thou take me to a Hammam whose like is not in the world
Read “’Tis

561st:
. . . each white slave may carry a thousand gold pieces. 'tis now my intent to fare to the Sultan . . .
Read “’Tis

562nd:
. . .indeed the generosity of thy Highness demanded that thou deign vouchsafe to me the hand of thy daughter, the Lady Badr al-Budur, albeit I undeserve the greatness of such gift, I being but the humblest of thy slaves I pray Allah grant thee prosperity and perpetuance;
Read slaves. I pray ?

563rd
. . . I deem the best for thee will be yonder broad plain facing my palace; and, if it please the build thy pavilion thereupon." "And this," answered Alaeddin "is the sum of my wishes that I may be nearhand to thy Highness.
Read thee, and Highness.”

. . . and be hold, the Slave stood before him . . .
Read behold

564th:
. . . Quoth the other, "demand of thee a carpet of the primest brocade all gold-inwrought which, when unrolled and outstretched, shall extend hence to the Sultan's palace . . .
Read “I demand

565th:
But the Wazir in his envy of Alaeddin replied, æO King of the Age, indeed this foundation and this building and this opulence may not be save by means of magic nor can any man in the world, be he the richest in good or the greatest in governance, avail to found and finish in a single night such edifice as this."
Read “O

Thou west present when I gave him the ground
Read wast

566th:
ceased to say her per misted say.
Read permitted

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 3 is PL ok.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 4 is PL ok.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Question for Kazbek: I'm not altogether sure what "standard" PLing involves, but I wonder if it can be stretched to the omission of a single word. I've come upon a passage containing a serious error in diction: "After this he fared forth the city and finding the Devotee's cavern, entered it and saw her lying prostrate219 with her back upon a strip of matting. So he came for ward and mounted upon her belly. . . ." The note (219) indicates, among many other things that the proper word is not "prostrate" but "supine." Suppose I simply omit "prostrate" altogether. Is this permissible?

Tom
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

chymocles wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:11 pm Question for Kazbek: I'm not altogether sure what "standard" PLing involves, but I wonder if it can be stretched to the omission of a single word. I've come upon a passage containing a serious error in diction: "After this he fared forth the city and finding the Devotee's cavern, entered it and saw her lying prostrate219 with her back upon a strip of matting. So he came for ward and mounted upon her belly. . . ." The note (219) indicates, among many other things that the proper word is not "prostrate" but "supine." Suppose I simply omit "prostrate" altogether. Is this permissible?
If I understand correctly, your question is not about standard PL, but rather whether you as soloist can decide to omit this word. As a general rule, we allow correction of typos and similar errors. In this case, the word is obviously wrong based on the context, so I think it's ok to omit it. I'm not sure the footnote provides any further indication of that in mentioning popular beliefs relating to the two postures, unless we know from the rest of the story that the character is a saint.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The answer might be different if the author were prone (no pun intended) to solecisms and malapropisms, in which case this could be considered more like a peculiarity of their style than a typo, but I don't believe this is the case with Richard Burton.

Michael
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 5 is PL Ok.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks for the ruling. I will omit the word rather than replacing it with "supine" from the footnote.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The final two installments of ALADDIN are complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_07_anonymous_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/arabiannights13_08_anonymous_128kb.mp3

The Textual Errata (I think I will submit these to Gutenberg now.)

569th:
. . . æWith love and good will."
Read “With

These words certified the King that his Minister spake not except in envy end jealousy of Alaeddin
Read and
572nd:
Then the Sultan came clown and entered the apartments of his daughter . . .
Read down

573rd:
. . . do tell us some of thy pleasant tales.” whereupon Shahrazad replied,
Read .” W

575th:
When it was the, Five Hundred and Seventy-fifth Night,
Read the, Five

576th:
æBring the old lamp which thou saidst to have seen in thy lord's apartment."
Read “Bring

577th:
said, æPardon, O King of the Age, may Allah avert from thee every ill! Wherefore art thou in such sorrow?"
Read “Pardon

578th:
"O traitor, cried the King, "unto this present I knew not any sin of thine;"
Read traitor,” cried
and ceased to say her permitted say,
Read say,

581st:
. . . direct one of thy women to stand by the private pastern . . .
Here the slave-girl opened to him the private pastern . . .
Read postern (A pastern is part of a horse’s foot.)

582nd:
When it Was the Five Hundred and Eighty-second Night,
Change font.
. . .do thou receive him with a æWelcome and fair welcome,' . . .
Read ‘Welcome

583rd:
Thereat he hew for joy and meaning to do the like, raised her cup to his mouth and drank off the whole contents . . .
I do not find “hew” in this sense in the OED, but “flew” would make sense, and it is suggested by the following alternate translation: “. . . whereat he was like to fly for joy and purposing to do even as she had done, raised the cup to his mouth and drank it all off” (EBook #5100, Produced by JC Byers, and David Widger).
I must add that there are two other places in this installment—the princess’s remark to the Moorman upon his return with the wine and, later, the exchange of cups—that make little sense. Could there be some corruption that is not manifested in spelling?

584th:
The Alaeddin went and sat down with his wife . . .
Read Then

so they ceased not doing thus until the wine-sun arose in their heads and sleep get hold of them . . .
Read got

585th:
But mighty sadness and sorrow get about me . . .
Read got

586th:
. . . then he set out and cut across the wilds and words and heights for the space of many a month . . .
Read woods

587th:
The Moorman rejoined, " 'tis true, O my lord . . .
Read “‘Tis
So he came for ward and mounted upon her belly
Read forward

Tom
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 6 is PL ok.
The intro to each chapter has now taken its rightful place in my mind next to the Libirivox intro! :D :lol:
Last edited by brownrottger on December 24th, 2022, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.