[COMPLETE] Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

This project really interests me, as I love history in general (am finishing up a Librivox chapter on Empress Josephine), love Lucretia and the history of the Borgia and Este family and mostly because I have lived in an area that lies between Bologna, Modena and Ferrara for the last 25 years. I am American-born but fluent in Italian so the pronunciation comes naturally. I couldn't manage a solo job, but was thinking of taking a larger section, perhaps it could be split among 2 readers and I could take the first or second book. The timing would have to be generous though. Could you give me some feedback?

Ciao,

Amy
(reader name: Emily Maynard)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI Amy/Emily,

thanks for your interest in this project :clap: I have thought about your suggestion a bit, and it's hard to make a project a duet once it is out here, often duets are arranged before posting, so I cannot promise anything in this respect.

However, what about the following:
- I sign you up for all the sections and move this to going solo
- You start with the second book (because it's the shorter one)
- If you decide after the second book that you want to do the beginning as well, it's fine; and
- if you decide you don't want to continue, that's fine too. In that case I'll either move it back here or we can see if somebody is interested in the first book as a whole.

What do you think?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Thought about your proposal and it's a yes! What is the timing for such a reading? This is the longest one I've done so far.
Amy
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great! I'll set it up as a solo and move it over to the appropriate forum.

What do you mean with "timing"? A final deadline? Well, it's your solo, so technically you have as much time as you need.

I would still ask you to post in the thread at least once a month, just to indicate that you're still going strong. The reason why solo projects get abandoned is because people don't do that and disappear, and then, after waiting a while, we open them up as group project...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Just an update: Have been traveling in the States and am back now. Will give you a chapter or two next week, starting with the second section as you suggested. Just getting the ball rolling will make it easier. Thanks,

Amy
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great - thanks for letting me know!

You are right, it's easier once you start, it's often just the initial hurdle, really.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Amy, it's been a while - how have you been doing?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Hi, think we had some telepathy this afternoon! I just uploaded Book 1, Chapter 1. The reason I decided to start from the beginning was because this is as much as history lesson for me as anything else so if I delve right into Lucrezia in Book 2, I would have been missing a big part of the story. Is this ok? I will edit Chapter 2 by the end of the week, and should have more time this summer to forge ahead. It is a huge project, though, and I am a bit intimated by its length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/lucretiaborgia_01_gregorovius.mp3

When the proofreader gets down to listening, I just realized I may have skipped saying "Book 1" and said only Chapter 1. I am aware of this correction and will see to it should there be others.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Amy
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Telepathy indeed! :lol:

Thanks for your file, I have entered it into the Magic Window. Have a look at what goes where and then please add the duration of the file to the "notes" field instead of the word count. I have also amended the first post with the "short disclaimer"that you can use now that this is a solo recording.

Don't worry about timing here, you can go at your own pace, as long as you keep us updated that you are still doing something. I understand the intimidation part (that's why I mostly read rather short solos), but don't forget: How do you read a long book? One chapter at a time :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

When the proofreader gets down to listening, I just realized I may have skipped saying "Book 1" and said only Chapter 1. I am aware of this correction and will see to it should there be others.
You are right, Amy. You left out Book 1 both in the intro and the trailer. Everything else was perfect, though! You have such a warm, rich voice! I'll just mark it with See PL Notes for those two little edits.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Ok, thanks everyone. :P But I need a little help with the intro script.
When I redo intro I say:

Book the First - Lucretia in Rome
Book 1, Chapter 1 of Lucretia Borgia . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
Recording by Emily Maynard
Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius. Translated by John Leslie Garner, Book 1, Chapter 1 Lucretia's Father

(There is some redundancy here so it doesn't sound quite right)

Then for Chapter 2 etc. (until Book the Second)

Book 1, Chapter 2 of Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
Book 1, Chapter 2, Lucretia's Mother

Then when the file is ready I should resend with indication of file length(?)

GRAZIE!!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It gets a bit confusing with book and chapter and sections and whatnot... Here is my suggestion - as you are the soloist, you can choose of course, as long as you are consistent almost everything is fine.

The very first section is the Dedication/Introduction, there you would need the full disclaimer:

Intro for the very first section 0:
Introduction of Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius. Translated by John Leslie Garner.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius. Translated by John Leslie Garner. Dedication and Introduction

Then we can move on to the other sections:
Intro for further sections:
Book 1, Chapter 1 of Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius.
(OR:
section 1 of Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius. - that's the number in front of that line in the magic window)
This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
Book the first: Lucretia in Rome, Chapter 1, Lucretia's Father
(Later, only book 1, Chapter x is ok I think)

outro, corresponding to the intro:
End of Introduction
AND LATER:
End of Book 1, Chapter 1
OR
End of section 1

In the very last section I would repeat the translator again in the intro; also you need to add "End of Lucretia Borgia by Ferdinand Gregorovius, Translated by John Leslie Garner" at the very end of the outro.

Phew... Let me know if you have questions!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Very clear, thank you. Good thing I asked :?
AmyS

Post by AmyS »

Uploaded Section 1 (with corrections) and Section 2. Will try to do a few more in the coming weeks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/lucretiaborgia_01_gregorovius_128kb.mp3 (run time: 12.22)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/lucretiaborgia_02_gregorovius_128kb.mp3 (run time: 8.26)

Thanks!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK. I did paste the URLs into the MW before listening to them, as the file name of Section 1 had changed and I wanted it to be clear which one I had reviewed. Hope that was OK, Availle.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!