The Excellent Voice of Peter Yearsley

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Sandra, I'll send that Zelazny poem as a PM; I'm uncertain of the legality of simply posting it here.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kri

Post by kri »

Sandra wrote:
Peter Why wrote:...has a flavour of the devout (?) mathematician's feeling ... which came over best for me in a TV film called "Fermat's Last Theorum", where you could see the love of the mathematician who solved it for his life work .. and see him in tears when he described how a friend had pointed out an error in his first "solution".

Perhaps it's only love and the sadness of the ending of love that can be transmitted in this way?

Peter
My father was a devout theoretical mathematician who loved poetry. He found eloquence in things such as the contiuum hypothesis, not to mention the works of Godel on incompleteness (now there's a subject for poetry).

Would it be too obscure to present mathematical masterpieces on LibriVox? Public domain stuff, of course... :?: Heaven knows who could tackle such a project. Definitely not Yours Truly, I'm afraid. But somebody out there could, and enjoy it as well.
Oh, we're already doing mathematical projects. There's a collaborative project for the Primes, someone's doing Pi, and there's another one around here I think.