LibriVox in Libraries?

Non-reading activities need your help too!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

If you haven't already been there, check out the Promotional Material wiki page. I can't think of much beyond that, except maybe printed copies of the catalog pages of some of the more well-known works.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
lezer

Post by lezer »

Or take a printed catalog list such as : http://librivox.org/newcatalog/text_catalog.php
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

lezer wrote:Or take a printed catalog list such as : http://librivox.org/newcatalog/text_catalog.php
The only thing about that... is that it contains many recordings that are not legal to download over here (author's death +70) :cry:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cyclometh

Post by Cyclometh »

As soon as I hear back from my local library, I'm going to start making some CDs. I'm giving some serious thought to a set of CDs published as ISOs+artwork so anyone can make them and take the same exact "edition" to their library, making them somewhat standardized, and possibly easier for various institutions to feel comfortable taking on.

Down the road a bit, if I can isolate exactly how much it costs in materials, I'm thinking it might be interesting to see if people would be willing to foot the bill to send a batch of CDs to their local library- I'd do the duplicating and assembly, then ship them, in return for a percentage of the cost of materials (like CDs, printing and jewel cases). Not to make money but to keep from losing one's shirt, if you take my meaning.

That way someone without the hardware or know-how to make CDs and jewel cases (or without the time), could simply send 10 bucks or something to get 20 audiobooks into their library.

Also would be possible to let libraries create their own copies by simply using the electronic media.

Could be quite a cool undertaking. :)
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

LibriVox to library - great idea!!!

I went to my local library today and asked if they are interested.

Well, hm, not enough space. Well, hm, self made CDs without cover ...

But she got very interested when I told her that most of the recordings are in English, because she was just about buying some English recordings and that we have covers.

So, my recordings will not make it into my library but English and Frensh readers have a good chance to be world famous quite soon (in the tiny city I live in that is :wink: )
Cross you fingers.
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Librivox is directly linked from the audiobooks page in the catalog of my local library service.
sweet_byrd

Post by sweet_byrd »

As a librarian. I would say that if the library is not able (or willing) to catalog individual titles, the best bet would be to try and get the LibriVox site linked from the library's website with a brief description. That way the librarians will have it in a handy place, and at least some patrons will find it on their own. It isn't perfect, but it is better than nothing.
https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=5394
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

As a British librarian, I agree with Sweet_Byrd - it is time-consuming and expensive to catalogue individual items; libraries order stock from big suppliers and those suppliers sort out the cataloguing for us. With so many libraries under threat of closure and so few trained staff left, we are unlikely to choose to stock anything we can't find on the suppliers' lists, ie things with an ISBN. Either Librivox needs to talk to the suppliers (I don't fancy our chances) or (our best bet) persuade the librarians (if you can still find any!) to put a link on the libraries' website. (Necessary disclaimer - Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation I may be associated with)
behanner

Post by behanner »

So basically we need MARC records for all LibriVox works?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hmmm... we did have MARC21 records, but when I try and access them I am told I am forbidden. Yet another thing to try and discover what has gone wrong. Sigh.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
behanner

Post by behanner »

It would seem to me that MARC records librarians could drop into their OPAC would be a good general solution to the issue.