COMPLETE: Tales of 1928: A Selection of Folktales, Fables, and Legends from Books Published in 1928-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

alanmapstone wrote: January 19th, 2024, 6:36 am Hi Laura
May I read the first section "The Cranes of Ibycus"?
DONE: you are now the assigned reader in the magic window!
This is my first time to try to coordinate a group project (the magic window is feeling especially magical as a result, ha ha), and I feel like it is extra good luck for me that you are my first reader.
I'm prooflistening also, so it will be such a pleasure to hear your recording.
I hope your New Year is off to a good start! :-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I have 15, 16 (just had to pick this one, you know :wink: ) and 19?

So glad that you have Rapunzelina to guide you through the waters! She is so talented, with tons of experience.

Just wonder if you might want to have the full title and long disclaimer for the first story (Alan can handle it) and maybe for the final end of book "outro."

Anyway, I'll stay out of this and stick to reading on this one.

All the best with the project, Laura!

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

silverquill wrote: January 19th, 2024, 12:55 pm May I have 15, 16 (just had to pick this one, you know :wink: ) and 19?

So glad that you have Rapunzelina to guide you through the waters! She is so talented, with tons of experience.

Just wonder if you might want to have the full title and long disclaimer for the first story (Alan can handle it) and maybe for the final end of book "outro."

Anyway, I'll stay out of this and stick to reading on this one.

All the best with the project, Laura!
Oooooh, yes: 15, 16, and 19 are yours, Larry! It is going to be so fun to hear your "lithping" hyena for the Waters of Ladi! I've marked those there in the magic window.

There were all kinds of things to figure out this first time around, and Rapunzelina found good solutions for everything! Now when I do this next time, I will have everything all lined up based on what I learned from this set-up. As you've probably guessed, I want to do this every year with a Tales of 1929 next January... and, depending on how long this takes to wrap up, I'm going to do a Tales of 1927, Tales of 1926 working backwards in time, because I've been celebrating Public Domain Day like this for several years now, and making these LibriVox anthologies is such an exciting way to share my discoveries with other people.

And I think I'm happy with having the same intro with the simple "Tales of 1928" ... these group ones always feel unusual for me because of the "For more information or to volunteer" in every intro, but I like having it be the same intro for all sections since there's not a foreword or preface or anything. And by the time we get to the book-end outro, ha ha, I think everybody can just breathe a sigh of relief (I know I will be breathing a sigh of relief!) and have it be just the short title also. I created the long title really just to facilitate search engine discovery in the LibriVox catalog and in the Internet Archive catalog, not so much because I need anybody to actually read it here. :-)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window looks amazing so I'll move us to Readers Wanted! :clap:

Have fun everyone!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

THANK YOU, Rapunzelina! I am really excited to see how this goes :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

:clap: Bravo for your anthology ambitions, Laura! You have become a real gem in the LibriVox community, and I'm sure there will be many people enjoying reading these, and LISTENING to them!

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

And I appreciate your help and encouragement so much, Larry! Your recommendation to do 20 stories was JUST RIGHT: it's the Goldilocks-solution -- not too many, not too few. Just the right amount. :thumbs:
brenda8mac

Post by brenda8mac »

Could I read stories #12 and #13 please?
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

brenda8mac wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:47 pm Could I read stories #12 and #13 please?
DONE! Those two stories are now assigned to you in the magic window.
Thank you so much for participating :-)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Laura
Re: section 1
How would like Ibycus pronounced?
I assume that Proserpine should be 4 syllables.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

alanmapstone wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:58 pm Hi Laura
Re: section 1
How would like Ibycus pronounced?
I assume that Proserpine should be 4 syllables.
Hi Alan! In English he's usually pronounced IB-i-cus. :-)

And for Proserpine, you can hear it both ways in English, 3 syllables or 4, but I like 4 syllables because that is how the Latin works:
Pro-SER-pi-neh
(it's probably some Roman variation on Per-SE-pho-neh)
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

Hello,
May I claim section #4?
a Jewish story: "The Story of Ashmedai" by Angelo S. Rappoport

I am new to the community, and it is my first time at claiming a section to read, so please coach me if I am doing so by incorrect measures.

Thank you,
J Go
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: January 21st, 2024, 2:24 pm Hello,
May I claim section #4?
a Jewish story: "The Story of Ashmedai" by Angelo S. Rappoport

I am new to the community, and it is my first time at claiming a section to read, so please coach me if I am doing so by incorrect measures.

Thank you,
J Go
Hello, J Go! You are new to the community, and I am new to organizing a book project (this is my first time to organize). I went to assign that section to you, but your dontburnthewitch did not appear in the dropdown menu, so I will check to see what I need to do. Meanwhile, I have assigned the section to myself just so that nobody else will claim it while I figure out what is required to get your name in the system.
That Rappoport book is amazing; all 3 volumes entered the public domain on January 1, and I'm just thrilled about that. I hope you will enjoy that particular story!

...okay, apparently I do have the power to add you to the system, yay! So here is the information I will need:
reader's forum username: I have this
catalog (display) name: let me know how you want your name displayed
a website: let me know if you have a website you want to be linked to
Last edited by laurakgibbs on January 21st, 2024, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4324GF

Post by 4324GF »

Hello

How Red Fox made fun of stubby tail? may I claim this chapter 17?

Please let me know

Thank you
Gila
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

4324GF wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:06 pm Hello

How Red Fox made fun of stubby tail? may I claim this chapter 17?

Please let me know

Thank you
Gila
Section 17 is yours, Gila! Enjoy! :-)
And if you are curious about the author, he is a really fascinating person in Native American storytelling history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Parker