[COMPLETE][Biography/Music]My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:08 pm
valroth wrote: January 28th, 2024, 11:10 amMay I claim Chapter 8 please? This looks like an interesting book!
thank you so much, Val, for making a start here :) section 8 is yours, and yes, I am looking forward to hearing his interesting life. If you need help with some foreign language parts, let me know

Sonia
Happy to jump in Sonia! I will definitely be contacting you regarding proper pronunciations—(that even with your careful coaching, I will no doubt mangle). :lol: But I'll give it my all! :D
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

I'm really glad to see this book is going to happen as a joint project. I'd like to take Section 5 (Liszt and Wagner).

WB
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bergmannw wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:10 pmI'm really glad to see this book is going to happen as a joint project. I'd like to take Section 5 (Liszt and Wagner).
so happy I'm going to hear your voice in this after all, thanks, it's yours. :)

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Hello,
I would like to volunteer for Chapter 18, Boston.

Thank you.

lkirk
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: January 30th, 2024, 9:59 amI would like to volunteer for Chapter 18, Boston.
hi again :) I thought this musical topic might interest you

thank you for claiming. But please be careful that this is section 25 for the intro/outro and filenaming.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Yes, the book looks interesting! I thought after I wrote that I should have used the section number rather than the
chapter number and I will be careful when doing the intro and file naming.

Thanks!
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 25 is ready for proof listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_25_damrosch_128kb.mp3

19:59

Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:09 pmSection 25 is ready for proof listening.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_25_damrosch_128kb.mp3
a perfect run-through, thank you so much. Our first PL ok section is in the box. Very interesting to read about the attitudes of people during the war, while art should have been separated from politics. :?

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you very much, I'm glad everything was OK! I will probably volunteer to do some additional sections that I find of interest and I wonder if there is any limit to how many I can do. Yes, it is interesting to see how politics and music can become so intertwined and complicated during periods of conflict. It would be nice just to have music in a different realm. Thanks.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: February 1st, 2024, 6:19 amI will probably volunteer to do some additional sections that I find of interest and I wonder if there is any limit to how many I can do.
no limit :) I'll be happy with anything you want to contribute

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Good, thank you. I will volunteer to do sections 27 and 28 now and may do more later. I hope other music lovers will discover this book and contribute as well because I think Damrosch writes in a vivid and interesting way about a variety of topics.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: February 1st, 2024, 8:14 amGood, thank you. I will volunteer to do sections 27 and 28 now and may do more later. I hope other music lovers will discover this book and contribute as well because I think Damrosch writes in a vivid and interesting way about a variety of topics.
thank you, they are yours. And yes, his style is good. I have not known anything about him prior to this book.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thanks. I didn't know very much about Damrosch either other than his role as a conductor in New York and I am glad to learn more. He has interesting anecdotes about the various musicians and others with whom he has worked and he provides more information in the various chapters about the attitudes regarding nationalism and music during times of conflict which can vary by country and within countries.
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Sonia,

Well apologies in advance for my interesting pronunciations of German names and towns. You coached me through several already, but I’m sure you’ll find more to giggle at! :-) I’m ready to be humbled, bring it on! :lol:

Loved this chapter!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_08_damrosch_128kb.mp3

Time: 28:29

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 10:44 amWell apologies in advance for my interesting pronunciations of German names and towns. You coached me through several already, but I’m sure you’ll find more to giggle at! :-) I’m ready to be humbled, bring it on! :lol:
Loved this chapter!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_08_damrosch_128kb.mp3
I very much enjoyed this chapter as well. Damrosch has a knack for lively writing of funny anecdotes. The Russian mausoleum had me go :shock: And the final error with the contrabassoon...nice to see this great man could also admit to a fault :lol:

As for your German, you did very well, it was all perfectly comprehensible. Very engagingly narrated, fitting well to the author's mood in writing it.

Totally PL ok, thank you Val. And I liked the way you enacted the musical notes. :thumbs: I trust you as to accurateness.

Sonia