COMPLETE Betty Wales Freshman by Margaret Warde - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

thechapterbrook wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:47 pm Interesting! I have the physical copy and read the introduction from that. The rest of the novel matches the same. Should I not include the introduction? It is a charming few paragraphs by Margret Ward about Betty and her friends. Thanks for the help!
Hmm, that does complicate things a bit. A lot of times, books are re-printed with a new introduction that carries its own, new copyright. We'd need to be sure your edition is also in the public domain. We'd have you upload a scan of the title page, which should include the copyright date(s). Let me know if you'd like to go this route, and I'll get you more detailed instructions.

Alternatively, if you can find an existing scan of your exact edition online (and if I can prove that its copyright is expired), then you could read from your book without scanning anything yourself. Update: I've had a look around some of the likely places, and none of the scans I've found include an introduction. If you'd like, I can ask for a more experienced searcher to give it a try.

If neither of those works out (or is worth the effort, but that's your decision), then we'd have you read from the Gutenberg or another Public Domain source, and unfortunately not from your physical book... so no Introduction, in that case.
thechapterbrook

Post by thechapterbrook »

redrun wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:03 pm
thechapterbrook wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:47 pm Interesting! I have the physical copy and read the introduction from that. The rest of the novel matches the same. Should I not include the introduction? It is a charming few paragraphs by Margret Ward about Betty and her friends. Thanks for the help!
Hmm, that does complicate things a bit. A lot of times, books are re-printed with a new introduction that carries its own, new copyright. We'd need to be sure your edition is also in the public domain. We'd have you upload a scan of the title page, which should include the copyright date(s). Let me know if you'd like to go this route, and I'll get you more detailed instructions.

Alternatively, if you can find an existing scan of your exact edition online (and if I can prove that its copyright is expired), then you could read from your book without scanning anything yourself. Update: I've had a look around some of the likely places, and none of the scans I've found include an introduction. If you'd like, I can ask for a more experienced searcher to give it a try.

If neither of those works out (or is worth the effort, but that's your decision), then we'd have you read from the Gutenberg or another Public Domain source, and unfortunately not from your physical book... so no Introduction, in that case.
Thanks for all the help! I have one book short of the full original 1904 copyright set of Betty Wales books. Here is the scan of the cover, copyright page and introduction. Let me know if this isn't the correct way to attach this scan. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19U72DsVXy9B47ou0sl62W2qL99GZVccm/view?usp=sharing
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

thechapterbrook wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:15 am Let me know if this isn't the correct way to attach this scan.
I'm finding that out myself, now. This'll be my first time MCing a project read from a physical book, so I'm checking with other MCs now. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, I've got the scoop from Jo, and we're on track.
I've uploaded that scan into my MC folder along with the the audio files, and I've set up the Introduction as section #00. You're good to go on uploading that introduction and on continuing to read from your physical book. Don't forget when you name the file, to give it a '00' as the section number, rather than just a '0'!

M, if you choose to refer to the text, the Gutenberg one should be just fine for the purpose. If you want to read along with the Introduction, that scan can be found at the Google link above, or here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/bettywalesfreshman_titlescan.pdf

And now that we're set up, I'm moving us from the launch pad to the Going Solo forum! :mrgreen:
thechapterbrook

redrun wrote: February 10th, 2024, 12:39 pm Alright, I've got the scoop from Jo, and we're on track.
I've uploaded that scan into my MC folder along with the the audio files, and I've set up the Introduction as section #00. You're good to go on uploading that introduction and on continuing to read from your physical book. Don't forget when you name the file, to give it a '00' as the section number, rather than just a '0'!

M, if you choose to refer to the text, the Gutenberg one should be just fine for the purpose. If you want to read along with the Introduction, that scan can be found at the Google link above, or here:

And now that we're set up, I'm moving us from the launch pad to the Going Solo forum! :mrgreen:
Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

redrun wrote: February 10th, 2024, 12:39 pm Alright, I've got the scoop from Jo, and we're on track.

Thank you for the link to the introduction. I'll go pull it down now.

M
thechapterbrook

Hello!
All the chapters are uploaded and ready for the next step! Thanks for listening!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Well, alright! You've put in a lot of work, and I'll be glad to help you with the next steps, and share it with the world!

(For next time, though, please make sure you get your project set up with an MC before you record too much, and only link an online text if you're going to read from that online text. Among other reasons, I would hate to have to tell you to start over!)

Next step, M will begin Proof-Listening the files and will let you know of any issues that need fixing. She might offer some optional suggestions as well, which will be up to you if you'd like to adjust. Please be patient, as we usually PL files as they're recorded, rather than all at once.

One of the most common issues we see is with the silence at the beginning and end of each file. Easy to fix: just cut and/or paste some of your silence until it matches the length specified in your first post. But it's easy to forget about, so we get a lot of chapters needing this little adjustment.
The requirement was added to avoid playback issues on some players, and we've come to rely on consistency of this for some of our tools. If it seems picky that we ask for such specific amounts of silence: it might be, but it's not without reason!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

The introduction was nicely read. The only things that need fixing are a couple of changes to meet LibriVox requirements.

please delete approximately 1.5 seconds of silence at the end so that there is around 5 seconds of silence

reduce volume by at least 0.5 dB but ideally by about 3 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB

I only looked at the first few sections in Checker - the volume is slightly high in all of them. You can either lower the volume now or wait until I listen and give you any other changes that might be necessary. Your actual reading is of high quality and quite enjoyable.

Just make those two simple changes to section 0 and repost and it should be PL OK.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Finished the first two chapters. Am really enjoying listening to you. You are a great reader. If it weren't for those pesky LibriVox settings both would be PL OK. But as it is:

Section 1:
  • please delete approximately 1 second of silence at the start so that there is around 0.5 to 1 second of silence
    please add about 1 second of silence to end so that there are around 5 seconds of silence
    reduce volume by at least 1 dB but ideally by about 4 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB
Section 2:
  • reduce volume by at least 0.5 dB but ideally by about 3 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB
    please delete about 1 second of silence at the end so that there are around 5 seconds of silence
Will listen to more tomorrow.

Thanks,

M
thechapterbrook

redrun wrote: February 11th, 2024, 8:12 am Well, alright! You've put in a lot of work, and I'll be glad to help you with the next steps, and share it with the world!

(For next time, though, please make sure you get your project set up with an MC before you record too much, and only link an online text if you're going to read from that online text. Among other reasons, I would hate to have to tell you to start over!)

Next step, M will begin Proof-Listening the files and will let you know of any issues that need fixing. She might offer some optional suggestions as well, which will be up to you if you'd like to adjust. Please be patient, as we usually PL files as they're recorded, rather than all at once.

One of the most common issues we see is with the silence at the beginning and end of each file. Easy to fix: just cut and/or paste some of your silence until it matches the length specified in your first post. But it's easy to forget about, so we get a lot of chapters needing this little adjustment.
The requirement was added to avoid playback issues on some players, and we've come to rely on consistency of this for some of our tools. If it seems picky that we ask for such specific amounts of silence: it might be, but it's not without reason!
Sounds good! Thank you!
thechapterbrook

mleigh wrote: February 11th, 2024, 8:36 pm The introduction was nicely read. The only things that need fixing are a couple of changes to meet LibriVox requirements.

please delete approximately 1.5 seconds of silence at the end so that there is around 5 seconds of silence

reduce volume by at least 0.5 dB but ideally by about 3 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB

I only looked at the first few sections in Checker - the volume is slightly high in all of them. You can either lower the volume now or wait until I listen and give you any other changes that might be necessary. Your actual reading is of high quality and quite enjoyable.

Just make those two simple changes to section 0 and repost and it should be PL OK.

Thanks,

M
Will do! Thank you so much!
thechapterbrook

mleigh wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm Finished the first two chapters. Am really enjoying listening to you. You are a great reader. If it weren't for those pesky LibriVox settings both would be PL OK. But as it is:

Section 1:
  • please delete approximately 1 second of silence at the start so that there is around 0.5 to 1 second of silence
    please add about 1 second of silence to end so that there are around 5 seconds of silence
    reduce volume by at least 1 dB but ideally by about 4 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB
Section 2:
  • reduce volume by at least 0.5 dB but ideally by about 3 dB to get near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB
    please delete about 1 second of silence at the end so that there are around 5 seconds of silence

Thanks,

M
Thank you so much! I adjusted the volume on three. Please let me know if I am on the right track and if it sounds better. Once I hear back then I will jump in and alter all the rest :) Thanks for the help!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

thechapterbrook wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:50 pm
mleigh wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm Finished the first two chapters. Am really enjoying listening to you. You are a great reader. If it weren't for those pesky LibriVox settings both would be PL OK. But as it is:

Section 1:
Section 2:

Thanks,

M
Thank you so much! I adjusted the volume on three. Please let me know if I am on the right track and if it sounds better. Once I hear back then I will jump in and alter all the rest :) Thanks for the help!
Volume on Chapter 3 is perfect. :)

Just a couple of other changes and it should be PL OK.

please add a small amount of silence to the start so that there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence
about 14:01 "friend" and "sister" are reversed should be "I’m going with a sophomore whose sister is a friend of Nan’s."
(Since Betty is speaking here, the change is necessary)

Great job, as always, with the reading. I am enjoying it so far. Can't wait to hear what happens next in Betty's life.

M
thechapterbrook

mleigh wrote: February 11th, 2024, 8:36 pm The introduction was nicely read. The only things that need fixing are a couple of changes to meet LibriVox requirements.

Thanks,

M
The introduction has been updated Thank you!