FULL[PLAY]The Town Before You by Cowley - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

hello, may I please be Lady Charlotte
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I still here the stumble at "rich damask" but it's ok, I guess Todd could cut it out in the editing phase as well. So I'll mark the three acts PL ok, thank you. Excellent edits.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AgnesRobert wrote: November 27th, 2023, 8:38 pm hello, may I please be Lady Charlotte
Thank you.

Todd
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

May I please read the Stage Directions?

Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I had huge fun with poor ill-used Mrs Fancourt, and how she defies her waste-of-breathing-space husband (you know who you are ! - you will have fun verbally abusing me again :roll: - your initial statement of "long-suffering husband" is not quite up to reality)

But a happy ending for her which is truly enjoyable. The scene with the Savoyard was a cool experience as well 8-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_mrsfancourt_1.mp3
Recording time: 7:15 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_mrsfancourt_3.mp3
Recording time: 2:12 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_mrsfancourt_4.mp3
Recording time: 3:39 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_mrsfancourt_5.mp3
Recording time: 2:01 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TrLove wrote: November 29th, 2023, 12:30 pmMay I please read the Stage Directions?
hi Tina, super to be working with you again on the stage directions 8-) I'll sign you up, since Todd is AWOL for the moment.

thank you

Sonia
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

Here are Act 1 Stage Directions, length 11:48.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/townbeforeyou_stagedirections_1.mp3

Tina
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TrLove wrote: November 30th, 2023, 1:15 pmHere are Act 1 Stage Directions, length 11:48.
super, thank you for the fast turnaround 8-) nicely narrated, especially the dedication and introduction, where you read with panache, loved it.

A few PL notes, mainly some conventionalities proper to drama narrations, that were not observed. I would recommend starting with the last PL note, so the time stamps stay the same for you.

> at about 6:51: could you please also include the dramatis personae here: read them all off the list in the order they appear, example: "Persons of the drama. Tippy, read by / Fancourt, read by", and so on. Also check the MW for any characters that are not in the list, example: "Maid, read by, Servant read by", etc. After the list, also read: "Prologue" (only the title, not the whole prologue, I have recorded that one already), before starting with Act 1.

> at 7:05: (p. 1) "Fancourt" - this can be cut here. We only include the names of the characters if some stage directions go with the beginning of the speech

> at 7:36: (p. 4) "Servant" - can also be cut here

> at about 8:01: (p. 5) missed line: "going out"

> at 8:16: (p. 6) "Humphrey" - can be cut

> at 9:01: (p. 8) "Servant, archly" - here the name needs to be included as the stage directions refer to the whole sentence (though they are placed behind it, an annoying habit of old plays)

> at 9:02: (p. 8) "Sir Robert, aside" - leave more space here for the editor, since "Servant archly" needs to get his speech in between

> at 10:01: (p. 11) "Georgina" - can be cut here

> at 10:27: (p. 13) "Servant" - can be cut

> at 10:33: (p. 14) "Fancourt" - can be cut

> at 10:38: (p. 14) "Fancourt" - can be cut

> at 10:48: (p. 15) "Conway" - can be cut

> at 11:20: (p. 18) "Asgill, throws himself into a chair" - here we should include the name, since there are stage directions, after Perkins is mentioned to exit, to make it less confusing

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: :lol: you had me split in two with laughter here with your accent. Wow that was a feat, excellently done. Really enjoyed it, he could have had an even bigger role.

Acts 1, 2, 3 and 5 PL ok.

One small edit for Act 4:

> at 2:03: (p. 67) "be sure you come" - you say "before"

thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: November 30th, 2023, 8:18 am I had huge fun with poor ill-used Mrs Fancourt, and how she defies her waste-of-breathing-space husband (you know who you are ! - you will have fun verbally abusing me again :roll: - your initial statement of "long-suffering husband" is not quite up to reality)

But a happy ending for her which is truly enjoyable. The scene with the Savoyard was a cool experience as well 8-)

Sonia
I so look forward to getting home and recording my proper rebuttal to the malicious and very misguided slurs against my wonderful correctness that I assume are contained within your files!

And then giving you the simple PL note for all your files to treat me better in your next try….

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 7:52 amAnd then giving you the simple PL note for all your files to treat me better in your next try….
While you write up your PL notes...I hope you remember that you need to pass my PL scrutiny as well at a later stage. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Kitty wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 7:39 am One small edit for Act 4:

> at 2:03: (p. 67) "be sure you come" - you say "before"

thanks

Sonia
New version uploaded
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:12 pmNew version uploaded
and now definitely PL ok, thank you :)

Sonia
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

Kitty wrote: December 1st, 2023, 1:14 pm
TrLove wrote: November 30th, 2023, 1:15 pmHere are Act 1 Stage Directions, length 11:48.
super, thank you for the fast turnaround 8-) nicely narrated, especially the dedication and introduction, where you read with panache, loved it.

A few PL notes, mainly some conventionalities proper to drama narrations, that were not observed. I would recommend starting with the last PL note, so the time stamps stay the same for you.

> at about 6:51: could you please also include the dramatis personae here: read them all off the list in the order they appear, example: "Persons of the drama. Tippy, read by / Fancourt, read by", and so on. Also check the MW for any characters that are not in the list, example: "Maid, read by, Servant read by", etc. After the list, also read: "Prologue" (only the title, not the whole prologue, I have recorded that one already), before starting with Act 1.

> at 7:05: (p. 1) "Fancourt" - this can be cut here. We only include the names of the characters if some stage directions go with the beginning of the speech

> at 7:36: (p. 4) "Servant" - can also be cut here

> at about 8:01: (p. 5) missed line: "going out"

> at 8:16: (p. 6) "Humphrey" - can be cut

> at 9:01: (p. 8) "Servant, archly" - here the name needs to be included as the stage directions refer to the whole sentence (though they are placed behind it, an annoying habit of old plays)

> at 9:02: (p. 8) "Sir Robert, aside" - leave more space here for the editor, since "Servant archly" needs to get his speech in between

> at 10:01: (p. 11) "Georgina" - can be cut here

> at 10:27: (p. 13) "Servant" - can be cut

> at 10:33: (p. 14) "Fancourt" - can be cut

> at 10:38: (p. 14) "Fancourt" - can be cut

> at 10:48: (p. 15) "Conway" - can be cut

> at 11:20: (p. 18) "Asgill, throws himself into a chair" - here we should include the name, since there are stage directions, after Perkins is mentioned to exit, to make it less confusing
thanks
Sonia
Here is the corrected version, now 13:31 -

Sorry to cause you so much review. :oops: I must be out of practice. Please do review the change originally at 9:01-9:02 now at 10:44 & 10:50 that it aligns with the script in the manner you intended.

T