The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mherbers1800 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 11:48 am I'm trying to delete a 3-min. segment. I tried cut, delete, scissors, etc. and still just have an empty pink chunk with no audio markings. Any clues how to get rid of that empty chunk?
Since you have tried the obvious tools, if you would upload it and put the link here, we will give you some other ideas. Here is a video on how I replace words but you have probably done all this already https://youtu.be/dgNCkTRLaS8

The 'big empty pink chunk' is interesting, not sure what that is. Did you perhaps change tools?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

I'm trying to delete a section of audio in the middle of a file.
When I highlighted the area and clicked "Cut," the blue audio squiggles disappeared and a blank pink space remained.
Highlighting the pink space, I tried Cut, Delete, scissors icon, control X -- and nothing takes it out.

How can I get rid of the pink space?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

mherbers1800 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 12:24 pm I'm trying to delete a section of audio in the middle of a file.
When I highlighted the area and clicked "Cut," the blue audio squiggles disappeared and a blank pink space remained.
Highlighting the pink space, I tried Cut, Delete, scissors icon, control X -- and nothing takes it out.

How can I get rid of the pink space?
If I understood correctly: your track consists of clips. So deleting a part of the file will leave some space between two nearby clips. You need either way to join them (preferred to be used to all the clips as you may have them onwards) before deleting or to move the second of the two backwards to the first one (this is why the first method is better, as clips after the second one (if there are any), won't follow by, which will cause the same space between the next pair).
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

So how would I join them?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

mherbers1800 wrote: February 1st, 2022, 1:12 pm So how would I join them?
Here Join Tool. I think it'll work if to Ctrl+A (highlighting all the track) and make the same as described there but I've never tried. I just click on each grey vertical bar between clips until it disappears like some noob (ha-ha). Clips appear with each stop-record combination, which means after each stop of a recording process, the new recording process goes with the new clip.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

mherbers, would you also check that, when you go at menu Edit -> Preferences, Tracks, the option "Editing a clip can move other clips" is selected?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You might have a preference set wrong, which doesn't allow the clips to join together when you delete one. Try going into Prefs/Tracks/Track Behaviour. I think the one you want is highlighted here:

EDIT: I would have posted before Rapunzelina, but I added a cool image. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

YES! thank you, thank you, thank you. That solves the problem.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

According to the Audacity help file (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/playback.html) the shortcut 1 should play one second of audio centred on the mouse position. But that doesn't work for me - I get a beep sound, indicating the program does not know what 1 means. Oddly, Play To Selection (B) and Play Cut Review (C) work just fine.

I thought I might be able to reset 1 as a shortcut in preferences, but it appears that Play One Second is not a selectable menu item.

Any ideas? I'm using Audacity 3.1.3 on a Mac.
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

Am following the video about replacing words in Audacity.
However, when I press Shift Record, it PLAYS the section I want to replace, instead of recording new reading.

What am I doing wrong?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

How are you pressing Shift-Record? (Holding down Shift key and Clicking the Record button, or Shift-R keys?)
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

I positioned the line where recording should be placed, then pressed shift and held it down and clicked Record.
It started playing where the line was positioned.
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

It did create a new track, but it played instead of recording.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Could it have been both recording AND playing? Did any wave forms come up while you spoke, or were you so surprised that you didn't say anything? :)

Go to Preferences (Ctrl-P), Recording, and make sure the first option is not checked: "Play other tracks while recording (overdub)".
mherbers1800

Post by mherbers1800 »

Yes, it was recording and playing.
I unclicked "Play other tracks while recording" but it's still incorporating the original in addition to the new. :(