ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

And a nifty meeting it was! Thanks to those who could join and chat about LibriVox and other stuff. Remember, anyone can start a meeting and have fun talking with other good people. :clap:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: October 18th, 2023, 10:33 am And a nifty meeting it was! Thanks to those who could join and chat about LibriVox and other stuff. Remember, anyone can start a meeting and have fun talking with other good people. :clap:
Thank you! :)
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thanks Phil, for setting this up. It was a great broad-ranging discussion of (mostly) all things Librivox, and I learned several new things today! And had a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Winnifred
msfry

Post by msfry »

If I believed in signs, I'd interpret my difficulty joining today's meeting, followed by my inability to launch my video or see anybody else's faces, plus previous difficulties with Zoom, plus Phil's reasonably good attendance of 9 participants today, plus the recent communications or lack thereof on this forum, as signs to quit hosting 1st Mondays for awhile. I will stay subscribed to this forum, and happily attend other people's meetings if I'm available, and take my turn once in awhile.

It's good to host a meeting if people have things to present, hard if there are no presenters or topics of mutual interest brought up. Today's discussion of how MC's are chosen, was especially interesting; also approaches to handling Intro and Outro silences, and whether these should be hard fast rules or continue lax, and why we have these rules in the first place. I hope it was recorded. I could upload it to the Librivox Zoom Chat Sessions page if desired.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

msfry wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:06 am If I believed in signs, I'd interpret my difficulty joining today's meeting, followed by my inability to launch my video or see anybody else's faces, plus previous difficulties with Zoom, plus Phil's reasonably good attendance of 9 participants today, plus the recent communications or lack thereof on this forum, as signs to quit hosting 1st Mondays for awhile. I will stay subscribed to this forum, and happily attend other people's meetings if I'm available, and take my turn once in awhile.

It's good to host a meeting if people have things to present, hard if there are no presenters or topics of mutual interest brought up. Today's discussion of how MC's are chosen, was especially interesting; also approaches to handling Intro and Outro silences, and whether these should be hard fast rules or continue lax, and why we have these rules in the first place. I hope it was recorded. I could upload it to the Librivox Zoom Chat Sessions page if desired.
Michele, I really appreciate all you've done over the last year or so to welcome us and encourage us to join. Just so ya know!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I second Stephanie's comments, Michelle! I've enjoyed all the sessions I've attended, and there will always be times when people just can't make it for reasons outside anyone's control. That's no reflection on you (and certainly not a sign of anything). And we all have tech issues from time to time. Though perhaps some of us should take this discussion as a sign that we shouldn't just leave all the organization up to Phil and Michelle? Maybe a rotating roster could work. Someone different each month? I'm certainly willing to host one or two (I have some experience hosting and chairing Zoom meetings from my working days: see my 2021 blog post on the subject).

I think the quality of the discussion is far more important than the number of participants. It's actually easier to have a back and forth discussion when there are 5 or 6 attendees or fewer. Throwing the floor open to random questions rather than setting an agenda can also lead to useful discussions (that's how both the moderator and silences discussions arose today). I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it fascinating to hear about other Librivoxers' processes, reasons for doing it, ways of selecting content, etc.

Anyway, just my two cents' worth.

Cheers,
Winnifred
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Winnifred wrote: October 18th, 2023, 3:16 pm

I think the quality of the discussion is far more important than the number of participants. It's actually easier to have a back and forth discussion when there are 5 or 6 attendees or fewer. Throwing the floor open to random questions rather than setting an agenda can also lead to useful discussions (that's how both the moderator and silences discussions arose today).

Cheers,
I always enjoy the general discussions among the participants. Stephanie’s comments about Gertrude Bell were very interesting to me, since I had just finished reading “With Lawrence in Arabia” and there was considerable mention of her in the book.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Stephanie and uh, er, Ms. Fluffster (love the blog post). As far as I'm concerned, Winnifred -- you're on for the next zoom session. Now when shall that be? 11 a.m. thru 7 p.m. CST are my available times, but any day of the week will mostly work, as I am retired. I do have a professional account that can go over an hour, IF I can ever get it working again.

I personally like a mixture of: presentations, shop talk, brags, and personal shares (not about LV). I just discovered an LV trick that will take maybe 5-10 minutes to demo, and make every BC's job so much easier.
Last edited by msfry on October 19th, 2023, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
loon

Post by loon »

A possible item: how to get the LibriVox "monthly" podcast going and is it the immense amount of work required.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

loon wrote: October 18th, 2023, 5:13 pm A possible item: how to get the LibriVox "monthly" podcast going and is it the immense amount of work required.
While some of the info is out of date, the first 4 posts here will answer some of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182

A podcast is some work, yes. It depends on how many contributions you solicit, whether people contribute, and all that. And the monthly aspect means that when one is done, the next better be in the pipeline. It can get as wearing as hosting a monthly Zoom meeting. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

philchenevert wrote: October 18th, 2023, 10:33 am And a nifty meeting it was! Thanks to those who could join and chat about LibriVox and other stuff. Remember, anyone can start a meeting and have fun talking with other good people. :clap:
Sorry I couldn't join in. We were crossing the desert across Utah, Arizona, and Nevada today. Fascinating stop at Indian Pipes National Monument.

I want to hear about the tip that saves BCs time!

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
smike

Post by smike »

Sorry, life has been very busy, and I missed a lot. Do I understand that the monthly zoom meeting is a thing of the past?
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

smike wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 8:52 am Sorry, life has been very busy, and I missed a lot. Do I understand that the monthly zoom meeting is a thing of the past?
Not at all. I'm just taking a breather, waiting for comments, seeing if there is still sufficient interest. My list of presenters and things to share continues to grow. Items needing attention are:

2nd Mondays instead of 1st Mondays? Or Tuesdays? Or Saturdays?
11 a.m. or a more convenient time?
Winnifred has offered to host the next session, I think????? Waiting for an answer from her on that. The 1st Monday would be the 6th, which works fine for me.

BTW, Phil did not record the last session so whatever gems were shared, were missed by the rest of us.
Last edited by msfry on November 2nd, 2023, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
smike

Post by smike »

Thanks Michele.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

No, I did not record that impromptu session. All that wisdom is now scattered on the winds of the internet, lost forever. :roll:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk