COMPLETE[PLAY]Don Quixote in England by Fielding - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rssmith121999 wrote:Cook Act 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_cook_3.mp3
im debating if this needs another couple takes, let me know if indeed it does.
thanks for letting me participate! i fear ki may have been a little excited during my session. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_manager_intr.mp3
theatre manager, intro, I sort of stumbled a little but i think it plays well as the manager might have been a little flustered?! :lol:
:lol: excitement is good and silliness in this play is a must :mrgreen: great to see you act out right from the start (you do know that the drama forum is addicting, right ? :lol: )

both characters were excellently performed and very funny. The manager sounds a bit threatening at some points, and I think this is wholly warranted by what he says :thumbs: I predict we'll hear you in plenty other plays soon. 8-)

However, a few small adjustements before this can be marked ok:

for the Manager:

> the overall volume is too loud, over 92 dB. Maybe decrease by -2 to get into a better average. The problem with the volume can be that if it's recorded too loud, clipping can occur which distorts the audio.

> for the voice credit, please always read the name as written in the Magic Window, here: "Manager, read by"

> at 0:42: (p. 1) stumble and repeat, can be cropped: ""bring three or four to the house"

for the cook:

> same here, volume is over 92 dB. Maybe decrease by -2 again

>in the voice credits: you don't have to say "act 3" , this is done by the narrator of the play, just the description as marked in the MW

If you reupload with the exact same filename, the old files get replaced by the new ones :)

Thanks ! And great that you had your LV acting debut in this farce. You certainly have the comedic talent for it.

Sonia
rssmith121999

Post by rssmith121999 »

Awesome! I don’t think I worked with Todd, I’ve only ever worked with one Todd, and despite my wanting to think the best of people, I don’t think this would be his kind of thing.

As far as the reading, I woke up with a terrible cough and congestion it’ll be a couple of days before I’ll feel comfortable reading again, also I’m not sure I can bring the sound volume down without re-recording. In my opinion it was on the edge of being blaring in some parts, and as short as the parts are just easier to completely mulligan.
8-)
Scott- large burly heavy equipment mechanic/truck driver, retired. New hobby as a Librivox junkie.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You should not re-record unless absolutely necessary. (Which requires a new complete PL effort.) Audacity, and other programs, will allow you to easily amplify or deamplify an existing file.

Big issue with a recording being too loud might be that you have “clipped” in places - cutting off the top of the waveforms. When really bad, sound becomes fuzzy. Audacity has a setting where such parts of a recording show in red. Deamplifying does not help in these cases - the signal is damaged permanently by clipping and does not restore itself. This is when re-recording a word or phrase is only solution.

It could be that if you deamplify too much, you submerge the signal into the noise background (depends on your mike, your neighbors, nearby construction). So learning how to do Noise Reduction is useful.

There are some great Librivox videos showing how to do this stuff.

And note - amplify/deamplify and noise reduction are really the ONLY features of Audacity (or other program) that we need to use around here - we don’t need the other 95% of what could be done.

Thanks, Todd
rssmith121999

Post by rssmith121999 »

rssmith121999 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 10:57 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_manager_intr.mp3

theatre manager, intro, I sort of stumbled a little but i think it plays well as the manager might have been a little flustered?! :lol:

well now you know if i can follow instructions.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_manager_intro.mp3
I reposted the link, it, as Kitty said, should have replaced the last file, suggested changes were made. I am pleased with this product, as I hope you will be.
Todd I'm running some compression and other doodads on my mic channel as I have a very full voice and my vocals carry. my neighbors have some stories, imagine needing to be heard on the other side of a buys, noisy construction site. My biggest issue listening back was probably over excitement, like a toddler(that was an unfortunate choice of words, but I'm running with it anyway) with his new toys. I will be continuously tweaking my settings and work area to find the absolute best configuration.
I agree with you as far as what "we" actually need for the purpose of recorded reading, definitely way more tools then the vast majority of people would even find useful.
Reading back, I hope I'm not coming off as dismissive or arrogant, although I stand by my words, I hope you read the earnest desire to provide a pleasing experience to the reader is very important to me, but also growing artistically and becoming more technically proficient. I also understand from a troubleshooting perspective, the easy stuff is where a fixer starts (i.e. did you put gas in the car? SMH teenage children... :wink: ) Above all of that is a very important truth for me. Since being diagnosed with my particular disorder, I have lost purpose. I fought so hard to stay working and had all that stripped away, in a few weeks I have begun to remodel my identity and see purpose for me again, this is the great triumph here, for me anyway.
Scott- large burly heavy equipment mechanic/truck driver, retired. New hobby as a Librivox junkie.
rssmith121999

Post by rssmith121999 »

Cook Act 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_cook_3_(2).mp3

im not certain why the file name has the (2) that was auto generated, if i need to change this please direct me.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rssmith121999 wrote: April 13th, 2022, 11:18 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_manager_intro.mp3
I reposted the link, it, as Kitty said, should have replaced the last file, suggested changes were made.

Cook Act 3 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donquixoteinengland_cook_3_(2).mp3
im not certain why the file name has the (2) that was auto generated, if i need to change this please direct me.
:lol: actually you managed to change the filenames on both roles, instead of keeping the exact one like before. ;) I am guessing the (2) got inserted by your computer so that your first file would not be overwritten. I always overwrite my earlier attempts when I have to do edits.

No matter now, I updated the Magic Window with the new filenames, and in stage plays we are more lenient with filenaming. But in other projects, you need to take care the filename is exactly like mentioned in the example in the first post. Any "_new_" or "_2_" added to a name will result in a new file and if the BC is not careful it can be overlooked and then the still unedited file will remain in the MW. That's why it's so important.

Anyway, good edits and now both PL ok. Your first LV roles are in the box. :clap: Many more to come hopefully.

Thank you

Sonia
rssmith121999

Post by rssmith121999 »

Thank you! Apart from being an occasional idiot I do try to get it right. Duly noted to be extra careful when uploading revisions.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

May I read Scut the huntsman in Act II though I've already read the Author in Act I? (I will remember to chant not sing--and am grateful for Sonia's good example of how chanting ought to be done)
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

How about I take Fairlove?

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoannaHoyt wrote: April 30th, 2022, 1:21 pmMay I read Scut the huntsman in Act II though I've already read the Author in Act I? (I will remember to chant not sing--and am grateful for Sonia's good example of how chanting ought to be done)
oh I am a "good example" 8-)

sorry, this claim may have gotten overlooked while Todd was AWOL for a while. Since both roles are in different acts, I think we can go with double claims in this project. Thanks, Joanna.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:57 pmHow about I take Fairlove?
thanks, Larry, you will be our heartthrob in this play. Give it your best shot. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all. Sorry I missed things, but yet again the wonderful Kitty has saved us.

Thanks, Todd
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Hello, I would like to read the voter in act 1, the coachman in act 2 and the drawer in act three.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd