COMPLETE : The Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy - AF/tc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Graham, I continue to stand by my whoever is here and wants to read gets to read, and your efforts and dedication have been awesome. As long as you're enjoying yourself, please do keep going. :)

I've signed you up for 4, 6-8.

ps. It can't be a solo project; we have 16 completed chapters not done by you, so, by the math, a third of the book is going to be other people :P
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

May I do 6 - 01, please? My only two other Hardy reads were not very successful (didn't like them much), but this looks interesting, and I should really try another one.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Hey Gesine! You've been signed up for 6, 1. I hope you enjoy your time on the heath. :)

Back when we were studying ROTN, I gifted my friend with several other Hardy books. But, oddly, the only other Hardy novel I've tried since was Tess, which was so disappointing I stopped there.

My friend has advised me that ROTN is his best, that I would probably like Far from the Maddening Crowd, and that Jude the Obscure is good, but unrelentently depressing with no way out for anyone. :P

But, with his poetry and this, I still think Hardy is brilliant, and I've had a wonderful time reliving ROTN. It's even better than I remembered. Which prolly means it really is hopeless that his other books could measure up for me *laugh*
Marlo Dianne

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh, I'm so glad to hear you say that - usually people stare at me aghast when I say I don't like Hardy... I had to read all of Tess but found it really hard work. The constant doom and gloom... actually I don't mind constant doom and gloom in other novels. Don't know what it is about that one.

Anyway, glad to have found this one, then! :) Should get this done soon.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

I really don't know why I like Hardy so much. I agree with all you say about the doom and gloom, and I would add much more about the generally thin characterization, the unfeasible plots and the stiff dialogue. But I do love the style of the prose and the atmosphere of the places and scenes. As I've discovered here through Librivox, it's particularly satisfying to read aloud. Try The Mayor of Casterbridge - see if you like that.

And here's a secret hitherto known to very few - I named my first daughter after Grace Melbury in The Woodlanders.

On we go:
Book 4, chapter 6: A Conjuncture, And Its Result Upon The Pedestrian
Graham
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thanks for the tips about other Hardy novels I might like!

Here is Book 6, chapter 01.

Please note that I left the genre as Blues. The genre tag can now be fixed with one click by the MC when all the files have been uploaded to the Validator, so that's ok. :)

Catalogue: Gesine, no URL.

00:23:11 / 21.23MB
http://librivox.gesine.org/gesine/hardy/returnofthenative_6-01_hardy.mp3
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Graham
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Looks as though Book 6 chs. 2 and 3 will see it done.

Shall I?
Graham
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

They're yours, Graham! :)
Marlo Dianne

Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Graham
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Yea, Graham! Downloading presently. :)
Marlo Dianne

marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

We have our first orphan. Book 2, 8 has been returned to the pool with regrets.

Let's hope it doesn't stay lonely long :)
Marlo Dianne

Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Marlo - I'll claim the orphan, if you like, but I won't be able to do it for a day or two. I've been ill with some strange allergy or viral illness the last couple of days, and my voice isn't recovered yet.

I ate a lot of strange "international" snacks on Saturday. So much for cultural diversity...
Graham
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

Hi MD - I've done Book 2, chapter 8, and here it is - but please let me know what you think. My voice is still not back to normal and I fear this chapter may be on the hoarse and husky side. Please tell me if so and I'll do it again or give it up for someone else to do.

Book 2, chapter 8: Firmness Is Discovered In A Gentle Heart[url]
Graham
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

Hey Graham!

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I've had my own, um, poor carbon, thou art so weak issues...

Anyway, I made some minor edits to your chapter. Mainly, I clipped out a couple of throat clears that didn't seems to much as artistic as genuinely painful. *wince* I really hope you're feeling better! You can get sick from anything you're not used to, and unusual (for you) food means unsual (for you) bacteria. It's the price of being adventurous ;)

But be assured, your reading is as strong as ever, even if you're not :P
Marlo Dianne