ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:42 pm
loon wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:34 pm
msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:05 pm Appropriate feedback to newbies vs. seasoned LV'ers.
This one please!
Not sure what this means.
It's a koan.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

KevinS wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:32 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:15 pm I think it might be a good idea to have no more than two “techy” features per session…setting up PM folders, for example… and keeping them short and simple. It is good to learn all the LibriVox techniques, but too much tech stuff in one session may be overwhelming. The main reason people sign up for LibriVox is to record. Too much minutiae can be overwhelming, especially to newbies.
Agreed, though I do like the techie stuff, too.
I mean not too much techie stuff. I’m married to a guy who loves explaining tech stuff in long, great details. It runs in the family. We once got an email from a sister in law who wrote, “He’s just spent 20 minutes telling me how to clean a vacuum cleaner filter….help me, help me!” 🙂
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:46 pm

This one please!
It's a koan.
I’m sorry, a what? Koan?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:36 pm
msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:46 pm

It's a koan.
I’m sorry, a what? Koan?
Ha Ha, you could look it up, but I did to be sure I used it correctly:
A puzzling, often paradoxical statement, anecdote, question, or verbal exchange, used in Zen Buddhism as an aid to meditation and a means of gaining spiritual awakening; to provoke the "great doubt" and to practice or test a student's progress in Zen.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 10:26 pm
sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:36 pm
msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:46 pm It's a koan.
I’m sorry, a what? Koan?
Ha Ha, you could look it up, but I did to be sure I used it correctly:
A puzzling, often paradoxical statement, anecdote, question, or verbal exchange, used in Zen Buddhism as an aid to meditation and a means of gaining spiritual awakening; to provoke the "great doubt" and to practice or test a student's progress in Zen.
Well, I just learned something new. :)

My website
My Librivox reader page
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:05 pm Appropriate feedback to newbies vs. seasoned LV'ers.
This one please!
I didn't intend it to be a mystery - I just think that would be a great topic to talk about.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 7:30 pm
sjmarky wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:56 pm Tell me what you think of this idea.

A couple of years ago I did a Zoom session on what I called Tips from the Pro’s. I’d been to several audiobook narration workshops by top pros and wanted to impart their wisdom to LV volunteers. Well, it sucked. I admit that. The number of views of the YouTube are abysmal.

But I realize now that noobs aren’t going to watch an hour video for tips. But they might if it’s in small chunks.

So my thought is, as part of the monthly Zoom, I do a 5 or 10 minute bit on one topic that can be made available to anyone who finds it helpful. They could be saved as small videos.

What do you think?
I like it. It could be in the zoom session's hour, if we have time or follow after the noon bell rings. Something like "stay tuned for a "Tip from Pros", which could be included in the zoom video, or not, your choice. We could give it a whirl on Monday, or start next month.
Looking over my old notes, I think it would be 6 or 7 topics, which I would keep to 5 minutes each. I would start in April so I can re-work my slides. It would work best for me to have a fixed start time each month, whether during the meeting or tagged-on at the end.

My website
My Librivox reader page
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

I can't make it tomorrow but I love "tips from the Pros"-sorry to miss Pam
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:26 pm Topic: Tour of the Control Panel, Setting up a Signature, setting up PM folders, creating text links, the De-Esser Effect (if Doreen comes), BRAGS.
If Doreen is unable to make it, I would be happy to demo the De-esser/De-clicker plugins. I have a couple example audio clips ready to go!
msfry

Post by msfry »

quartertone wrote: March 6th, 2023, 9:47 am
msfry wrote: March 4th, 2023, 6:26 pm Topic: Tour of the Control Panel, Setting up a Signature, setting up PM folders, creating text links, the De-Esser Effect (if Doreen comes), BRAGS.
If Doreen is unable to make it, I would be happy to demo the De-esser/De-clicker plugins. I have a couple example audio clips ready to go!
Thanks, I'm open for business!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Meeting ended, and even going overtime, we never got to our BRAGS! ARRRGGG. Oh well, next time maybe we'll do those first. :?
Sorry to all who missed it. It was lively! And "reactionary"! :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

I just had an idea for another type of Zoom chat and I want to run it by you all. This applies to a group project with multiple readers and a DPL or two who are familiar with the material. Most book clubs pick a title, you have a month to read it (in this case listen to it), then you meet to discuss it. What if a month after one of our books catalogues, each participant is invited to a Zoom Chat to discuss the book. What do you think?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:42 am I just had an idea for another type of Zoom chat and I want to run it by you all. This applies to a group project with multiple readers and a DPL or two who are familiar with the material. Most book clubs pick a title, you have a month to read it (in this case listen to it), then you meet to discuss it. What if a month after one of our books catalogues, each participant is invited to a Zoom Chat to discuss the book. What do you think?
I’m not a book club fan myself. Personally, I think books should be enjoyed, not over discussed. As Zorba the Greek said, “Clever people and grocers, they weigh everything.”
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:14 pm I’m not a book club fan myself. Personally, I think books should be enjoyed, not over discussed. As Zorba the Greek said, “Clever people and grocers, they weigh everything.”
As Ainnle, the young Irish soldier says so often in Deirdra (a solo I am currently recording) . . . "Pooh!" :mrgreen:
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

MaryinArkansas wrote: March 6th, 2023, 1:14 pm I’m not a book club fan myself. Personally, I think books should be enjoyed, not over discussed. As Zorba the Greek said, “Clever people and grocers, they weigh everything.”
I'm in slight agreement with Mary; at least in regards to audiobooks.

With a regular book club, you would be discussing the story/text/words_on_paper. That is, your thoughts and opinions on the story. But with audiobooks there is the added element of the interpretation and performance by the readers. A discussion or review of an audiobook would always involve the performance and not just the story itself. That is, your thoughts and opinions of the interpretation of the story. Doing this for a group project might end up being unfair to those who are given less praise for their performance as compared with "better" voice actors on the group project (sort of like that PL feedback conundrum discussed in the Zoom).

If an audiobook club were to proceed, I might suggest choosing a solo work, or a single short work in the collection (eg short stories), and that the work be volunteered for selection by the reader themselves. This way they would be willingly inviting discussion of their performance as well as the story.

My two thoughts.