[COMPLETE] How to Appreciate Music by Gustav Kobbé - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Sure! As I can see you have already done your test recording. Welcome to Librivox and have fun!
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
johntkucz

Post by johntkucz »

Jeepers!! By far the most critical pl have experienced! but I guess also the most detailed (and if I can overlook what appears to be criticism I can prob extract some useful insights), too.

First off, thanks for doing such a...erm "complete" !

It was pretty obvious from the tone of the pl that this listener was very irritated with how I chose to read this specific material (likely because of the listener's own interest in classical music as mentioned? who knows).
xero wrote: His reading speed is amazingly inconsistent. He'll read at a moderate pace for 10 words, then take off like lightning for 4 words, then slow to a crawl for 2 words and then shoot away like a rabbit. When reading at a slow or medium pace he sounds great, but when he reads at breakneck speed he skips words, runs words together and speaks words unintelligibly. I followed along with him using the link to the Gutenburg book provided on the project thread page.
That's VERY unique and helpful feedback. This may sound odd, but I actually wasn't very aware of gross inconsistencies in reading speed, so that's useful to know and will do my best to minimize such fluctuations of pace.

Okay I realized with stuff like
this reader is probably the most inaccurate I've ever heard
much of this PL was deliberately insulting, which is well, forunately, inconsistent with what I've experienced with librivox (most of the pls have been detailed but not insulting). Some of this reaction may be bruised ego, but am attempting to curb ego to extract useful feedback. If some things I say are "inaccurate" (and I'm dubious of the accuracy of that word choice), then those are things that would be actually useful for me to know, like pronunciation of odd, unfamiliar musical words.

Maybe my recording on this specific material was sloppy (although I think I recall it being okay), and/or the pl-er is unpleasantly critical. (Okay, I relistened to this and trying to be as objective as possible (which is impossible), I completely disagree with much of what this pler has said. I know when I've done a poor recording and admittedly have done some. This did not seem one of those. So now am uncertain if I should just redo this or or make the copious changes. Hhhh it was an interesting reading so redoing it wouldn't be too problematic.

In any case, I've attempted to siphon the sparse fragments of useful and applicable feedback (like having more consistent speaking pace, pre-prounouncing words, consistent and smoother sound-editing, and not skipping words) and apply those; those 4 things are useful.

I relistened to many of the "unintelligible" parts of the recording and found some of them completely audible. Does this pl-er have a hearing problem/aid? It's possible I just like a faster reading voice and could adjust that, too.

Am undecided if I will redo this or make all the edits.
Basically, I quite like this recording. There's some recordings I've done and I'm like "fine sure, redo no prob" but I sort of like this one. I don't have a problem with redoing it or keeping this and making the changes, uncertain on which is best.

Aside from the parts that seem like wallopping criticism, thanks for the highly detailed feedback and will be wary of sentence conjunction during editing, skipping small words, consistent pace, and preprunciation.

Was not aware of pace increase in some readings. I think material that I find very interesting and exciting, I read more quickly. Will watch that.

These pl edits were an enormous jolt, but I there's some valuable feedback in them.

Definitely helpful finding: I was totally mispronouncing chopin (as Show-puh when it's something like Show-pan) thinking that it was correct! :!:

I can learn from Section 13's slow (and english! :!: ) speaking pace. I like my fast reading cadence, but realize it has a place.

Also, the piano notes in Section 16 are awesome!

Funny realization: at times I read quickly out of interest, to avoid sounding unintelligent, or just process the reading that way, but often the result is unintelligle. haha.....hhmm. bollocks.

bottom-line much of this pl-ers feedback felt very unpleasant to hear and quite rampant, but that aside there's definitely a lot of useful details that will improve readings/recordings..

Also, the fact that the pl-er new how to pronounce (and his criticism of mispronounciations) the Very often mispronounced composer names (especially those like Liszt and Chopin) insinuates a fairly extensive knowledge of music, which leads to the more fundamental question of why wasn't this person doing an actual reading?! :idea: I know that I know a fair bit (it's mainly biographical knowledge of composers, however) of musical knowledge but this pl-er definitely knows more.

I still am stoked to be part of this project.

I will tinker with redoing section and/or making edits.
  • "everything" site for past 8 years==
  • my tech site (using a pseudynm for reasons I have yet to undersand)-- (I obviously have "name" issues lol!, but love tech)
  • twitter me timbers--
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thank you John, I'm sorry if you felt insulted, but just take it in stride and try not to aggravate the situation. Thank you for consenting to pay attention to those thing and edit/re-record the section.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
smijen

Post by smijen »

Section 0 is PL OK!

I can't commit to taking on DPL, but I'll try to help out with what I can.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 7 is PL OK.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 8 PL notes:
there is a long silence at 12:53 (about 7-8 seconds)
smijen

Post by smijen »

woops - i just PL'd all of chapter 9, since the MW still said PL needed. I don't know if this was the original or the edited, but using standard PL, I'd mark this one OK. Nothing at all to detract from the listener's enjoyment.
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thank you for all the PLing!
Patrick

Latimer

Post by Latimer »

Thanks for the PL-ing Sarah.
I've reduced the long silence to about 3 seconds, which seems OK to me and also trimmed another couple of the longer silences while I was at it. This is the first book I've worked on at LV but I feel I'm getting quite a dab hand at Audacity! :D
Here's the file again:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/howtoappreciatemusic_08_kobbe.mp3

Duration: 17:39

Cheers,

Dick Summerfield.
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thanks for the quick edit!
Patrick

smijen

Post by smijen »

The edited chapter 8 is PL OK!
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 11 PL notes:
needs amplification
repeat at 14:48: Rubinstein deserves honorable mention
smijen

Post by smijen »

prwells32 wrote:I was sent these PL notes for sections 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16. I slimmed them down a little bit so that they could be posted in one topic.

Section 13
00:25- doesn't read the heading of the section "A Note on Chamber Music"
I spot-checked the new intro for 13 and it is fine. :thumbs:
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Thanks for all the PLing!
Patrick

smijen

Post by smijen »

prwells32 wrote:I was sent these PL notes for sections 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16. I slimmed them down a little bit so that they could be posted in one topic.

Section 15
05:06- background noise after "reverentially"
13:39- "This is especially true of the prophet himself" gets repeated
Spot-checked 15 as well. OK to catalog!

If it's OK with you, I may as well sign on as DPL. There are only 3 sections left!