How do you PL?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

A warning about ancient threads - any links given may be out of date :D .

Anne
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Yes, and I find that very vexing. I read your posts in this thread Anne and dug em. I take it you are still subscribed to this thread?

By the time I had read this thread I felt as if I had consumed some type of manual for PLing to my pleasure and benefit. But like crab legs which I love the taste of, sometimes I appreciate it if they are served out of the shell; sometimes even if they are served per-cracked I feel slightly vexed :evil: for having to "work so hard" for my meal! :P

I have read through some of the wikis here at librivox but do not recall this type of treatment of PLing. Do you know Anne if I missed it in the wikies?
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I appear to have contributed to this thread over 5 years ago, and things haven't changed - I am still notoriously nit-picky :lol:.

There are a couple of guides I can think of, one in the Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners

And the more comprehensive PL FAQ in the forum: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Hi Ruthie,
thx for the links. I have bookmarked them :thumbs:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Ruthie and Annise,

I see you are both on the LibriVox Admin team. How do things get decided here on librivox forum? I would like to include a synthesis of this thread in the wiki, and/or elsewhere as appropriate.

Is this a good idea?

If so, how can I accomplish it?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

This should give you an idea of how everything works: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works

This thread seems pretty wide-ranging. I'm not sure where a synthesis of it would fit as all the subjects are covered separately, but if you'd like to try, request a login as per the Wiki main page.

Ruth
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Thanks Ruthie, I am reviewing the wiki page right now.
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

OK Ruthie. I read the stuff and am "officially" :mrgreen: requesting access to the wiki.

Or

I could submit a draft of a potential modification...? I actually would prefer one such as yourself to approve of what I do before it gets as far as actually posting on the wiki..
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I wasn't an MC when I wrote that - and I don't think I had even BCed a project , re reading it makes me feel old
The PL guide lines are clear and as long as people follow them all is well.
One of the problems with too many rules is that every project is different , every reader is different , every text is different . every BC is different , every MC is different , and there are so many versions of English.

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, I agree that a lot of most old threads can get pretty out of date.

Timoleon: perhaps you would feel more comfortable waiting to edit anything in the Wiki until you have been here a little longer and have got used to things :). When you do feel ready, just PM one of us with your Wiki login request, including your email address.

Ruth
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

If this has already been covered, I do apologize. I just signed up to DPL two projects, but so far no one has recorded anything for me to review yet. Anyway, I'm wondering about the concept of pauses. We're instructed to listen for pauses that seem too long, but what constitutes a long pause? In my experience, several readers including myself simply read slowly. I've truncated quite a bit of silence in my own recordings, but when I asked for some constructive criticism, I was told that most readers would prefer a slightly slower reader to a lot of mechanically-truncated pauses. So, what is the policy on DPLing slow recordings? How long a pause is too long a pause--half a second? More than a second? Three to five seconds? Is it contextual?
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
Cori

Post by Cori »

Contextual. The least helpful answer of all. LOL!

I do have a recording, where I infamously made every comma 0.5 seconds, semi-colon 1, fullstop 2, etc. The effect is not one I'd recommend. So mainly I'd recommend listening out for pauses that make you wonder if the reader has gone for a cup of tea. Or where it's in the middle of a piece of action or developing thought, so even a few seconds pause sounds quite out of place.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I second what Cori said.
I only call readers' attention to unnatural pauses in the middle of a sentence, in places where you wouldn't expect a pause. I myself try not make pauses longer than 2 seconds and those I do only seldom, when there's a major change in the story's setting.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Goldengirl

Post by Goldengirl »

Great Plains wrote:I've been doing some PLing recently. I don't PL very often as I prefer to record. Does anyone have any tips or hints or work-flow suggestions about how I can better or more efficiently/effectively PL?

Thanks!
Where do I post my comments on the PL listening?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

In the project thread where you claimed the section to proof listen.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart