Help Improve Open Source Speech Recognition

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

Hi,

I am the admin for the VoxForge project. VoxForge collects transcribed speech audio for the creation of Acoustic Models for use with Open Source Speech Recognition Engines ('SRE's). An Acoustic Model is basically a file that contains the statistical representations of sounds that make up the words in a large corpus of spoken audio. Currently, most Acoustic Models included with Open Source SREs are closed source (i.e. they don't provide the source audio because of license restrictions). VoxForge hopes to address this problem.

We are looking for submissions of audio books to help us with our goal. We are looking for audio books in uncompressed format (i.e. before you compress your audio book to mp3 for submission to Librivox), up to a 48kHz sampling rate at 16 bits per sample. Please consider submitting your ebook to VoxForge.

We've set up a page on the VoxForge site (called Uploads) that allows you to submit your audio books to VoxForge using an FTP client of your choice.

thanks in advance,

Ken
www.voxforge.org
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Great idea Ken but I'm afraid once a project is in the catalogue, most of us dump the raw, uncompressed files as they are sooo huge and we have limited space on our hard drives.

Will keep it in mind for the future though.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kayray

Post by kayray »

It's easy enough to take mp3s and re-convert them to .wav. Feel free to use any of our books, Ken!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi ken contacted me about this... i thought we might be able to help... we could just put out a request here for say 20 people to offer up their next recordings in wav?

I'll contirbute one or 2...
kayray

Post by kayray »

Would single chapters be useful, or do you need entire complete books? (Sorry, haven't read your project page yet)
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kristin

Post by kristin »

I still have the wav files from most of the recordings I've done (at least since I got my new computer.) Definitely, from two of my solo projects and my duet with Kara.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

Starlite wrote:Great idea Ken but I'm afraid once a project is in the catalogue, most of us dump the raw, uncompressed files as they are sooo huge and we have limited space on our hard drives.

Will keep it in mind for the future though.

Esther :)
Hi Esther,

thanks for the reply,

Even a portion of what you recorded would be helpful. We need audio from as many different people, reading as much varied text as possible. We are looking for uncompressed audio because it provides the best quality audio for acoustic model creation.

Ken
www.voxforge.org
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

kayray wrote:It's easy enough to take mp3s and re-convert them to .wav. Feel free to use any of our books, Ken!
Hi Kara,

MP3 compressed audio converted to wav is not the best audio for the creation of Acoustic Models for Speech Recognition. The compression introduces some noise that might affect the recognition process. Having said that, it may be 'good enough' for our purposes, and we are creating a sub-project within VoxForge (hopefully through Google Summer of Code) to explore this idea further, and are planning to use Librivox mp3 audio.

However, if we can get uncompressed audio, it would be better. Because Speech Recognition Engines work best to recognize the same type of speech audio (i.e. uncompressed) their Acoustic Models were trained with.

thanks,

Ken
www.voxforge.org
kayray

Post by kayray »

I understand. And since random chapters are OK, it'll be easy to upload my chapters to you before I delete the .wavs.
Kara
--------
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

kayray wrote:Would single chapters be useful, or do you need entire complete books? (Sorry, haven't read your project page yet)
Hi Kayray,

Any contribution would be greatly appreciated.

We need audio contributions from as many different people as possible (covering different dialects and regions), using different equipment (headset mics, desktop boom mics, etc. on laptops, desktops, using an audio card or usb pod) reading a variety of texts.

thanks,

Ken
www.voxforge.org
kayray

Post by kayray »

Four chapters of "Persuasion" uploading now. Hope I followed all the protocol correctly :)
Kara
--------
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

kayray wrote:Four chapters of "Persuasion" uploading now. Hope I followed all the protocol correctly :)
Amazing! thank you so much.

When you get a chance, please include a README file with your submission. It's a bit tedious I know, but it will help with the classification of the your submitted audio. In addition, there are a few academics who interested in this project, and such information would help with their speech recognition research (especially microphone type).

Any feedback on improving the process would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ken
www.voxforge.org
kayray

Post by kayray »

I did include a README... the upload won't finish for another hour, at least, so that file may not be on your server yet :)

The instructions were clear and straightforward. I remembered to amend my text files to include EVERY word that I spoke (librivox disclaimer, "end of chapter" etc). You didn't specify any filenaming conventions for the .wavs and textfiles, so I just went with something logical.

I am a passionate believer in open source projects, so I'm delighted to help with yours!
Kara
--------
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

What an awesome project. I've often felt that speech recognition is a neglected area of Open Source software. I will contribute what I can.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
kmaclean

Post by kmaclean »

kayray wrote:I did include a README... the upload won't finish for another hour, at least, so that file may not be on your server yet :)

The instructions were clear and straightforward. I remembered to amend my text files to include EVERY word that I spoke (librivox disclaimer, "end of chapter" etc). You didn't specify any filenaming conventions for the .wavs and textfiles, so I just went with something logical.

I am a passionate believer in open source projects, so I'm delighted to help with yours!
Sorry, I spoke too soon, I've got everything.

thanks for the submission!

Ken
www.voxforge.org