COMPLETE - [DR] The Heart's Kingdom-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

The Heart's Kingdom by Maria Thompson Daviess (1872 - 1924).
Charlotte Powers is a woman who loves life, and is set to marry Nickols just as soon as she can figure herself out. However, coming home and meeting the charismatic pastor that seems to have influenced all her friends, tips her worldview, and she doesn't know what to do. ( Kristingj)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/the-hearts-kingdom-by-maria-thompson-daviess-2/

For this project:
BC: Kristingj
Editor: Kristingj
DPL: HoosierMary
MC: MaryAnnSpiegel
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18756 Please read only from the Google Doc link for the chapter in which your character appears.
    5. Prooflistening level: Special Proof Listening - Dramatic Works. Prospective PL'ers, please see the Listeners Wanted FAQ.
    6. Please claim by role. When you pick a character, you will read that character for all the chapters he/she is in. Submit a separate file for each chapter.

Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

As an experiment, there is a section in the MW for each chapter of each character role. This may make it easier to post links and track PL notes and status of each submitted file without resort to html text and hyperlinks in the Reader Notes column of the MW. Of course when you pick a character you read that character for all the chapters he/she is in, submitting a separate file for each chapter as always.

Gender neutral casting.

Feel free to pick several roles, as long as they are not in the same chapter.

Explanation to some of the parts left
      Billy Harvey - A young man
      Dabney - The Powers' servant (black)
      The Stray - Martha's son, born out of wedlock. A child.
      Mikey - a young boy
      Mother Spurlock - and aging women, who cares for everyone in Harpeth Valley
      Jacob - Martha's abusing father, and in all generalness, a bit of an ass
      Sue, James, Jimmy - children
      Hampton Dibrell, Glifton Grey - young men

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: PeF9q60N
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Maria Thompson Daviess) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Thompson_Daviess
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 206
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1917
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; Romance; Religious Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
    8. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading the narrator, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of The Heart's Kingdom by Maria Thompson Daviess. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    9. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps FLAC
      heartskingdom_[role]_[##].flac (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Kristingj on March 6th, 2015, 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kristin,
I can MC this for you. Will drop you a PM with a few thoughts before I set up the MW.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kristin,

The MW is up and ready for you to complete. Let me know if you have any questions.

I changed the first post to indicate gender neutral casting and to clean up some of the other language. I assume you will have a google doc for each chapter with indications as to who is to read what.

It sounds like you are going to edit. Do you have a PLer lined up?

When the project is ready to catalog, I will ask you to provide the information necessary to create the cast list which is posted on the Librivox Catalog and on Archive pages. I've put together a template which you may use to send that information to me - you can download a copy here in excel or here in word. You may also use your own format, provided that you provide the same information for each reader and that all roles for a given reader are listed in a single line.

Please let me know if you have questions.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Kristin,

The MW is up and ready for you to complete. Let me know if you have any questions.

I changed the first post to indicate gender neutral casting and to clean up some of the other language. I assume you will have a google doc for each chapter with indications as to who is to read what.

It sounds like you are going to edit. Do you have a PLer lined up?

When the project is ready to catalog, I will ask you to provide the information necessary to create the cast list which is posted on the Librivox Catalog and on Archive pages. I've put together a template which you may use to send that information to me - you can download a copy here in excel or here in word. You may also use your own format, provided that you provide the same information for each reader and that all roles for a given reader are listed in a single line.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to edit, no, I don't have a PL'er, figured I would post for one when I get everything set up:)
And yes, I do have the google docs all made up.

EDIT: You will see that I have Charlotte/Narrator in one part, and they are supposed to be, and as I will be reading that part myself, I'm just going to record them together.
Last edited by Kristingj on February 9th, 2014, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

And it's all ready:)
Kristin

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kristin,
It seems I need to ask for access to look at the google docs linked in the MW. Is that how you intend to have it set up?
MaryAnn
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Kristin,
It seems I need to ask for access to look at the google docs linked in the MW. Is that how you intend to have it set up?
MaryAnn
Obs, forgot to share them, they should be good to go now:)
Kristin

WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

May I have Mammy?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Can I have Martha please? I feel like playing a woman of "ill repute"! ;)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

WoollyBee wrote:May I have Mammy?
Elizabby wrote:Can I have Martha please? I feel like playing a woman of "ill repute"! ;)
Welcome to the show;)
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

By the way, guys, I want the sections in flac, just so you're aware.
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Kristingj wrote:By the way, guys, I want the sections in flac, just so you're aware.
That's no problem - can I just ask why everyone is moving from MP3 to FLAC lately? Is there an advantage to these files that I don't know about?
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:
Kristingj wrote:By the way, guys, I want the sections in flac, just so you're aware.
That's no problem - can I just ask why everyone is moving from MP3 to FLAC lately? Is there an advantage to these files that I don't know about?
It's better quality to the file. When you compress into mp3, you lose data, even though you may not notice it. So some of us chose to get the files in flac from you; we still have to make the whole thing into mp3, but then the recordings won't be compressed twice.
Kristin

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving this thread to readers wanted . . .
abendlied

Post by abendlied »

Hi there!

Can I have Charlotte Morgan?

Best,
Sarah