More recent Sci fi

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 8th, 2007, 7:24 am

I should mention that if anyone wants to read from the scanned images, rather than an etext, I have them for most of the SF on the Silver list at DP. That includes all of the Doc Smith, the John W. Campbell, Harry Harrison, Ray Cummings and the H. Beam Piper that hasn't posted yet.

Greg Weeks

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 12th, 2007, 7:57 am

The White Invaders, by Ray Cummings
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20551

and

Out Around Rigel, by Robert H. Wilson
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20553

Posted to Project Gutenberg over the weekend.

Greg Weeks

sjmarky
Posts: 2633
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » February 15th, 2007, 7:23 pm

gweeks wrote:I should mention that if anyone wants to read from the scanned images, rather than an etext, I have them for most of the SF on the Silver list at DP. That includes all of the Doc Smith, the John W. Campbell, Harry Harrison, Ray Cummings and the H. Beam Piper that hasn't posted yet.

Greg Weeks
Which Piper are you referring to?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Robert Marquardt
Posts: 62
Joined: December 8th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Germany

Post by Robert Marquardt » February 15th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Have a look yourself http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_%28Bookshelf%29
AFAIK the Pipers are all in PPV stage so should be posted to PG soon.

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 16th, 2007, 6:22 am

Robert Marquardt wrote:Have a look yourself http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_%28Bookshelf%29
AFAIK the Pipers are all in PPV stage so should be posted to PG soon.
No, they are not. "The Cosmic Computer" and "Space Viking" are in PP not PPV. The last three shorts are in waiting for PPV now. No one has picked them up for PPV yet. The Doc Smith "Galaxy Primes" in also in waiting for PPV.

Greg Weeks

Robert Marquardt
Posts: 62
Joined: December 8th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Germany

Post by Robert Marquardt » February 16th, 2007, 7:51 am

Do not hit me I am an innocent newbie :-)

All PPVers please get them done!

sjmarky
Posts: 2633
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » February 16th, 2007, 8:01 am

gweeks wrote:
Robert Marquardt wrote:Have a look yourself http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_%28Bookshelf%29
AFAIK the Pipers are all in PPV stage so should be posted to PG soon.
No, they are not. "The Cosmic Computer" and "Space Viking" are in PP not PPV. The last three shorts are in waiting for PPV now. No one has picked them up for PPV yet. The Doc Smith "Galaxy Primes" in also in waiting for PPV.

Greg Weeks
This is good news!

I recorded Cosmic Computer from te Manybooks.net text and it was a nightmare. Poorly scsnned and OCR'd and apparently not even given a basic proofreading the text was full of misspelled and misscanned words. One of the main character's names changed a third-way through. In some passages the punctuation was so fouled up I couldn't tell who was speaking. I ended up tracking down a copy of the actual paperback.

I'm sure all Manybooks.net texts aren't this bad, but it will be a relief having them on PG. Much better quality control.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 16th, 2007, 8:08 am

sjmarky wrote:
gweeks wrote:
Robert Marquardt wrote:Have a look yourself http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_%28Bookshelf%29
AFAIK the Pipers are all in PPV stage so should be posted to PG soon.
No, they are not. "The Cosmic Computer" and "Space Viking" are in PP not PPV. The last three shorts are in waiting for PPV now. No one has picked them up for PPV yet. The Doc Smith "Galaxy Primes" in also in waiting for PPV.

Greg Weeks
This is good news!

I recorded Cosmic Computer from te Manybooks.net text and it was a nightmare. Poorly scsnned and OCR'd and apparently not even given a basic proofreading the text was full of misspelled and misscanned words. One of the main character's names changed a third-way through. In some passages the punctuation was so fouled up I couldn't tell who was speaking. I ended up tracking down a copy of the actual paperback.

I'm sure all Manybooks.net texts aren't this bad, but it will be a relief having them on PG. Much better quality control.
I've listened to this one. You did a great job.

Manybooks grabbed their copy from www.pgdp.net very early in the proofing. It's just now getting finished up in PP.

Greg Weeks

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 16th, 2007, 8:10 am

Robert Marquardt wrote:Do not hit me I am an innocent newbie :-)

All PPVers please get them done!
I thought I had one lined up, but it didn't work out. They are just siting out in the pool right now waiting for someone to take them up.

Greg Weeks

Robert Marquardt
Posts: 62
Joined: December 8th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Germany

Post by Robert Marquardt » February 16th, 2007, 10:21 am

gweeks wrote: Manybooks grabbed their copy from www.pgdp.net very early in the proofing. It's just now getting finished up in PP.

Greg Weeks
This is where manybooks.net really sucks.

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 23rd, 2007, 6:47 am

Oomphel in the Sky by H. Beam Piper is over at Project Gutenberg now.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20649

Greg Weeks

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 26th, 2007, 6:07 am

Ministry of Disturbance by H. Beam Piper is at Project Gutenberg now.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20659

Greg Weeks

sjmarky
Posts: 2633
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » February 26th, 2007, 3:34 pm

gweeks wrote:Ministry of Disturbance by H. Beam Piper is at Project Gutenberg now.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20659

Greg Weeks
It's been a veritable Piper-a-Rama.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

gweeks
Posts: 242
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 11:47 am

Post by gweeks » February 26th, 2007, 3:52 pm

sjmarky wrote: It's been a veritable Piper-a-Rama.
Well, I'm expecting some Doc Smith soon.

Greg Weeks

PaulW
Posts: 2272
Joined: February 24th, 2007, 5:00 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Post by PaulW » February 27th, 2007, 1:45 am

Piper, the Doc, and Andre Norton are my top three favorite authores (when I could read physical books), and I'm eagerly anticipating proof-listening any of their works I can find :D . Manybooks. net has Norton's Plague Ship and The Time Traders, I hope that they're in progress at PG. It's too bad the Library of Congress NLS doesn't have much of anything Andre wrote. :cry:

I've already downloaded and listened (several times) to The Cosmic Computer and to the Five SciFi Short Stories by Piper collection. Wonderful job :thumbs:

Paul from Austin TX

Post Reply