COMPLETE[POST-APOCALYP] Underground Man by Gabriel Tarde -rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Underground Man by Gabriel Tarde (1843 - 1904). Translated by Cloudesley Shovell Henry Brereton (1863 - 1937)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/underground-man-by-gabriel-tarde/
This post-apocalyptic novella tells the story of the downfall of civilisation and mankind following a solar cataclysm in the late 20th century. To survive, the remnants of humanity had to build a new civilization underground in the complete absence of all species except mankind, choosing to base it only on love and beauty, the fine arts and intellectual pursuits.

In view of the sun's current inactivity, this frighteningly prophetic tale might have been written today, saving that the cultural references and the fluid prose might be beyond, if one dares say so, many modern writers.

Tarde was a French sociologist, criminologist and social psychologist. This novella was, as far as I know, his only venture into the writing of fiction, and is heavy with philosophical, sociological, scientific and even political concepts. It is an absorbing and thought-provoking work. (Summary by Ruth Golding)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33549
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    • Project Code: pX7dLC72

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, disaster, post-apocalyptic, sci fi, civilization

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of Underground Man. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Underground Man, by Gabriel Tarde. Translated by Cloudesley Brereton [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of Underground Man by Gabriel Tarde. Translated by Cloudesley Brereton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Underground Man, by Gabriel Tarde. Translated by Cloudesley Brereton"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    • Example filename undergroundman_##_tarde_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. undergroundman_01_tarde_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags
      Artist: Gabriel Tarde
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Underground Man

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ruthieg
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Do you need a proof-listener, by any chance? (I totally understand if not as I see there is no tilde, but thought I would ask just on the offchance!)
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'd love a proof-listener, thank you, Loveday. I just slid this into Going Solo because I really, really shouldn't be starting another solo while I have so much unfinished, but I couldn't resist this one and it is only short.

Ruth
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Wonderful! I am very much looking forward to listening.
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 1 uploaded. This is highly enjoyable (for me, at least!).

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 2 uploaded. The bit about the blue sun in 1883 is actually true. The eruption of Krakatoa caused it, apparently!

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 3 uploaded.

Ruth
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

:mrgreen: I am very envious Ruth; This looks wonderful. I look forward to listening to it. You find good stuff!!
:thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, Phil. It was a lucky find. Beautifully written and a joy to record.

Chapter 4 uploaded.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

And Loveday, when you see this, look at this article on the BBC site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Sends a chill down the spine, doesn't it? ;)

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 5 uploaded.

Ruth
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Hi Ruth - I'd love to DPL, but only if you are not in a hurry (the turn-over for me is up to a week these days). Otherwise I'll enjoy listening once it's catalogued :)
Kathrine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

That would be great, thanks, Kathrine :).

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 6 uploaded :).

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Chapter 7 uploaded :).

Ruth