COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

patmorgan235 wrote:Thanks lubee930
Section 18 PL notes
0:40 questionable pause?(would like a second opinion )
8:30 changed "She took herself to talk for ..." to "She took herself to task for..."
at the end it needs a second or two of silence between "...many things." and "end of chapter..." its a bit abrupt
Other than that it was a great recording to listen to.
Hi, patmorgan235--Wow, you got right on it! :clap:

As for the pause at 0:40 and the amount of silence before the reader says "End of Chapter 18"--I would say that both of these are just fine. We usually do not make note of a silence mid-recording unless it is really excessively long, like maybe 5-6 seconds. In those cases, it might confuse the listener, like "Is the recording done already?" But I don't see a problem with either of these spots.

You will find that the various readers in group projects all have different reading paces and styles--but that's all right. (I think that I read kind of slowly compared to other people, for instance.) It makes for an interesting and enjoyable listen. Again, for standard prooflistening--you are listening for any repeats or loud noises (like a cough or a clap) that the reader probably meant to edit out. If you hear something that makes you say, "Huh? What in the world did the reader just say there?" and that would possibly change the meaning of the text, then that might be something that you should mention to the reader. Listen to hear that the Intro/Outro are properly read per the instructions in the first post, along with the beginning and ending silences. If there seems to be excessive background noise, then we can investigate that problem. Also, if the volume seems very loud or much too quiet, then we can mention that issue as well. (If you are interested, there are tools that can be downloaded for free that some of us use to check the volume on tracks more precisely--but using them not required.)

As for the sentence that Arie read as "She took herself to task...": Some of these transcriptions of old, old texts end up with typos here and there. I'll bet that Arie decided that this was a typo, and so recorded what made more sense to her in the context of the story. As it turns out, I think that Arie was correct. This book was originally published as a serial novel in "The Colored American Magazine" back in 1901-1902. I searched out a scan of that particular portion of the text (you can see it here, first column on the page).

So bear in mind that if a word doesn't make sense or looks goofy in the text that we are reading from, then it might just be a typo. :) I don't think that we need an edit from Arie on this one. (But that's a good catch. I personally do read along with the text when I am PL'ing--it allows me to see if the reader has accidentally left out some words/sentences that might change the meaning. Bear in mind, though, that it is not required that you read along for standard proof-listening.)

So with your consent, I'm going to mark Section 18 PL OK. And I agree with you on Section 19 as well--it is PL OK. Since we are not looking for WordPerfect PL'ing here, that transposition would not require a correction.

Excellent job on the PL'ing, patmorgan235. Thank you so much for jumping in here! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 »

Thanks for the tips I'll be sure to keep those in mind

Section 26 PL OK
Patric Morgan
DPL
patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 »

Sections 29-31 PL OK
Patric Morgan
DPL
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

Here are sections 27 & 28, 16:35 and 16:40 respectively:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_27_hopkins_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_28_hopkins_128kb.mp3

A couple of things about section 28: At 06:11 I said 'drive on like hell' instead of 'drive on like h-'. Then there was an obvious typo at 09:24 of footfall instead of football. The last thing is at 16:25 where I said 'It was now Jewel's turn to become excited' instead of 'It was not Jewel's turn to become excited'. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Arie
Cheers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

VanOs12 wrote:Here are sections 27 & 28, 16:35 and 16:40 respectively:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_27_hopkins_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_28_hopkins_128kb.mp3
A couple of things about section 28: At 06:11 I said 'drive on like hell' instead of 'drive on like h-'. Then there was an obvious typo at 09:24 of footfall instead of football. The last thing is at 16:25 where I said 'It was now Jewel's turn to become excited' instead of 'It was not Jewel's turn to become excited'. Let me know if I need to change anything.
Arie
Thanks so much, Arie! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I am still going to record the chapters I've claimed. I'm sorry that it's been so long since I claimed them, but things suddenly got quite busy for me. They should be calming back down next week, so I plan to do some recording then. I hope I haven't inconvenienced anyone.

Emma
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ecelm wrote:Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I am still going to record the chapters I've claimed. I'm sorry that it's been so long since I claimed them, but things suddenly got quite busy for me. They should be calming back down next week, so I plan to do some recording then. I hope I haven't inconvenienced anyone.
Emma
No problem, Emma--there is plenty of time. Thanks for the update! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 »

Section 27 PL OK
Patric Morgan
DPL
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

patmorgan235 wrote:Section 27 PL OK
Thanks, Patric! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I've downloaded and PL'ed your sections, Michele--great job on all! :thumbs: (Note to Patric: I sent you a PM regarding these files.)

Section 34: PL OK
Section 35: PL OK
Section 36: PL OK
Section 37: PL OK

Well, that's the problem with PL'ing on a group project, right? I've got the final chapters under my belt--now will have to go back and fill in the rest! :D Thanks, Michele!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote:Well, that's the problem with PL'ing on a group project, right? I've got the final chapters under my belt--now will have to go back and fill in the rest! :D Thanks, Michele!
Thanks for PL'ing my sections! I can't help myself wanting a quick response after giving it my all, but I'm really sorry you don't get the full effect. Not fair to hear the end before the middle, losing the import of so many details!

I think this is a very important if little known book, and I can't wait to listen to the whole book in sequence myself and recommend it to friends and family. Only 3 sections still left unrecorded. If you need help with those, let me know.
patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 »

section 28 PL OK
Patric Morgan
DPL
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry it took me so long, but I finally finished recording my last chapters (and the last chapters of all - sorry to make you all wait on me).

Chapter 23 is 20min25secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_23_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Chapter 24 is 6min25secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_24_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Chapter 25 is 11min54secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_25_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if there is any editing to do.

It has been wonderful working with all of you!

Emma
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ecelm wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm sorry it took me so long, but I finally finished recording my last chapters (and the last chapters of all - sorry to make you all wait on me).
Chapter 23 is 20min25secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_23_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Chapter 24 is 6min25secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_24_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Chapter 25 is 11min54secs.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_25_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Please let me know if there is any editing to do.
It has been wonderful working with all of you!
Emma
Emma, no worries at all--we're not in any race to get this project finished! Thank you for your sections--I appreciate all of the work that you did here! :)

Just FYI for any interested parties--the reader for Section 02 contacted me via PM to say that she would see what she could do about making corrections to her section. Her reading is really lovely, so I am going to give her a bit of time to post her edited file.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi to all--

Well, I believe that it is time to wrap this project up. We've been nearly there for quite some time. As it has been over three weeks now since I heard from the reader of Section 02 about making the requested corrections, I have edited the file myself. The PL notes for the file:

Section 02:
--At ~3:36 the text shows “… and another woman whose looks expressed the anguish of her heart.”—but I hear “…and another woman whose looks expressed the anguish of her hearch.”
--At ~12:21 the text shows “Never permit this federal government to pass into the traitorous hands of the black Republican party.”—but I hear “Never permit this federal government to pass into the tratorius hands of the black Republican party.”
--At ~20:48 there is a repeat “ ‘Bad news?’ ventured Walker, with unusual familiarity.”

I cut and pasted a bit more of a "t" sound for the first note, and I snipped out the repeat for the final note. The "traitorous/tratorius" fix isn't perfectly seamless (gave it my best shot), but I think it will pass--and most importantly, we'll still use this track in the project. I also used light Compressor on the track before uploading. Jo, if you (or anyone else) would like to check my fixes, you are more than welcome to do so. I've marked the file PL OK.

Patric--Unless I hear otherwise from you, I will go ahead and PL the final files myself tomorrow (Sections 23, 24, and 25). It's time to share this book with others! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia