Librivox app for android phones.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
andrewritson747

Post by andrewritson747 »

Hi all, as most would be aware librivox has an android app for phones I highly recomend this it can have issues from time to time but it leaves alot of the other audio book apps in it's dust :thumbs: and its a good way of supporting librivox and it's volunteers :D .
Andrew Ritson
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It doesn't support LibriVox at all. It's a third-party app. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
andrewritson747

Why allow it to use the Librivox name ?
Andrew Ritson
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Because we can't stop them from doing so, for one thing. :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

To elaborate a little, LibriVox is not a legal entity and the name isn't trademarked or anything like that. We should prefer app producers, or anyone else, not to use the name without making it 100% clear that it is nothing to do with us, beyond their use of our public domain recordings. Apart from anything else, we wouldn't receive so many complaints or requests for help on apps that we know nothing about ;).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
andrewritson747

Really that is so cheeky and there is nothing you can do :shock: , I shouldn't be shocked but am in this case :hmm:
Andrew Ritson
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Andrew san,

Welcome to LibriVox. Your feedback is always welcome.
andrewritson747 wrote:it can have issues from time to time
Can you elaborate about these issues?
Is it possible to reproduce the issues?
Usually information are fed from librivox.org. So several issues can be fixed only at librivox.org.
For example, misspelled titles, misspelled author names etc.
Recording problems can be fixed only at librivox.org.
For example, big noise, long silence etc.

Please just remember that several problems can't be fixed at librivox.org.

Cheers,
Masa
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

andrewritson747 wrote:Really that is so cheeky and there is nothing you can do :shock: , I shouldn't be shocked but am in this case :hmm:
We believe in the public domain, but others prefer to profit from it - look at the hundreds of print-on-demand "publishers" who profit from Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive books. In the case of apps (and indeed of those who sell our recordings in CD format on Ebay for very small profit), we are extremely pleased that third parties make our recordings available in more formats than we can, though we should prefer that they make it clear that it is not financially to LibriVox's benefit. Caveat: some of the app producers do, I believe, make donations from time to time, but I have no detailed information on that.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

I've been using the paid version of this app for a couple of months. However, recently (possibly after an Android update) it has begun pausing frequently in the middle of play. I use audiobooks in the car and I obviously can't open the app to hit PLAY while I'm driving. Anyone have a fix for this?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Brewerpaul wrote: May 13th, 2019, 9:11 am I've been using the paid version of this app for a couple of months. However, recently (possibly after an Android update) it has begun pausing frequently in the middle of play. I use audiobooks in the car and I obviously can't open the app to hit PLAY while I'm driving. Anyone have a fix for this?
I'd suggest you contact the app developer. We don't own, endorse, support, or benefit from the "LibriVox" app.
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

I realize that this app is not made by Librivox and have tried to get information on how to fix the bug which apparently many people have experienced. I tried to contact the developers but have not received any useful advice. There are a lot of other players out there, so I'll keep trying more of them
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

is this the email you are trying - support AT bookdesign.biz ? I was given it last time there was a problem, I'm not sure it's the right one though.

Anne
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

I think so but I can try again. Thanks.
Now that I think hard about it, maybe I didn't write about this second problem. :oops:
Anyway, the only suggestions I found,either in an email or online, was to turn off any data or battery saving settings.
I didn't want to do this since I do want to save data and battery. After poking around in settings, I realized that I can turn
these off just for the Librivox app. I've just done that,and I'll check it out later.
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

Success! After making the setting changes mentioned above,I listened to an audiobook for several hours yesterday without a glitch :clap: . I'm a very happy camper!