COMPLETE: Tales of Terror and Mystery by A.Conan Doyle SW/cs

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Dri

Post by Dri »

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/tales-of-terror-and-mystery-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle/

Don't you just love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories?

There are 12 stories in the compilation "Tales of Terror and Mystery". I would like to take two readings at this time. So, if you feel like reading these great short stories, no need to hold back.

Note to readers: Please note that we're using the new and improved LibriVox intro - at the very beginning, say "[name of story] by Arthur Conan Doyle" then the usual "This is a LibriVox recording..." (see also point 7. below)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your story, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/537
  5. Please claim stories (the numbers in the first column below)!

edit me
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Tales of Terror and Mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle [Name of Story]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:"Tales of Terror and Mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle. [Name of story]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the story, say:
      End of [name of story] by Arthur Conan Doyle."
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording:
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      [##-name of story]_doyle_[initials readers].mp3 (all lower-case, no spaces. ). (01-thehorroroftheheights_doyle_t4a.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [## name of story] (01 The Horror of the Heights)
      Artist: Arthur Conan Doyle
      Album: Tales of Terror and Mystery

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • Your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • The file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)

Enjoy. :)

Igor
Last edited by Dri on February 20th, 2007, 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
circuitloss

Post by circuitloss »

I'm new to this, and this is exactly what I'm looking for to start with. Can I take a crack at a short one, like The Leather Funnel?

Too bad more Lovecraft isn't in the public domain, I love to read that aloud...but Doyle will do fine. :-)

Edit: Also, would you pronounce "Dacre" with a French "-reh" or in the Anglicized way, "Dacker" (to rhyme with Baker)
circuitloss

Post by circuitloss »

Let me try "The New Catacomb" too. They're both very short.

Thanks!
Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett »

Hello.

Can I put in a bid for 'The Brazilian Cat', please?

Justin
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Dri,
Cool project! I'll MC this for you - just give me a little while to get it entered into the database and all, and then I'll set up your Magic Window for you.

One quick thing -- to allow the stories to be listed in the proper order (not just alphabetically) in the finished book, we need to add a number to the beginning of each filename and "title" id3 tag, like this:

01-[name of story]_doyle_[initials readers].mp3
Title: 01 - [name of story]

When we add the titles to the Magic Window, we can add numbers as well so your readers know exactly what do.

Also, I *strongly* suggest that you include all 13 stories. The listeners who download this book might be expecting 13 stories, and might not find the one in the other collection. And we like alternate versions, anyway. :) edit: I must have misunderstood you -- this book has only 12 stories. So, nevermind! :)

I'll be back in a bit!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ok, your Magic Window is up.

I added the chapter titles and the readers who've already signed up, but you can do the rest. "Scott Bush" is a bit of a mystery... he's not in our database as far as I can tell.

Here's some Magic Window documentation for you:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dt724vw_3gtjj3b

And I'll PM you the login information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, if you don't have server space for the temporary storage of these files, I recommend http://mediafire.com/ as they have no expiration date and the files can stay there until they are proofed and cataloged. But tell your readers ALSO to keep their files on their own computers, just in case. And it wouldn't hurt for you to keep a copy, too. Things happen...
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Dri

Post by Dri »

kayray wrote:Ok, your Magic Window is up.

I added the chapter titles and the readers who've already signed up, but you can do the rest. "Scott Bush" is a bit of a mystery... he's not in our database as far as I can tell.

Here's some Magic Window documentation for you:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dt724vw_3gtjj3b

Hello Kara, circuitloss and Justin,

thank you for helping to bring these great pieces of English literature to life.

I hope, everything will go well.

Happy recording,
Igor
kayray wrote:And I'll PM you the login information. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you, Kara. Please check your PM inbox. :)
Dri

Post by Dri »

kayray wrote:Hi Dri,
Cool project! I'll MC this for you - just give me a little while to get it entered into the database and all, and then I'll set up your Magic Window for you.

One quick thing -- to allow the stories to be listed in the proper order (not just alphabetically) in the finished book, we need to add a number to the beginning of each filename and "title" id3 tag, like this:

01-[name of story]_doyle_[initials readers].mp3
Title: 01 - [name of story]

When we add the titles to the Magic Window, we can add numbers as well so your readers know exactly what do.

Also, I *strongly* suggest that you include all 13 stories. The listeners who download this book might be expecting 13 stories, and might not find the one in the other collection. And we like alternate versions, anyway. :) edit: I must have misunderstood you -- this book has only 12 stories. So, nevermind! :)
Hm, it means I cannot count. :)

Thank you, Kara.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hello Dri =)

I'd like to record 04 The Case of Lady Sannox if it is still available. If it is already assigned, please just pick one for me =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
jamily

Post by jamily »

Hi Dri
I'd like to have The Man with the Watches if it's still available.
kayray

Post by kayray »

thistlechick and jamily
Dri is having a bit of trouble logging in to the Magic Window, so I've signed you both up :) Have fun!
Kara
--------
Dri

Post by Dri »

kayray wrote:thistlechick and jamily
Dri is having a bit of trouble logging in to the Magic Window, so I've signed you both up :) Have fun!
Thank you, Kara. Now I've found the edit me button. First I counted to 13 when there were only 12 stories then I looked all over for the link on the right side when it actually was located left. Oh well, things can only get better. :)

Hello thistlechick and jamily. Welcome to this project.

Happy reading.
Zuech

Post by Zuech »

I would like to read Section 8- The Beetle Hunter, please.

Thanks
Dri

Post by Dri »

Zuech wrote:I would like to read Section 8- The Beetle Hunter, please.

Thanks
Hello Zuech,

welcome to Librivox. I have reserved 8 - The Beetle Hunter for you. For the catalog system you may want to provide the following additional information.

Forum Name: Zuech
Catalog Name: ?
URL: (?)

Have fun, reading. :)
UnclePav

Post by UnclePav »

Hi,

I'm another first-timer. Could I read Section 10 - The Japanned Box, please?

Cheers