Pronunciation help needed - ancient Greek

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

lubee930 wrote:O.K., here I am contemplating another section in Calvin's Commentaries. How tricky are these two Greek words? Will I be able to manage them? (...crossing fingers behind back...) Would someone be able to show me a phonetic pronunciation, please?

"Some explain this of doctrine, so that ζημιουσθαι means simply to perish, and then what immediately follows they view as referring to the foundation, because in the Greek θεμελιος (foundation) is in the masculine gender."

Thanks for any help! :)
Hi Lucretia, I got your message, and I am here to help!

ζημιουσθαι can be pronounced either zay-MEE-oos-thy or zday-MEE-oos-thy
θεμελιος is pronounced theh-MEH-lee-os.

Good luck!
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thank you, thank you, Libby--I so appreciate your help!! :clap:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'm reading a couple of sections in Calvin's commentaries and need help with Greek and Hebrew pronunciation. I can't figure out how to type in the Greek words, but I have clipped them into a word document here: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/Pronunciation_help_needed_for_Commentary_of_Paul_to_the_Corinthians.zip

Total of 10 words . . .

:help:

MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi MaryAnn!

Taking this to be New Testament Greek, this is how I'd say the words:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/newtestamentgreekwords.mp3

the recording contains the words:
καταρτιξεσθαι :: ka-tar-ti-kse-sthe
κατηρτισμένος :: ka-tir-ti-zme-nos
οτι :: o-ti
λογοδαιδαλια :: lo-go-the-tha-li-a (repeated)
βλεπετε :: vle-pe-te
ουδενια :: oo-the-ni-a (repeated)

I hope it helps!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you!
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I have one more Greek work that I need help pronouncing for Calvin and Corinthians:

μωροσόφοιζ

I'm not sure about the last character - I didn't find anything in the Greek character set in Word that matched exactly what I saw on the book page, but it supposedly means "foolish sages".

Thank you!

MaryAnn
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I'd say it "morosóphois", with the S sounding like an S (not a Z) and the ph as an F (even though it's disputed). The symbol you see at the end is a lower-case sigma in final position (as in the extreme right of the picture in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma), I suppose. Similar enough to a zeta, which is what you had there. :D
Leni
=================
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Leni and Repunzelina,

I have two more words please:
μιμησιϛ
αθετεϊυ

I'm not sure I picked the right character with the double dotted "i" - but again, it's the closest I see on my keyboard to what's on the page.

Thank you.

MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello MaryAnn!

I found the words here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/calcom39.xxii.iii.html
Is it αθετεῖν with ~ over ι ? I would pronounce it a-the-TEEN.
I hope the listen function in google translate for the greek word is helpful: link

The μιμησις one I would pronounce MI-mi-sis (something like "Mrs" with a double "mi")

:D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rapunzelina wrote:Is it αθετεῖν with ~ over ι ?
Yes! That's it exactly!

Thank you Rapunzelina. That will enable me to finish my two remaining sections of Mr. Calvin's commentary. And from now on, I will review more carefully and avoid picking up any sections with words in non-Roman script - at least, not until after I am able to retire and take that class in new testament Greek!

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rapunzelina,

I beg that you or some other Greek speaker (modern or ancient) would help me with another Greek sentence which popped up in the introduction to the Magna Carta Commemoration project.

It's towards the top of this page and set off from the rest of the text: https://archive.org/stream/magnacartacommem00malduoft#page/xxvii/mode/1up

Thank you so much!

MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Mary Ann!

With Aristophanis it's Ancient Greek, and as with all ancient/dead languages, there are different schools of pronunciation. Here's my disclaimer :mrgreen: I follow the Reuchlinian pronunciation. I'd say it as:

ke tAfta men thee smikrA kapihOria

Link to google translate for the listen function. I hope it works and it's helpful!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Rapunzelina,

Thank you for the pronunciation guide,

And thank you for pointing out the "listen" feature on google translate. I never noticed that button before!

MaryAnn
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I need some help with the pronunciation of three Greek words (again from Calvin's Commentary on the Epistles of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians), please, if someone can find the time. The text excerpts are as follows:

"And to convey the idea of a moment, he afterwards makes use of the phrase twinkling (or jerk) of the eye, for in the Greek manuscripts there is a two fold, reading — ῥοπὣ (jerk,) or ῥιπὣ (twinkling.)"

"This is not merely an amplification, (ἐπεξεργασία,) but a confirmation, too, of the preceding statement."

A phonetic rendering and/or a recording of the words would be helpful. Thanks in advance! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Lucretia!

This is how I'd say the words, if you're still accepting pronunciation suggestions:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greekwords.mp3
ro-POH, ree-POH, e-pe-kser-ga-SI-a

:)