COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

Hello,

I have uploaded Chapter 17, at 16m56s.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_17_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Also, if I is okay, I would like to claim Chapters 20, 21, and 22. Am I claiming too much? I don't want to be greedy, I am just enjoying reading this book, and now that I'm used to it, it's nice to continue in the same vein. But if I am taking something away from others, please let me know.

Emma
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ecelm wrote:Hello,
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_17_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Also, if I is okay, I would like to claim Chapters 20, 21, and 22. Am I claiming too much? I don't want to be greedy, I am just enjoying reading this book, and now that I'm used to it, it's nice to continue in the same vein. But if I am taking something away from others, please let me know.
Emma

No, that's not being greedy at all. I'm happy to give you Sections 20-22--thank you for claiming them! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Emma
Very nice, Emma--just one note for you one this one.

Section 17:
--At ~14:43 the text shows "Whatever she has done has been in a spirit of pique which needs but your presence to overcome." I think that the word "pique" is pronounced like "peek", as spoken here, for instance.

That's it! If you will correct and upload again, then I will spot-check. Thanks! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

lubee930 wrote: Section 17:
--At ~14:43 the text shows "Whatever she has done has been in a spirit of pique which needs but your presence to overcome." I think that the word "pique" is pronounced like "peek", as spoken here, for instance.
Oh goodness, I can't believe I did that! I have had a life-long battle with that word - no matter how many times I correct myself, I still look at it and say it wrong. :roll: Yikes! :D

It is fixed, and uploaded here. Same time.

While we're at it, I have a question on Chapter 21. There is a part which I do NOT understand, and cannot figure out how it should be read. If you wouldn't mind helping me, I would appreciate it. :?

The text reads as follows:

Sumner could not answer her. He stared at the woman before him with unseeing eyes. He could not believe that he had heard aright.

"A son four years of age!" he repeated mechanically in shocked surprise. "This is most extraordinary! How can it be possible?" No wonder you are incredulous.

"Wait, wait!" she went on, "give me time. I will tell you all; it is your right to know. It has all been arranged so suddenly that my brain is in a whirl–I cannot think!"

My problem is with "No wonder you are surprised." If this is truly narration, as it is written to be, then it is the only time in the entire book that Hopkins refers to the reader as "you." I find this hard to believe. It seems to me that Elise Bradford (who is the "she" that begins talking next) should say it. But then it seems weird for her to say, "Wait, wait!" right after that. But maybe with a pause in between?? :hmm:

What do you think? I realize that I am probably overanalyzing and could just read it as written, but I tried, and it was just all wrong. Please advise.

Thanks!
Emma
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ecelm wrote:
lubee930 wrote: Section 17:
Oh goodness, I can't believe I did that! I have had a life-long battle with that word - no matter how many times I correct myself, I still look at it and say it wrong. :roll: Yikes! :D
It is fixed, and uploaded here. Same time.
While we're at it, I have a question on Chapter 21. There is a part which I do NOT understand, and cannot figure out how it should be read. If you wouldn't mind helping me, I would appreciate it. :?
The text reads as follows:
Sumner could not answer her. He stared at the woman before him with unseeing eyes. He could not believe that he had heard aright.
"A son four years of age!" he repeated mechanically in shocked surprise. "This is most extraordinary! How can it be possible?" No wonder you are incredulous.
"Wait, wait!" she went on, "give me time. I will tell you all; it is your right to know. It has all been arranged so suddenly that my brain is in a whirl–I cannot think!"

My problem is with "No wonder you are surprised." If this is truly narration, as it is written to be, then it is the only time in the entire book that Hopkins refers to the reader as "you." I find this hard to believe. It seems to me that Elise Bradford (who is the "she" that begins talking next) should say it. But then it seems weird for her to say, "Wait, wait!" right after that. But maybe with a pause in between?? :hmm:
What do you think? I realize that I am probably overanalyzing and could just read it as written, but I tried, and it was just all wrong. Please advise.
Thanks!
Emma
Hi, Emma--Thanks for making that correction. And no worries--we all have to correct things in our recordings. I discovered in my solo project on Mark Twain that I had mispronounced a particular word--and so went back and corrected every instance of it in the entire book. :shock: It happens to all of us now and then.

As far as the puzzling text that you've mentioned--sometimes there are typos in these online texts, so I searched around and found a scan of the original "Colored American Magazine" where the story was first serialized back in 1901-1902. You can see the portion that you quoted here. I don't see any typos in the material that you've mentioned, so that's not an issue.

In the sentence where the author says, "No wonder you are incredulous."--perhaps she is not referring to the reader. Perhaps this comment by the author refers to Cuthbert Sumner himself? Like an author's aside saying that it is no wonder that Cuthbert Sumner is incredulous about what is being revealed to him here? Just a possibility.

As far as the "Wait, wait!"--I kind of took it that Elise Bradford was just telling Sumner to give her a minute, asking that he not interrupt her--and then she would tell him the rest of the story.

Sometimes these old texts are a little difficult in language or syntax or content, that's for sure. Whatever interpretation you decide upon will be fine--just give it your best shot reading the text as it is written. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

lubee930 wrote: As far as the puzzling text that you've mentioned--sometimes there are typos in these online texts, so I searched around and found a scan of the original "Colored American Magazine" where the story was first serialized back in 1901-1902. You can see the portion that you quoted here. I don't see any typos in the material that you've mentioned, so that's not an issue.

In the sentence where the author says, "No wonder you are incredulous."--perhaps she is not referring to the reader. Perhaps this comment by the author refers to Cuthbert Sumner himself? Like an author's aside saying that it is no wonder that Cuthbert Sumner is incredulous about what is being revealed to him here? Just a possibility.

As far as the "Wait, wait!"--I kind of took it that Elise Bradford was just telling Sumner to give her a minute, asking that he not interrupt her--and then she would tell him the rest of the story.

Sometimes these old texts are a little difficult in language or syntax or content, that's for sure. Whatever interpretation you decide upon will be fine--just give it your best shot reading the text as it is written. :)
Thanks for finding that, Lucretia! I tried to find an original copy, and failed, so it is wonderful to have one to reference. I guess I'll just have to deal with my confusion, though, since it's not a type-o. :)

I understand the "Wait, wait!" - it makes total sense if it's the first thing she says. I was saying that if she also said "No wonder you are incredulous," then it would be odd for her to say it right afterwards. But since she doesn't say anything beforehand, no worries. I still find the section strangely written, but I will feel better reading it in confidence that it is what Hopkins intended. :thumbs:

Thanks again for the help. I will be uploading my next chapters soon.

Emma
msfry

Post by msfry »

My two cents on this: "This is most extraordinary! How can it be possible?" No wonder you are incredulous.
is this:

I think Cuthbert is saying it all, and the end quotation should fall after increduluous."

Cuthbert surely is incredulous, but isn't Miss Bradford also? She was discussing "unseen forces" and asking him if he believed in them. She seems to think her upcoming marriage is a miracle. At any rate, listeners will not likely notice who said it if you are using the same accent for both, or you can use a mixture and keep them guessing. :)
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:I think Cuthbert is saying it all, and the end quotation should fall after increduluous."
Yes, my first thought was that there might be a typo with the quotation marks. But no--the scan matched our text. I think that your interpretation makes sense as well, Michele. So I guess the answer will be revealed with Emma's recording! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote:
msfry wrote:I think Cuthbert is saying it all, and the end quotation should fall after increduluous."
Yes, my first thought was that there might be a typo with the quotation marks. But no--the scan matched our text. I think that your interpretation makes sense as well, Michele. So I guess the answer will be revealed with Emma's recording! :)
Ha, well, magazines have typos too, and they get carried forward like gossip on the internet! No matter, it's not going to alter the plot. Part of the fun of recording is we get to interpret printed text into spoken word. It's an artistic process! Emma's the artist on this one!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ecelm wrote:It is fixed, and uploaded here. Same time.
Thanks!
Emma
Great job on your edit, Emma! :thumbs:

Section 17: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Jo--

I wanted to let you know that patmorgan235 has graciously agreed to help me out here by stepping in as our DPL. Could you please update the MW for us? Thanks! :)

Hi again, patmorgan235! First, as DPL you will need to establish a new password for the Workflow Tool. You can find the procedures in this document: First Time Access - Workflow Tool

Once you get the password set up (and after our MC has added you as DPL), then you will be able to click on the "BC Admin" link directly underneath the MW to get in and make updates. It sounds like you've already done some research, but you can find information about PL'ing here: Guide for Proof-Listeners.

This project has standard level of proof listening (as opposed to Word Perfect). You may follow along in the text as you listen to files if you wish to do so, but it is not required. Some people do, others do not--your choice. :) Once you have listened to a section, you will post your notes here in the thread and update the MW--or else indicate that the section is PL OK here in the thread and update the status field in the MW.

Just FYI--I have already PL'ed Section 02 myself, but will have to check on the availability of the reader to make corrections. So there are not any files to be PL'ed at this moment. But they will be arriving soon! Please let me know if you have questions or encounter any problems. We'll get you added as DPL shortly. And thank you again for joining us here on this project! :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
patmorgan235

Post by patmorgan235 »

Hi lubee930

Thanks for offering again to let me DPL. I'm excited to start working with you and the reads working on this project. and thanks for the heads up on section 2 already being PLed (I was about to do that after I posted here) :wink:
Patric Morgan
DPL
ecelm

Post by ecelm »

Hello,

I have uploaded:

Chapter 20 (7min01sec)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_20_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Chapter 21 (22min16secs)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_21_hopkins_128kb.mp3

Chapter 22 (7min29secs)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_22_hopkins_128kb.mp3

If it is okay, I would like to claim the next three chapters - 23, 24, 25.

Thanks,
Emma
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I have uploaded:
Chapter 20 (7min01sec)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_20_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Chapter 21 (22min16secs)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_21_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Chapter 22 (7min29secs)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_22_hopkins_128kb.mp3
If it is okay, I would like to claim the next three chapters - 23, 24, 25.
Thanks,
Emma
Thanks, Emma--and I've put you in the MW for 23-25! :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi again, patmorgan235--

You have been added to the MW as the DPL here, so you should be able to get in to make updates. No big hurry on anything--and do let me know if you have any questions. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia