COMPLETE [GROUP] Elsie's Children by Martha Finley - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GabrielleC
Location: Texas - where the most beautiful multi-function oven is located. :lol:

Post by GabrielleC »

Elsie's Children by Martha Finley (1828 - 1909).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/elsies-children-by-martha-finley/

This book continues the delightful "Elsie Dinsmore" series. Elsie's children, introduced in the previous volume, live life, grow up, and encounter various problems of their own. ( GabrielleC)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14875
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: yjnxbw44
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Martha Finley) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Finley
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
      • Original publication date (if known): 1877
      • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/General; Children's Fiction/Historical; Children's Fiction/Religion; Family Life; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; Historical Fiction; Religious Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Elsie's Children. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Elsie's Children, by Martha Finley. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Elsie's Children, by Martha Finley. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      elsieschildren_##_finley_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. elsieschildren_01_finley_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Martha Finley
      Title: [Section title]
      Album: Elsie's Children

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        http://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw - aradlaw
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by GabrielleC on November 21st, 2013, 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Gabrielle
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I'll set this one up for you Gabrielle.

..all set, your O.P. looks good, let me know if there is anything else you need. We'll hang out here to attract a DPL. :P
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
GabrielleC
Location: Texas - where the most beautiful multi-function oven is located. :lol:

Post by GabrielleC »

Okay, thanks David! I posted in the project for the previous book in the series to try to attract some of them over here, so hopefully we'll end up with a DPL for that as well. :) If not, I can PL a few sections until we get one if we get the readers first. :)
~Gabrielle
ElPiet

Post by ElPiet »

Hey,
I volunteer myself for DPLing this project.
It would be my first DPL experience. Hope that is ok for you.
GabrielleC

Post by GabrielleC »

Hello ElPiet,
Yes, you may DPL the project, as long as the MC agrees. We all have to start somewhere, don't we? :)
I do have a program for you that will help you check the tech specs of the files, it's over here: http://www.cgjennings.ca/checker/#Download - get the latest release. Just to warn you though, it doesn't know about our recent file-name change, so ignore that warning, and if you fiddle around with the settings somewhere (if you need me to tell you let me know, I can find it) you can turn it off. :)
After that, open the file to listen to it (I just go ahead and open it in Audacity) but the main thing is just to be able to hear when the reader slips up, stumbles, repeats themselves, or messes up on the intro/conclusion. :) Again, unless the proof-listening type listed on the first post is Word Perfect or Special, there's no need to have the text right in front of you, though some PLers like it that way. :) All the stuff should be listed on the first post of the thread. Oh, and for the rule of thumb about silence at the beginning/end of the recordings, about 1/2 to 1 second at the beginning, and then if the recording is less than 30 minutes long, 5 seconds at the end. If it's over 30 minutes long, 10 seconds at the end. I'd say that if the end silence is only a couple seconds off, don't worry about it unless there's other things that also need fixing. But tech specs (stuff noted by the checker program) and slip-ups by the reader always need fixing.
So when you listen to it, note what things need fixing, and post them in the forum thread. When it's at a specific place in the recording, note that by minute:second so the reader knows where to listen for the mistake to fix it. :)

I'm pretty sure I had something else to say....but I lost my train of thought. :) I think we're set to go now, though! Let me know if you have any questions. The MC (David) and I will be around to answer any questions anybody might have. :)
~Gabrielle
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Welcome ElPiet :D

Gabrielle covered a lot of ground in her DPL description there. The main thing to ask yourself is "am I being too picky ?" :wink:
And over we go to Readers Wanted:Books.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Gabriella, I could do the (very) short preface, unless you prefer a more Martha Finley sounding reader. :P

*I notice you have Finley Martha in a couple of spots in the OP. :wink:
David Lawrence

GabrielleC

Post by GabrielleC »

Ooops! Off to fix that, I guess. :)

And sure, take the Preface. :)
~Gabrielle
ElPiet

Post by ElPiet »

Hey, thanks for letting me in on that project and for the input on PLing.
I use the checker already together with mp3gain if there is the need for it.
I just havee one question, how can I download the files. So far they were always just streams available.
GabrielleC

Post by GabrielleC »

If you right-click on the link in the MW, choose the option to "Save Link As" or "Save File As" - or something similar, depending on what browser you use. Then you should see the option to download the mp3 file. :) That also works after you open the link in your browser, I believe. :)
~Gabrielle
annadearydo59

Post by annadearydo59 »

May I take the first section?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

David Lawrence

GabrielleC

Post by GabrielleC »

annadearydo59 wrote:May I take the first section?
Yes, you may! Thank you Anna! :D
aradlaw wrote:Here's the Preface Gabrielle.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/elsieschildren_00_finley_128kb.mp3
1:18
Thanks, David! :D
~Gabrielle
annadearydo59

Post by annadearydo59 »

GabrielleC

Post by GabrielleC »

Thank you, Anna! Would you like to claim any more sections? :)
~Gabrielle