COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 18th, 2013, 10:41 pm

Hello,

My name is Emma, and I'm a new reader. I would like to claim Sections 13 and 14, if that is okay. I will likely want to do more, but I'll start with those and see how it goes. I'd like to use my real name (Emma Mercier) for the catalogue, please.

I have a somewhat unpredictable schedule these days, but I will make sure to get the recordings done in a timely manner. I would like to listen to what is done so far before I get started, but I know that there is a warning that too many people listening will mess things up. Is it okay for me to listen, to get a sense of how things are being read so far?

Thanks. I look forward to working with you on this interesting book.

Emma

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 19th, 2013, 4:52 am

MrsHand wrote:Here's the new and improved Chapter 5. Run time roughly the same.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_05_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Kristin. I will have to take a look at it later this evening. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 19th, 2013, 5:07 am

ecelm wrote:Hello,
My name is Emma, and I'm a new reader. I would like to claim Sections 13 and 14, if that is okay. I will likely want to do more, but I'll start with those and see how it goes. I'd like to use my real name (Emma Mercier) for the catalogue, please.
I have a somewhat unpredictable schedule these days, but I will make sure to get the recordings done in a timely manner. I would like to listen to what is done so far before I get started, but I know that there is a warning that too many people listening will mess things up. Is it okay for me to listen, to get a sense of how things are being read so far?
Thanks. I look forward to working with you on this interesting book.
Emma
Hi, Emma--Welcome to LibriVox! :clap:

I have put you in the Magic Window (MW) for Sections 13 and 14--thank you for claiming them! If you click on the link to your name in the MW, you will be able to see your catalog page. It can be useful to track the status of all of the sections that you claim in the future.

And, yes, I believe that you can listen to a portion of the sections already submitted to get an idea about what has been done so far. Sometimes it is helpful to me personally (as a reader striving for consistency) to listen to a snippet of another reader's section just to hear how some proper names or place names have been pronounced in previous sections. I think that the warning is directed to people just browsing the website rather than to a reader with assigned sections.

By the way, we can also link to a blog or to a personal website if you have one--just let me know. Please let us know if you have any questions or run into any problems--we'll be happy to help you. And have fun! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

msfry
Posts: 7147
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » November 19th, 2013, 7:30 am

ecelm wrote: Is it okay for me to listen, to get a sense of how things are being read so far? Emma
Emma,

Rather than opening the file and streaming off the website, I always right click the file and download it to my computer, then listen at my leisure without clogging up the LV server. And yes, I agree, listening to previous sections first is very helpful to get into the swing of the story's plot and familiar with the characters. This isn't necessary when doing collaborative projects where every section stands on its own (short stories, essays, biographies, histories, etc.), but I think it is essential in a novel. (I also scan the chapter ahead of time before committing to record it.)

In my case, since I'm going to listen to the whole book anyway (or I wouldn't be interested in recording parts of it), it's no extra time expended on my part, quite enjoyable, gives me much more confidence during my recording sessions, and makes me feel more like I'm part of a team -- making art!

Welcome to LV, and I hope you have as much fun as I do!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm

lubee930 wrote:
I have put you in the Magic Window (MW) for Sections 13 and 14--thank you for claiming them! If you click on the link to your name in the MW, you will be able to see your catalog page. It can be useful to track the status of all of the sections that you claim in the future.

And, yes, I believe that you can listen to a portion of the sections already submitted to get an idea about what has been done so far. Sometimes it is helpful to me personally (as a reader striving for consistency) to listen to a snippet of another reader's section just to hear how some proper names or place names have been pronounced in previous sections. I think that the warning is directed to people just browsing the website rather than to a reader with assigned sections.

By the way, we can also link to a blog or to a personal website if you have one--just let me know. Please let us know if you have any questions or run into any problems--we'll be happy to help you. And have fun! :)
Thanks very much, Lucretia. :D I will start by listening to what is done so far, and then get started reading.

I don't have a personal website, and my blog is unrelated to reading in any way, so I'd rather not link it. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

Emma

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 19th, 2013, 1:34 pm

msfry wrote: Rather than opening the file and streaming off the website, I always right click the file and download it to my computer, then listen at my leisure without clogging up the LV server. And yes, I agree, listening to previous sections first is very helpful to get into the swing of the story's plot and familiar with the characters. This isn't necessary when doing collaborative projects where every section stands on its own (short stories, essays, biographies, histories, etc.), but I think it is essential in a novel. (I also scan the chapter ahead of time before committing to record it.)
Thanks, Michele. That is a great way to do it. I have downloaded the completed chapters, and am eager to start listening to them.

Emma

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 20th, 2013, 2:38 am

Hello everyone,

I have listened/read up to sections 13 and 14, which I am going to record, and I have a few questions.

First of all, it seems that the name Amelia is used a few times, but then is switched to Aurelia (Madison). Is Amelia a type-o?

The rest of my questions are on accent. Michele posted a helpful list of characters and accents (thank you very much, Michele), but I wanted to check on some others.
msfry wrote: For those who want to dramatize the parts, I've decided to share this list of main characters that first appear in Chapter 9, all with Deep South accents:
Mrs. Bowen is Hagar
General Benson is St. Clair Enson
Chief Henson is Ellis Enson
Major Madison is Walker

Cuthbert Sumner is a wealthy Yankee, with a Harvard education.
Now there is also:
Zenas Bowen from California (By the way, I would pronounce his name, "Zee-nass," but I'd like to know how other readers pronounce it).
Lord and Lady Browning from England
No problem on those, they are clear.

But then we have:
Jewel Bowen - Since she is Zenas Bowen's daughter, I would think that she would have a California accent as well. Arie and Michele, you are working on sections where she talks - what accent have you been giving her?
Aurelia Madison - Since she has been raised by Major Madison, I would think that she would have a Deep South accent. Again, Arie and Michele, what accent have you been giving her?

Section 14 also introduces Mr. Carroll West and Mrs. Brewer, but it doesn't say where they are from. Since they are currently in Washington, would it be okay to give them New England accents?

By the way, in my experience, California and New England accents are very similar to my Kansas accent, so they will all sound similar in my reading. Is that okay?

Emma

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 20th, 2013, 5:15 am

Hi, Emma--

After a cursory look, I think maybe the instances of the name "Amelia" may indeed be a typo and may refer to "Aurelia Madison". I'm not sure that it is necessary that it be corrected in previously submitted sections (Section 09). I think that the reader will understand the reference to the name in the context of the text.

As for all of the accents, I personally would not spend 5 minutes trying to figure it all out if I were a reader for this project--I would just read the text. I tend to have a southern-ish accent (so I've been told and whatever that it is). But you may read the dialogue as you wish. If you want to dramatize the particular voices, go for it. If you want to do a more straightforward rendering, then proceed in that manner. That's the beauty of this volunteer collaborative effort. I think that the listeners will be following the plot of the story--so any variations in accent from reader to reader (especially in a group project) will not be a problem. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

msfry
Posts: 7147
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » November 20th, 2013, 10:27 am

ecelm wrote:Hello everyone,

Now there is also:
Zenas Bowen from California (By the way, I would pronounce his name, "Zee-nass," but I'd like to know how other readers pronounce it).
Lord and Lady Browning from England
No problem on those, they are clear.

But then we have:
Jewel Bowen - Since she is Zenas Bowen's daughter, I would think that she would have a California accent as well. Arie and Michele, you are working on sections where she talks - what accent have you been giving her?
Aurelia Madison - Since she has been raised by Major Madison, I would think that she would have a Deep South accent. Again, Arie and Michele, what accent have you been giving her?

Section 14 also introduces Mr. Carroll West and Mrs. Brewer, but it doesn't say where they are from. Since they are currently in Washington, would it be okay to give them New England accents?

By the way, in my experience, California and New England accents are very similar to my Kansas accent, so they will all sound similar in my reading. Is that okay?

Emma
Zenas, from California, is described as sort of a rough and tumble cowboy/miner made good, brilliant but ill at ease in society. I pronounced his name Zee'-noss, then figured I had made a mistake and redid it as Zee'-nass (rhymes with ass), then decided it didn't matter. HA! He has a minor part anyway.

While Jewel's mother's accent is deep south, and Zenas as above, she was educated in a Canadian convent from a small child, so who knows what her accent is. IMHO, as long as she sounds charming and sweet, it probably doesn't matter.

Aurelia is definitely her father's child, raised among gamblers in the south, and a rough sort of gal. I gave her a southern accent.

The other, lesser characters, I don't think accent matters. I would do them in my own voice, but being that this is a "story of southern caste prejudice", I think a southern accent among the 4 main southern characters is important if the reader can do it.

If not, well, the listener will just have to adjust!

As for me, I like doing this type of research. It enhances MY experience. This, and all my editing pains, I hope helps make up for my lack of professional training as a reader!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 20th, 2013, 12:00 pm

msfry wrote: The other, lesser characters, I don't think accent matters. I would do them in my own voice, but being that this is a "story of southern caste prejudice", I think a southern accent among the 4 main southern characters is important if the reader can do it.
Thanks for the feedback, Michele. It sounds like we're on the same page with who should have what accent.

I will definitely be doing my very best at a Southern accent for all the main characters who come from the south. I make no claims that it will be a good southern accent, :? but I'm pretty sure that it will be recognizably southern, and that's the main goal, I think. :)

Emma

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 20th, 2013, 12:13 pm

lubee930 wrote: After a cursory look, I think maybe the instances of the name "Amelia" may indeed be a typo and may refer to "Aurelia Madison". I'm not sure that it is necessary that it be corrected in previously submitted sections (Section 09). I think that the reader will understand the reference to the name in the context of the text.

As for all of the accents, I personally would not spend 5 minutes trying to figure it all out if I were a reader for this project--I would just read the text. I tend to have a southern-ish accent (so I've been told and whatever that it is). But you may read the dialogue as you wish. If you want to dramatize the particular voices, go for it. If you want to do a more straightforward rendering, then proceed in that manner. That's the beauty of this volunteer collaborative effort. I think that the listeners will be following the plot of the story--so any variations in accent from reader to reader (especially in a group project) will not be a problem. :)
Thanks, Lucretia,

I like attempting accents, so I will see what I can do, but I appreciate the reminder not worry about it - I can be overly perfectionistic, and it's nice to remember to relax a bit. :) I do not have a southern accent at all, but I'll try. :)

I agree about the Amelia/Auralia thing.

(By the way, my childhood neighbour and close friend was named Lucretia, and it has remained one of my favourite names, although I have not met another one since she moved away. I'm happy to finally meet someone with that name. :) )

Emma

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 20th, 2013, 12:34 pm

MrsHand wrote:Here's the new and improved Chapter 5. Run time roughly the same.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_05_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Your edits are all good--thank you very much, Kristin! :thumbs:

Section 05: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

ecelm
Posts: 20
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Post by ecelm » November 22nd, 2013, 1:51 am

Hello,

I have uploaded Chapters 13 and 14.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_13_hopkins_128kb.mp3 (7min22secs)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_14_hopkins_128kb.mp3 (9min52secs)

In Chapter 14, at 7min52secs, I have read "queried" instead of "gueried," because I believe the "g" to be a type-o. I searched the word "gueried" because I hadn't heard of it, and couldn't find any evidence that it is actually a word. If I am wrong, please let me know, and I will go back and fix it.

These are my first recordings ever, so I felt like I was kind of making up the process as I went along. Please let me know what needs to be fixed, and I will get right to it. I ran a relatively low Noise Removal (with Audacity) on both tracks, but if you can still here background noise, let me know.

I had a wonderful time recording them, so if it's okay, I'd like to go ahead and claim chapters 15, 16, and 17, so I can just continue on with the story.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Emma

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 22nd, 2013, 9:17 am

ecelm wrote:Hello,
I have uploaded Chapters 13 and 14.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_13_hopkins_128kb.mp3 (7min22secs)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_14_hopkins_128kb.mp3 (9min52secs)
In Chapter 14, at 7min52secs, I have read "queried" instead of "gueried," because I believe the "g" to be a type-o. I searched the word "gueried" because I hadn't heard of it, and couldn't find any evidence that it is actually a word. If I am wrong, please let me know, and I will go back and fix it.
These are my first recordings ever, so I felt like I was kind of making up the process as I went along. Please let me know what needs to be fixed, and I will get right to it. I ran a relatively low Noise Removal (with Audacity) on both tracks, but if you can still here background noise, let me know.
I had a wonderful time recording them, so if it's okay, I'd like to go ahead and claim chapters 15, 16, and 17, so I can just continue on with the story.
I look forward to your feedback.
Thanks,
Emma

Hi, Emma--I will try to listen to your sections in the next day or so. And you will find that it is not uncommon to encounter typos in these texts. Sometimes the problem is fairly obvious, sometimes it helps to locate another edition of the text online to determine the correct word or phrase. I appreciate that you took the time to investigate.
I have assigned Sections 15,16,and 17 to you--thank you for claiming. :clap: The recording process will become easier as you finish more sections, so hang in there and keep recording! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

lubee930
Posts: 4686
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » November 22nd, 2013, 7:07 pm

Hi, Emma--You did a lovely job on your sections! :clap: Thank you!

Section 13: PL OK
Section 14: PL OK

I will enjoy listening to your next one! For your future sections: Don't forget to leave 5 seconds of silence on the end of the track (10 seconds if the recording is longer than 30 minutes). Good enough on these two sections, though--no need to upload again. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Post Reply