COMPLETE: Deportation:Its Meaning and Menace-Berkman&Goldman

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
krzys

Post by krzys »

Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America by Alexander Berkman (1870-1936) and Emma Goldman (1869 - 1940).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/deportation-its-meaning-and-menace-by-emma-goldman/

A pamphlet written by Alexander Berkman and Emma Goldman shortly before their deportation from the US in 1919. ( Krzysztof Rowiński)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/2917032.0001.001.umich.edu
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Social Science

Keywords that describe the book: anarchism, emma goldman, deportation, radicalism, red scare, alexander berkman, ellis island

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America, by Alexander Berkman and Emma Goldman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America by Alexander Berkman and Emma Goldman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America, by Alexander Berkman and Emma Goldman. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename deportation_##_goldman_berkman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. deportation_01_goldman_berkman_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Alexander Berkman and Emma Goldman
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace. Last Message to the People of America

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by krzys on November 24th, 2013, 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
krzys

Post by krzys »

So, my idea is to record this in 3 sections: "Introduction" (pp. 3-4) "Deportation: Its Meaning and Menace" (5-22) and "What is to be Done?" (23-32).

Also, the Template Generator removed one author in most places (and replaced him with "and others" in the title) - can I fix that manually? Can this be catalogued as having two authors?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

krzys,

Yes and Yes. You can edit your top post to to replace and others with the second author name wherever the template generator took it out. Look for the edit button at the top right of the post. The database entry will have both authors so the catalog page will include both of them.

I can MC this for you.

Edited to Add: MW is added. Also I suggest you shorten the filenames to deportation_##_goldman_berkman_128kb.mp3
Jo
krzys

Post by krzys »

Jo,

Thanks a lot! I changed all the relevant fields and I think we are ready to go :thumbs:

again, thank you for MC-ing.

--K
krzys

Post by krzys »

update: intro and section 1 recorded, need to edit them and will upload later this week.
krzys

Post by krzys »

And here we are:

Introduction: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/deportation_00_goldman_berkman_128kb.mp3
duration: 4:43

Section 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/deportation_01_goldman_berkman_128kb.mp3
duration: 49:09

I will be extremely busy in the coming three weeks, so I guess the last section will come late in December (unless I am fed up with writing papers and record it anyway :wink: )

I'll try to find a DPL soon.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi krzys,

I'd be happy to DPL this one, if I may.

Thanks,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
krzys

Post by krzys »

Sure! Thanks! :)
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi krzys,

Hoping you'd agree for DPL, I PLed Sections 0 & 1. Tech specs are all good! :)

Section 0 is PL OK!

Section 1 PL notes (just one):
1. 36:33 - 36:42: repeat (words in bold red)
… mathematics, or American history. (The latter seems lately to be regarded by the authorities as a particularly dangerous occupation, and those guilty of it a prima facie menace to our American institutions.)

I have enjoyed your narration; looking forward to the rest. :thumbs:

Don

ETA: I took the liberty of adding in the file durations (in the MW notes) as the catalogers will need that info.
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
krzys

Post by krzys »

Thanks Don! :)

I corrected and re-uploaded the file.

Thanks for adding the duration, I am new to LV and it's the first project where I act as BC...
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi krzys,

And Section 1 is PL OK! One thing you'll notice is that as edits are made, the duration of the file may change. Section 1 is now 49:00, but no worries; I updated the MW with the new time.

I've only been here a couple months longer than you, and I'm soloing/BCing my first project also. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help if I can. So will the MCs, admins, and many other LVers. I've found that LVers are a very helpful and friendly group of people! :clap:

Regards,
Don
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi krzys - Still planning to work on this project? It's been almost 6 months since your last post in this thread.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

NO response from the soloist. Moving to abandoned project list.
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Book Suggestions for MrsHand to look at.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Thanks! I can't handle this only having just the one little section left to do - especially now that a copy has been found that is legible.

I'd like to adopt this as a solo please.