COMPLETE[Multi] Multilingual Short Works Collection 011-hok

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hello, Masa,

Yes the title is "Fou ?"
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

- all recordings for this project that have not been PL-ed 4 weeks after the volume is complete will not be included in the volume.
- the readers for these sections will receive a PM about this, and we would like to encourage them to re-submit their recording to the next open volume of this collection (which can be found here: xxxx). This will allow longer time for the recordings to find a PL-er.
This is not the normal LibriVox way.

While we don't allow unasked criticism, we ask that the recording must be understandable for a native speaker. It is not easy for a reader to take that. If the PLer finds a recording not understandable, they should PM the BC and MC of the project, who will ask for a second and third opinion. The MC will contact the reader.

Ideally a recording should be PLed within one or two weeks. The world is not ideal and especially with a multilingual collection it can take much longer. It's always a good idea that the BC helps PLing and it's not necessary to understand the language if the PLer can read the alphabet and reads the text along. That's enough to catch repeats. There is no point in dropping a recording by a native speaker or someone who has already several cataloged recordings in that language just because there is no same language PL.
After all PL is not mandatory. It's good to have but lack of PL should not create months of waiting time.
That's not fair for the speakers of rare language who we really want to have here and support as much as possible and it's not fair for the other readers either.

Asking the reader to resubmit is not the LV way either. When the reader has submitted the recording the rest should be taken care of by the BC until there is something to fix.

Our aim is to record all pd texts. Not more, not less. As much as we all try to produce good recordings and help others as BC, PL or MC to do as best they can, LV would rather have a not so perfect recording in the catalog then lose a reader because of long waiting for PL or on the move from one collection to the next.

Therefore, Masa, as the MC of this project, I'd like to ask you to remove these special rules from the first post.
If you like to discuss this further with the general public, please open a topic in the discussion forum, to keep this working thread tidy. Thank you.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Hokuspokus san,

Thank you for you message.
I quit the BC of this project.
Please accept the BC jog.
If you don't accept the BC, please move this to 'Book Suggestions'.
Somebody might pick up this project.

I again thank you for picking up this project.

Chees,
Masa
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I'm sorry to hear that, Masa. I will take over BCing.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Hokuspokus san,
Hokuspokus wrote:I will take over BCing.
Thank you.

Cheers,
Masa
bricara

Post by bricara »

Hi!

I PLed "Fou?"

Please find below some comments :
- 0,20min, j'entends LIVRIVOX

- 9,18min il manque une phrase entière "J'attendis mon jour et mon heure. Elle passait chaque matin par le même sentier, dans un petit bois de bouleaux qui s'enfonçait vers la forêt."

- 9,43min, texte : comme au bout d'une voûte, prononciation : comme une bout d'une voûte.

Sinon c'est tout bon!

Françoise, could you correct your recording and upload it again?

Tks!
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you for PLing, bricara.

There are so many different pronunciations of Librivox around and there is no "right" one.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hello, Bricara

Thank you for PLing. I'll do the changes asap

Hokus, phonetically the sounds "v" and "b" are very near : each time I record, I have to be careful not to say "livrivox". I'm sorry about that. But from what you say, the "b" being mispronounced may be accepted, provided there is one occurrence ?
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

While I was starting correcting the file, I didn't find the two sentences which you say are missing in the text.
I checked with the mp3 file with the printed text : I didn't find anything. Here is a copy of the passages starting ar 09:18 :

"Chaque matin, dès l'aurore, elle partait au galop par les plaines et les bois ; et chaque fois, elle rentrait alanguie, comme après des frénésies d'amour.
J'avais compris ! j'était jaloux maintenant du cheval nerveux et galopant ; jaloux du vent qui caressait son visage quand elle allait d'une course folle ; jaloux des feuilles qui baisaient, en passant, ses oreilles ; des gouttes de soleil qui lui tombaient sur le front à travers les branches ; jaloux de la selle qui la portait et qu'elle étreignait de sa cuisse.
C'était tout cela qui la faisait heureuse, qui l'exaltait, l'assouvissait, l'épuisait et me la rendait ensuite insensible et presque pâmée.
Je résolus de me venger. Je fus doux et plein d'attentions pour elle. Je lui tendais la main quand elle allait sauter à terre après ses courses effrénées. L'animal furieux ruait vers moi ; elle le flattait sur son cou recourbé, l'embrassait sur ses naseaux frémissants sans essuyer ensuite ses lèvres ; et le parfum de son corps en sueur, comme après la tiédeur du lit, se mêlait sous ma narine à l'odeur âcre et fauve de la bête."

It is very strange. Maybe you downloaded another printed version ? I tried to check with the link in the MW. When I click on the link, I only get an empty MW. This is quite strange, too.
Anyway, I can't do anything. Can you help finding the file with the missing sentences : I would be very happy to fix this.

Françoise

Françoise
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Françoise,

I agree, b and v are very similar and people can here it in many ways all over the place. It's absolutely acceptable.
- 9,18min il manque une phrase entière "J'attendis mon jour et mon heure. Elle passait chaque matin par le même sentier, dans un petit bois de bouleaux qui s'enfonçait vers la forêt."
It seems that this sentence is missing from this source: http://maupassant.free.fr/cadre.php?page=oeuvre
But Gutenberg has it, right after the passage you quoted. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11597/11597-h/11597-h.htm
Je résolus de me venger. Je fus doux et plein d'attentions pour elle. Je lui tendais la main quand elle allait sauter à terre après ses courses effrénées. L'animal furieux ruait vers moi; elle le flattait sur son cou recourbé, l'embrassait sur ses naseaux frémissants sans essuyer ensuite ses lèvres; et le parfum de son corps, en sueur comme après la tiédeur du lit, se mêlait sous ma narine à l'odeur âcre et fauve de la bête.

J'attendis mon jour et mon heure. Elle passait chaque matin par le même sentier, dans un petit bois de bouleaux qui s'enfonçait vers la forêt.

Je sortis avant l'aurore, avec une corde dans la main et mes pistolets cachés sur ma poitrine, comme si j'allais me battre en duel.
That's one reason why Gutenberg is the better source. What to do about it? Could you try and put it in, please? I don't demand it from you, because it can be very difficult to put things in afterwards and sometimes it sounds strange and disturbs more the the original mistake or missing text, but it's Maupassant's words and it would be better to have them all.

About the other passage at 9:43, that is in both texts. The problem is that "au" does sound a bit like "une", but I'm not qualified to judge how big a thing that is. I'd say, like all pronunciation questions it's up to the reader to decide.

Here is the text of this passage:
J'avais l'oreille contre le sol; j'entendis son galop lointain; puis je l'aperçus là-bas, sous les feuilles comme au bout d'une voûte, arrivant à fond de train. Oh! je ne m'étais pas trompé, c'était cela! Elle semblait transportée d'allégresse, le sang aux joues, de la folie dans le regard; et le mouvement précipité de la course faisait vibrer ses nerfs d'une jouissance solitaire et furieuse.
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Hi,

Thank you for the information, Hokupokus. I'll do as you advised me to do. But later in the day, I must go out now.

Cheers,

Françoise
Babylon5

Post by Babylon5 »

Here is the link to the corrected file, with a duration of 11:08 (silence at the end included) :
http://librivox.org/uploads/hokuspokus/msw011_fou_maupassant_fc.mp3
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Merci, Françoise.

Bricara,
would you like to do the spotcheck or shall I?
bricara

Post by bricara »

Hi!

I'll do it this tomorrow!
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Great, thank you!