COMPLETE: Hagar's Daughter by Pauline E. Hopkins - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:I listened to Chapters 1 and 2 last night, trying to catch the style and tempo before recording 3 and 4. Pauline Hopkins is a fine writer! And the reader did a great job! I don't want to commit to too much at once but am really looking forward to participating in this project.
Michele--I am so pleased to hear your comments! I have not listened to Sections 1 & 2 yet, but was hopeful that we would be able to keep them and use them. And I would love to have you take sections here whenever your schedule permits! :clap:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

This looked intriguing when I read about it in the abandoned section. I'd like to take Section 5. Do you want the "To be continued" and the "Chapter V - Continued" read as well?
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

MrsHand wrote:This looked intriguing when I read about it in the abandoned section. I'd like to take Section 5. Do you want the "To be continued" and the "Chapter V - Continued" read as well?

I believe that we should read it as it is written. The second part of Chapter 5 is only about 520 words as I remember, so I didn't see any point in making it a completely separate section. I think that the "To be continued" thing happened because it was first published serially in a monthly magazine.

You are in the MW for Section 05--thank you! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
VanOs12

Post by VanOs12 »

Hello, I'd like to take a stab at section 6 please. :)

Arie
Cheers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

VanOs12 wrote:Hello, I'd like to take a stab at section 6 please. :)
Arie
I've put you in the MW for 06--thank you! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Jo--I have edited the first post to include a warning to potential readers about some of the terminology that they might encounter in parts of the book. If you feel that the wording of the warning could be improved, feel free to change it. Thanks! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have uploaded Chapters 3 and 4.

http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_03_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 17.58, 16.4mb

http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_04_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 18:43, 17.1mb

Might I suggest you add Civil War, Confederacy, and Historical Fiction to your keywords?
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Will try to PL in the next day or so--thank you, Michele! :)
Might I suggest you add Civil War, Confederacy, and Historical Fiction to your keywords?
Excellent suggestion! I had already selected "Historical Fiction" for the genre, so I think that we're good there. But I've added "Civil War" and "Confederacy" as additional key words. Thank you! (Sometimes the most obvious choices escape me. :roll: )
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:I have uploaded Chapters 3 and 4.
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_03_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 17.58, 16.4mb
http://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hagarsdaughter_04_hopkins_128kb.mp3
Run Time: 18:43, 17.1mb
Very nice job on both--thank you, Michele! :)

Section 03: PL OK
Section 04: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd like to claim Chapters 7 and 8.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:I'd like to claim Chapters 7 and 8.
Thank you, Michele--I've put you in the MW for 07 and 08! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote:
msfry wrote:I'm a bit worried that some of the dialect written by the author may scare people away, but we shall see.
I've been reading ahead a little to see what other chapters I might be able to handle accent-wise. Just letting you know, Chapter 9 introduces several characters and doesn't say where they come from -- north, south, California????? Whoever reads it might have to do a bit of digging first.

Chapter 7 is proving quite challenging to read, including singing! I can barely carry a tune! But I've tried, and it's almost done. So far it's a very good book. Reminds me in scope and sweep of Gone With The Wind and I am enjoying it very much.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote:
lubee930 wrote:
msfry wrote:I'm a bit worried that some of the dialect written by the author may scare people away, but we shall see.
I've been reading ahead a little to see what other chapters I might be able to handle accent-wise. Just letting you know, Chapter 9 introduces several characters and doesn't say where they come from -- north, south, California????? Whoever reads it might have to do a bit of digging first.
Chapter 7 is proving quite challenging to read, including singing! I can barely carry a tune! But I've tried, and it's almost done. So far it's a very good book. Reminds me in scope and sweep of Gone With The Wind and I am enjoying it very much.

Very interesting, Michele--I have not been reading ahead, but just enjoying the narrative as I PL. As far as any regional accents, I'm not hugely particular, but instead hold to the "Do the best that you can" philosophy. Since this is a collaborative project, I'm hoping that any listeners will be flexible and understanding as we move from reader to reader. As far as singing--you are much braver than I am. I would not consider singing--not even humming or whistling! :) No hurry on your sections--take your time.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote:Very interesting, Michele--I have not been reading ahead, but just enjoying the narrative as I PL. As far as any regional accents, I'm not hugely particular, but instead hold to the "Do the best that you can" philosophy. Since this is a collaborative project, I'm hoping that any listeners will be flexible and understanding as we move from reader to reader.
Okay, I simply had to know who is who, as all the initial characters seem to disappear at Chapter 9 as we skip 20 years ahead! So I copied the whole book from Chap 9 on into a Word doc, did a Find command for the words Hagar, Ellis, Enson, then Walker, and I suppose it would be well for our readers to know that those same characters are alive and well throughout the book and disguised under other names!

Knowing that, I'd like to claim Chapters 32 - 37 (many are very short), unless you object. The courtroom scene especially resurrects all my favorite characters and will be lots of fun to put together.