COMPLETE: One Act Play Collection 006 - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Section 17 -- the titular Snark in The Hunting of the Snark -- has been orphaned. Two roles available in that one, folks. Anyone interested?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I would be happy to help, only I already read the Baker... But if you think it's OK, I'd take either, or both.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

tovarisch wrote:I would be happy to help, only I already read the Baker... But if you think it's OK, I'd take either, or both.
Truth be told, I know next to nothing about this poem. Do the two characters you'd be playing interact? If not, I'm sure we could work something out. :)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

The Judge and the Snark talk at the same time, but I could take the Butcher if you don't mind me doing two?
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

tovarisch and Kristingj - I'm fine with either of you taking either role. Again, I'm not particularly well versed in this role, but I'm fine with you guys taking any of the roles left. Any ideas on which role should go to which reader?

Edit: Alternatively, I can read one of these roles, although I don't know if my voice would be appropriate for either. I'm amenable to either suggestion.
PROJECTS
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

ChuckW wrote:tovarisch and Kristingj - I'm fine with either of you taking either role. Again, I'm not particularly well versed in this role, but I'm fine with you guys taking any of the roles left. Any ideas on which role should go to which reader?

Edit: Alternatively, I can read one of these roles, although I don't know if my voice would be appropriate for either. I'm amenable to either suggestion.
As I said, the Snark talks at same time as the one part I allready did, so it would probably be best with the Butcher
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

So, I take the Snark, then. Yes? No? If you could update the MW, I'll take my hint from there... :wink:
tovarisch
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Sounds good, guys. Kristin can play The Butcher, tovarisch can play The Snark, and Charlotte will read the narration. And when all of you are done, I'll edit this bad boy together and we'll be very close to finishing this collection.
PROJECTS
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Chuck,

I've taken a closer look at the text, and am afraid some words in Fit the Sixth were marked as Judge's or Barrister's, and instead should be Snark's. I'll read them, and it's up to you to decide how to edit them together. Hints at whose the words are can be found in the text. "GUILTY!", for instance, is preceded by "When it said the word". Methinks "it" refers to the Snark (same as a little before that "Where the Snark. with a glass in its eye," And also, please note that "My poor client's fate" and the preceding words do not belong to "Barrister" (who is asleep at that time) but to the Snark, who is defending a pig in Barrister's dream. The sentence as attributed to Judge should also be the Snark's, since in the text has "Then the Snark pronounce sentence..."

Anyway... Up to you of course.
tovarisch
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

wib66 wrote:Section 58 A voice is PL OK

Here is the edited file for Punch and Go

31:16

http://dev.librivox.org/uploads/gloriana/oneactplays006_punchandgo_galsworthy.mp3

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to do a final PL

Thanks
I listened to Punch and Go. It sounds great!

There are a few places where the Gutenberg OCR hasn't been as faithful to the text as it usually is. I've only noted the ones where I was prompted to check the Archive version (http://archive.org/details/cu31924011510728). You may well decide that you want to ignore all or most of them as in most cases it doesn't really make a difference but I thought I would put them all here to give you the option.

03:00 - "straight of the stage" - Archive says "straight off the stage"
06:19 - according to Archive, the line and stage direction have been switched - should be "(Narrator) The blue suddenly becomes amber. (Vane) My God! (Narrator) The blue returns ... "
07:22 - missing stage direction - "Foreson crosses to the window" - before Vane's line "No, no! by the curtain"
18:49 - "with split sheets of paper" - "with spilt sheets of paper'
21:28 - "an a stilly voice" - according to Archive should be "in a stilly voice"
27:09 - "who as coming down" should be "who is coming down" (it seems that Gutenberg's OCR has a problem with a's!)

Gutenberg also seems to have substituted "kipped" for "hipped" in the Professor's line at 21:50. I'm not sure if that troubles you (I didn't know what either of them meant, so it didn't really bother me very much - I'm still not totally sure what Galsworthy meant by "hipped", if that is indeed what he wrote ...).
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

tovarisch wrote:Chuck,

I've taken a closer look at the text, and am afraid some words in Fit the Sixth were marked as Judge's or Barrister's, and instead should be Snark's. I'll read them, and it's up to you to decide how to edit them together. Hints at whose the words are can be found in the text. "GUILTY!", for instance, is preceded by "When it said the word". Methinks "it" refers to the Snark (same as a little before that "Where the Snark. with a glass in its eye," And also, please note that "My poor client's fate" and the preceding words do not belong to "Barrister" (who is asleep at that time) but to the Snark, who is defending a pig in Barrister's dream. The sentence as attributed to Judge should also be the Snark's, since in the text has "Then the Snark pronounce sentence..."

Anyway... Up to you of course.
Yeah, I suspect you should hedge your bets and record all the lines you think come from The Snark. Sometimes the colorization of these documents get a little screwy. I'll double check while I'm editing. Thanks for pointing this out.
PROJECTS
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Loveday wrote:
03:00 - "straight of the stage" - Archive says "straight off the stage"
06:19 - according to Archive, the line and stage direction have been switched - should be "(Narrator) The blue suddenly becomes amber. (Vane) My God! (Narrator) The blue returns ... "
07:22 - missing stage direction - "Foreson crosses to the window" - before Vane's line "No, no! by the curtain"
18:49 - "with split sheets of paper" - "with spilt sheets of paper'
21:28 - "an a stilly voice" - according to Archive should be "in a stilly voice"
27:09 - "who as coming down" should be "who is coming down" (it seems that Gutenberg's OCR has a problem with a's!)

Gutenberg also seems to have substituted "kipped" for "hipped" in the Professor's line at 21:50. I'm not sure if that troubles you (I didn't know what either of them meant, so it didn't really bother me very much - I'm still not totally sure what Galsworthy meant by "hipped", if that is indeed what he wrote ...).
Hi Loveday
Thanks for the PL of Punch and Go
Luckily all the lines were mine as narrator so I have edited them now and re-uploaded the file below

http://dev.librivox.org/uploads/gloriana/oneactplays006_punchandgo_galsworthy.mp3

Hipped apparently means obsessed or infatuated with something. I have left this line as is but changed all the others. If you are able to spot check it that would be great. Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Loveday wrote:I listened to Punch and Go. It sounds great!

There are a few places where the Gutenberg OCR hasn't been as faithful to the text as it usually is.
"Hipped" could mean "preoccupied", as in "your mind is wondering because you're fixated on <some idea>", or something like that? I'll check the recording tonight and fix it.
tovarisch
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thanks Tovarisch I can then edit that in :9:
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
catrose

Post by catrose »

http://dev.librivox.org/uploads/gloriana/oneactplays006_midsummersdancedream_birdstewart.mp3

:D If I remember rightly, Eden wanted to PL this? If not, if someone could, that'd be great :) 35:06
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!