What would you save first?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

kristin wrote:I always wanted to make one using glass blocks as support.
That should be easy. Glass stones for building glass walls are readily available.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Robert Marquardt wrote:
kristin wrote:I always wanted to make one using glass blocks as support.
That should be easy. Glass stones for building glass walls are readily available.
When I was a kid we had several shelves like this, but my parents made them a bit more posh by having the planks sanded and varnished and by using decorative bricks.
Karen S.
Robert Marquardt

I found this image of a bookshelf today http://www.economads.com/bookshelf.gif
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

We helped a friend build bookcases out of cement blocks and planks several years ago when he was a grad student. He's now a professor in a business department... but he still has - and uses - those bookcases.

-Catharine
fae

Post by fae »

Robert Marquardt wrote:I found this image of a bookshelf today http://www.economads.com/bookshelf.gif
That's really cool!
kri

Post by kri »

Awesome bookcase!

I saw a picture of a bookcase chair, books all around the chair. I also saw a bookcase in the shape of a man, that was quite interesting! None of these were seen in person of course. Ahhh, the wonders of the internet.
Ponyfeathers

Post by Ponyfeathers »

I know the economads! They are nice folks. Fanatics, but very nice. Did they build the bookcase themselves?
Robert Marquardt

The bookshelf is located in Bremen, Germany. I am currently in contact with the owner. I want to print the picture of the bookshelf (i have a hirez pic already) on a CD. I want his consent for that.
asy

Post by asy »

What a cool bookshelf!!!

I hope your pipe problem is fixed now, Rowen!

I'd rescue the laptop, the desktop, then the CAMERAS. They're all relatively fast to move, the books would take FOREVER... :roll:

asy :D
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

asy wrote:What a cool bookshelf!!!

I hope your pipe problem is fixed now, Rowen!

I'd rescue the laptop, the desktop, then the CAMERAS. They're all relatively fast to move, the books would take FOREVER... :roll:

asy :D
Huh? Wasn't me with the pipe problem t'was Kristin.
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
Pam

Post by Pam »

Flooding and busted pipes are a pain, but glad your okay. But what would I save?

The dog

My computer

and my DVDs I guess. Its something I have never thought about before.

Pam
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I've never had any flooding, but I grew up in earthquake country, and I always grab something alive... in the 89 Loma Prieta quake I grabbed the dog; in the 94 Northridge, I grabbed my cousin... literally dragged her out of her bed... with one hand... adrenaline!
Karen S.
fae

Post by fae »

Oh yes I believe it! I've done that sort of thing too. It is not a myth, when the adrenaline hits like that you can lift tons if need be. I stopped a dog twice my size, in full growling-teeth-baring charge that went for my cat once. Tackled him like he was a child running pasted, scooped the dog onto my chest and then flattened him to the floor--and held him there till help arrived! :shock:
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Hmmm...I would definitely save my family, my dog, and my iPod. Beyond that, the competition gets a little murkier. There's a lot of books that I wouldn't want to lose...maybe our home video tapes and a couple of other videos that I really like...

Dunno...it's a hard question... :lol:
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Had a somewhat similar experience a few years back. After a Friday night dinner out with my family after work, we drove up the driveway over a small river issuing from the garage. NOT a good sign! The (thankfully, cold) water hose to the washer in the laundry upstairs had burst. We had a regular waterfall over the side of the second-floor landing, into the den!
:cry:
Our library is adjacent to the laundry, and water was coming in. With the help of a neighbor, I moved six six-foot tall bookcases and their contents into my bedroom. My wife and I lived cheek-by-jowl with our reading for the next five months while the house was repaired. We learned a lesson. The water hoses we use on the washer are armored these days. And, checked regularly. And, turned off if we're leaving for more than a day!

Haven't checked yours lately? GO DO IT!
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings