COMPLETE: Familiar Letters on Chemistry by Justus Liebig

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This project is now complete. You can view the catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/familiar-letters-on-chemistry-by-justus-liebig/

Familiar Letters on Chemistry by Justus Liebig. [Edited by John Gardner].

“The Letters contained in this little Volume embrace some of the most important points of the science of Chemistry, in their application to Natural Philosophy, Physiology, Agriculture, and Commerce. Some of them treat of subjects which have already been, or will hereafter be, more fully discussed in my larger works. They were intended to be mere sketches, and were written for the especial purpose of exciting the attention of governments, and an enlightened public, to the necessity of establishing Schools of Chemistry, and of promoting by every means, the study of a science so intimately connected with the arts, pursuits, and social well-being of modern civilised nations.” –Justus Liebig, August 1843

Representative works in physics and the biological sciences will soon be available in the Librivox catalog as recordings of Einstein’s Relativity and Darwin’s Origin of Species proceed through the proof listening phase, so it seems only fitting that we should get some chemistry in the mix as well! This collection of letters written by German chemist, Justus Liebigs, in the mid 1800’s provides a fascinating look back to the beginnings of modern chemistry.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: March 31, 2007 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4524
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

Edit me
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Section #] of [Familiar Letters on Chemistry]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Familiar Letters on Chemistry, by Justus Leibig. [Letter #]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section #]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Familiar Letters on Chemistry, by Justus Liebig."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    familiarlettersonchemistry_##_liebig.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. familiarlettersonchemistry_01_liebig.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: Section ## - [Letter #] (e.g. “Section 01 – Letter I)
    Artist: Justus Liebig
    Album: Familiar Letters on Chemistry

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available, or send your file using a file transfer service such as YouSendIt or Mediafire and post a link to the file download in the forum.
      Note: We'll be using Anita's server to store the files. If you have FTP capability, you can upload your files directly as follows:
      Use your favorite FTP software to point to:
      ftp.studioae.com
      Login information: username: LibriVox
      password: L1br1V0x.
      Please save your files to the ceastman/ChemLetters folder, and let me know you've done so. For additional information about uploading files, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.

Thanks!
Jo
Last edited by knotyouraveragejo on March 18th, 2007, 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jo
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Ack, I killed it!

I'll MC this project for you... if you'll have me?

I accidentally deleted lotsa stuff that's supposed to be in the top part of the first post. I have put back the template, and filled in the bits that I could reconstruct. I'm so sorry!!!!!! :(

If you'll have me, I'll PM you instructions on how to edit the Magic Window, and I'll find us some server space.

-Catharine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Catharine,

No problem. I have the original post saved in a Word document so I can easily fix it! Glad to have you MC this for me. I already know how to use the "magic window". I have been using Anita's server for my solo project (hint, hint... :) ).

Thanks,
Jo
Jo
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Well, that *is* what I had in mind, yes. :)

I've created a directory called ChemLetters on her server. You can stick directions on how to use it in the first post, plus links to mediafire, yousendit, whatever for people who don't know how to FTP.

Glad you'll put up with me! ;)

-Catharine
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Oh...... I wish I had more time! I would love to read for this. Well, maybe it will last long enough that I actually *will* have a chance to read for it. Won't claim anything for now though. Must wrap up Ulysses sometime this year.
Anita
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

At the rate it is currently going, I think it will be around for a while...

Good luck with Ulysses in the meantime!
Jo
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Being a science person, I too will sign up for a chpater at some point in the future. I'm just a bit overcommitted at the moment...

-Catharine
asy

Post by asy »

May I please have sections 11, 12 and 13?

Thanks!

asy :D
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

May I have letter 14 - NATURE AND EFFECTS OF MANURES?

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

asy - You are signed up for letters 11-13. I see you are relatively new to Librivox - Welcome! If you need any help or advice, please let us know :)

Esther - Letter 14 is all yours! Thanks!

Anita and Catharine - would love to have you both read for this project if you can find the time!

Jo
(as she heads off to lab... :wink: )
Jo
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: (as she heads off to lab... :wink: )
So, distinctly off-topic - what's your area of study?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Well perhaps not too off subject. I'm a medicinal chemist :). How about you?
Jo
asy

Post by asy »

Wow, there are a few sci-ppl here!

I only got as far as first year of AppChem, then I had to go to work.

Not in sci field now, but, still my first love...

asy :D
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Letter 14 on Manure is uploading to the folder on Anita's server. link is:

http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/ChemLetters/familiarlettersonchemistry_14_liebig.mp3

A very interesting pile of crap there. :wink:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Starlite wrote:Letter 14 on Manure is uploading to the folder on Anita's server. link is:

http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/ChemLetters/familiarlettersonchemistry_14_liebig.mp3

A very interesting pile of crap there. :wink:
Thanks for your file and a good chuckle! :lol: I've added a listen link for Letter 14 in the first post.

Jo
Jo