Podcast #134&135 - BEFORE YOU PRESS RECORD: TIPS AND TRICKS

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

As some of you may have read in my recent post in the podcast planning thread, I have an idea for another installment and I would like to host it :)

The idea is BEFFORE YOU PRESS RECORD- TIPS AND TRICKS. As I said in the post I linked above I have an idea to focus on three areas: preparing yourself, adjusting your equippment and preparing your surroundings (see the linked post for my tentative suggestions, but do not hesitate to expand and add your own ideas!) - all that you do and the tips that you think are worth sharing with your fellow LVers.

Image PLEASE CONSIDER CONTRIBUTING if you found something to be especially useful and want to share it
LET'S MAKE THIS A REALLY INSTRUCTIVE ONE SO THAT NOT ONLY CAN WE LEARN SOMETHING FROM EACH OTHER BUT ALSO REFER NEW PEOPLE TO IT.

Deadline for submissions is SEPTEMBER 20

Also, if you have some suggestions as to the proposed structure, post them here.

I hope a member of MC team will loan me a place in their folder ;)

EDIT: CONTRIBUTORS, PLEASE UPLOAD YOU SUBMISSIONS TO RUTHIE'S FOLDER -
  • Upload your file with the new LibriVox Uploader:
    http://dev.librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ruthieg - RuthieG
Last edited by Piotrek81 on November 17th, 2013, 2:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Great idea!

For 3., suggestions:

- switch of any electric appliances like washers, dishwashers, ... , if possible
- search a "dump" room. Hall/Gverb is not what we are looking for at LibriVox, so the local cathedral might be the wrong place to record books ;)

Regarding audacity I think it would be a good idea to cover it in a podcast, too. There are people who do not watch videos but might listen to a podcast. We can mention the videos, also the pages where the information is written.

It would also be great if the GarageBand-people could contribute (also in the wiki). There seem to be folks who work with that tool and we can not really help them.

Maybe we could also demonstrate why hitting the volume range is so important.

Hmm, would that podcast include basic editing, like volume, noise etc?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

moniaqua wrote: Hmm, would that podcast include basic editing, like volume, noise etc?
I thought about focusing on preparations and perhaps leaving the actual Audacity/whatever recording tips for some other time. I guess I'll tweak the title a bit to make this clearer. I'm afraid that if we decide to lump preparations and recording together it will be too long and overburdened with info, especially considering how much Audacity lore there is floating on the forum.

EDIT: I adjusted the title. What do you think? We could leave the sound editing tricks for the next installment.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Piotrek81 wrote: EDIT: I adjusted the title. What do you think? We could leave the sound editing tricks for the next installment.
Yes, that makes it more clear.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I hope a member of MC team will loan me a place in their folder
You are welcome to use mine: ruthieg - RuthieG.

Before you press record: lock the door! :evil: (said with feeling)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thank you. :) I'll amend the opening post accordingly.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I amended the first post by adding the credentials for the new uploader.

Also: here are some suggested topics. As I said elsewhere: feel free to expand on them and add your own ideas.

1. Preparing yourself; e.g the stuff you eat or drink/absolutely don't eat or drink before recording and why, your recommended position during recording, is it better to record at a particular time of day, etc.
2. Preparing your equipment; e.g tips how to effectively adjust your mike, paper stand, etc. pros and cons of printouts versus reading off the screen, etc
3. Preparing your surroundings: how to make the room where you record more reader-friendly (do you invest in special items to achieve that or rely on materials at hand), which things do you think should be turned off to reduce background noise, etc

As to deadline for subissions, let's see how much I can get until three weeks from now, i.e September 4
J_N

Post by J_N »

my only contribution would be: play the violin beforehand, so your cats take refuge in the next room... :lol: or be prepared to edit out a lot of purring, meowing and other cat-related sounds... (like walking over the keyboard :roll:)

[no animals were harmed ;)]
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

<< has two new kittycats arriving tomorrowish. Expect bloopers!

I will record something for the podcast, Piotr, as soon as I have got over the last one ;).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have a deadline, or a target publication date?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Deadline for submissions is September 4, as mentioned in my previous post.* I'll put that info in the opening post.

*If that proves too short, I'll extend it, no worries :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, I feel sheepish. Now you know my reading comprehension skills. :P
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Poitr,

Here's something to get you started. It's my first ever contribution to a podcast, so please be gentle. As other submissions come in, and you start putting pieces together, feel free to clip and snip. I'm also happy to redo any or all of it so that it fits well within the whole that you are creating.

http://dev.librivox.org/uploads/ruthieg/podcast_134_mas.mp3 - 4:18

MaryAnn

Edited to add: Here's what my set up actually looks like: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/mas595/media/LV/podcast_134_maryann_recording_setup_zps18e67b12.jpg.html
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thanks, MaryAnn :)

Do I see well that there's no trace of laptop there? You read from a paper book?

ETA: I've just listened to it. Great and instructive :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Piotr - my laptop is off to the left on a little stand. I print a hard copy of the pages I want to read from the e-text. (All the paper stacked on the left of the mic are books in progress or to be read "next"!) My set up has never been conducive to reading from the laptop screen and I find it annoying to have to scroll down when I am trying to read. Much easier for me to scan the printed page.

MaryAnn