COMPLETE:[FICTION]Les Misérables Vol. 1, by Victor Hugo mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smileyman457

Post by smileyman457 »

Les Misérables, Vol. 1, by Victor Hugo. Translated by Isabel F. Hapgood.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/les-miserables-vol-1-by-victor-hugo/

19 May: Rainbow will take over this project as BC.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project:31 October 2008, but sooner would be nice, so send 'em in ASAP. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/135

I have indicated the word count of each section in the Notes field; forum discussions have shown that people read on average 130-190 words per minute.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! Please only claim one section at a time - you're welcome to another when you've handed in the previous one!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Book [number], Chapter [number] of Les Misérables. Translated by Isabel F. Hapgood. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo. Book [number and title], Chapter [number and title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Book [number], Chapter [number]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this thread for more information.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lesmiserables_vol1_##_hugo.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number (first column in reader list above).
    (e.g. lesmiserables_vol1_01_hugo.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case and use Arabic numbers throughout!

Title: Book ##, ch. ##: [chapter title] (e.g. "Book 01, ch. 01: M. Myriel")
    Artist: Victor Hugo
    Album: Les Miserables (don't use accent over e)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ge - Gesine
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.

A note: for some reason, names of people and places are often replaced with --- in the text. Here is a list of names and places, with their full form listed.

D---: Digne
B----: Brignolles
M-- sur M--: Montreuil-sur-Mer

As more appear, this list shall be updated.
Last edited by smileyman457 on February 24th, 2007, 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.thedailypunctillio.tk

"We're all mad here!"--The Cheshire Cat, [i]Alice in Wonderland[/i]
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

smileyman457 wrote:
A list of chapters will be posted soon; currently, I have only claimed one chapter (the first one). Also, I would like to add that we will NOT use the Project Gutenberg version of the book--we will use an abridged version. This version captures the flair of the book without the fluff of Hugo's original, BEASTLY LONG, version.
Unfortunately, I don't think we can do this. The version that you point to at Amazon is copyright 1982 (though I note it's a reissue of something). We can only do texts that are in the public domain.

# Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
# Publisher: Fawcett; Reissue edition (December 12, 1982)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0449300021
# ISBN-13: 978-0449300022

(Hey Betsie or Annie, double-check this please?)

Sorry! Gutenberg's edition may have to be the one we use.

-Catharine
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes, I also think we can't use the abridged version...

Also, smileyman457, would you please edit your first post and replace it with this template (follow the info on that page): http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ProjectTemplatesForBookCoordinators

Please always use the newest template; we often make little changes to it that reflect our latest findings.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

The biggest problem with using a printed text is that most readers won't be able to get their hands on a copy.

Otherwise, I'm not sure off-hand if abridged versions retain their own copyrights or not.

EDIT: Hmmm... I'm consulting Project Gutenberg's policy on versions here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:No_Sweat_of_the_Brow_Copyright

and think this might fall under "creating a new compilation of existing materials (though the individual items compiled retain their public domain status)" ... for a reason we cannot use the abridged version
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
smileyman457

Post by smileyman457 »

ceastman wrote:
smileyman457 wrote:
A list of chapters will be posted soon; currently, I have only claimed one chapter (the first one). Also, I would like to add that we will NOT use the Project Gutenberg version of the book--we will use an abridged version. This version captures the flair of the book without the fluff of Hugo's original, BEASTLY LONG, version.
Unfortunately, I don't think we can do this. The version that you point to at Amazon is copyright 1982 (though I note it's a reissue of something). We can only do texts that are in the public domain.

# Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
# Publisher: Fawcett; Reissue edition (December 12, 1982)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0449300021
# ISBN-13: 978-0449300022

(Hey Betsie or Annie, double-check this please?)

Sorry! Gutenberg's edition may have to be the one we use.

-Catharine
Well, the 1982 edition is a reissue of the 1800s translation, so it is out of copyright. I have the book, and it says only the cover is copyrighted. But if the Gutenberg would be easier for eveyone, we could use that one.

Yeah, we might as well. Okay, scratch what I've said--Gutenberg it is!

Sorry for my 'newbie-ness'--I'm trying as best as I can!

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

smileyman457, you're doing a great job! ... don't worry about the online version being too long, some projects naturually take longer than others, but they are well worth the wait and hard work =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
smileyman457

Post by smileyman457 »

Yea!

Wow, you're all so nice! This is the nicest forum I think I've ever visited!

So...sign up! Sign up! Sign up!

Gesine

Post by Gesine »

smileyman457 - I'll MC this for you. Suggest we split this project into the five volumes and do them one after the other - will be much less confusing all around.

I'm going to change the first post a little (the ID3 tags etc) and will put the reader list in your first post, so bear with me for a little while, ok?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
smileyman457

Post by smileyman457 »

Magnificent. Perfect. Thank you so much. Doing each volume by itself would be a better idea.

Thank you! Also, I'll do chapter one, FYI.

Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi Ryan - please let me know under which name/pseudonym you'd like to appear in the catalogue. Would you like me to link to a URL?

I've now added this project to our system and it you'll see it features the new-style reader list in the first post. I'm sending you a PM on how to access and manage this list - it's much simpler than editing BBCode! :)

Do you have server space?
smileyman457

Post by smileyman457 »

Question 1: Just list me as 'Ryan T.'
Question 2: The URL is: thedailypunctillio.tk

Thank you so much! This is very exciting!

~~Ryan T. :)

Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thank you, Ryan. You're now in the system, so you won't need to give this info again. :)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

May I please have Book 1, chapter 14 (What He Thought)?
Last edited by Bookworm on February 4th, 2007, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Bookworm]My Wiki Page[/url]
[img]http://services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/ATiRvGvUu9XAqsH9wTSeVuc%3D/yWAgfXI%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png[/img]
peastman

Post by peastman »

Ooo! I want to do a section! But I already have enough projects to keep me busy for many months. But I really want to contribute. But... but... but...

Sigh. I'll be sensible for the moment and not take on any more projects. Fortunately, I expect this book to be in progress for a long time to come, so I should have plenty of opportunities for reading some of the cooler sections.

Peter
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

peastman wrote: Fortunately, I expect this book to be in progress for a long time to come, so I should have plenty of opportunities for reading some of the cooler sections.
Yes, this is the first of five volumes! :-)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Bookworm]My Wiki Page[/url]
[img]http://services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/ATiRvGvUu9XAqsH9wTSeVuc%3D/yWAgfXI%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png[/img]