Audiobook Genre

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but..

I have a "Audiobooks" grouping in itunes, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to make my LibriVox audiobooks go into that group! It is frustrating to no end, and while it's not completely necessary I'd like to do it for the sake of organization. Any ideas?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
fae

Post by fae »

That would be because the Audio Book catagory in iTunes is for files ending in .m4b.

That's the designation for audiobooks that have been chapters and allows images to come into an iPod with the book. It's pretty cool, I have a few books like that including the Song of Ice and Fire series. :)
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

But there's nothing to stop you from making a new folder and importing it into your mp3 player of course. iTunes is difficult to organize sometimes. . .

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Only difficult because there are so many options. (And its conversions to MP3 leace much to be desired --their volume is always much lower than the original.)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Select the files you want to be audiobooks, then right-click and choose "Convert to AAC," which converts the files to .m4a and saves them in the iTunes music folder. Exit iTunes, and find where it stored the .m4a files. Rename the extension from .m4a to .m4b, and then re-open iTunes. Drag them into the Audiobooks space and enjoy!
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Jazbees wrote:Select the files you want to be audiobooks, then right-click and choose "Convert to AAC," which converts the files to .m4a and saves them in the iTunes music folder. Exit iTunes, and find where it stored the .m4a files. Rename the extension from .m4a to .m4b, and then re-open iTunes. Drag them into the Audiobooks space and enjoy!
Thank you Justin, you're cool. :) My father and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey thanks, Justin! I have a friend who's been wanting to do this. I'll email her your quick-n-easy instructions :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

...and saves them in the iTunes music folder. Exit iTunes, and find where it stored the .m4a files.
I'm probably the last person to find this feature, but in case someone else hasn't... in order to get easy access to your file, highlight it in iTunes, then click File > Show in Finder (this is on the Mac). I use this to drag files to the desktop, without having to dig down into the bowels of my iTunes library folder.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Gesine wrote:
...and saves them in the iTunes music folder. Exit iTunes, and find where it stored the .m4a files.
I'm probably the last person to find this feature, but in case someone else hasn't... in order to get easy access to your file, highlight it in iTunes, then click File > Show in Finder (this is on the Mac). I use this to drag files to the desktop, without having to dig down into the bowels of my iTunes library folder.
Gesine,

As a Mac user, I hate to let people know I also know how to do this in the Windows version: Go to the File pull down menu and go down to select Show Song File. (But then the Mac folks DID come up with iTunes, yes?)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]