Mic hiss

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi all

Have just 'upgraded' from a digital mic on my SKYPE headset to a Samson Q1U, as recommended in the LV hardware Wiki.

Whereas the digital mic was pretty much completely silent at LV recording levels (42dB), the Samson has audible hiss which fails the checker (50dB) and therefore requires a noise reduction step.

This doesn't feel like an upgrade to me, as it adds steps to the process and the noise reduction inevitably affects the voice recording. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this just a fact of life because the Samson is an analogue mic, and a tradeoff you make in exchange for better frequency response?

PS I'm using the Samson on a boom stand and with a plosive screen, and talking straight into it from about 9in away.

Thanks, Chris.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Mabe post a sample , so people can work out what it is - some thiings are easy to remove or fix ?
Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ths Samson Q1U isn't an analogue mic, actually. But I used one for some time, and it definitely has a hiss.

Was your test recording done on the Skype mic, or the Samson? I can see and hear electrical mains hum on it. If it wasn't the Samson, would you do another, please, so that I can take a look and see what needs to be done? It is highly likely that you will need some noise reduction - I have a Yeti, and it is a wonderful mic, but I still wouldn't get away without some noise cleaning, simply because my supposedly silent computer still makes a hum. However, my little noise-cleaning regime is second nature to me now, and takes very little time or effort.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi Ruth/Anne

Here are 2 tests I've just done with the Q1U: raw, and with one pass NR with the default settings:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/samson_4_raw.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/samson_4_nr.mp3

Thanks, Chris.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi Chris,

Ahead of Ruth's or Anne's reply I took the liberty of trying to clean up your raw recording. The result is here. Two passes with {12/0.00/150/0.00}. Also, make sure to "Get Noise Profile" before each pass (could it be you have forgotten that step?)

Sounds OK to me... 8-)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've got a Q1R and use it as my main mic. I do one pass of NR at 12 dB reduction as default. I rarely have to do more than that.

I think your noise-cleaned sample is plenty clean. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I think 12 dB noise reduction is OK - it leaves all but the very lowest noise frequencies at -80dB, and that sounds OK. Not sure what the default settings are for Noise Reduction these days, but if the Sensitivity setting is at 0 dB, I'd increase it to 4 dB.

Or... use settings of 8dB and 2dB for noise reduction and sensitivity respectively, and run it twice. I think that is what I would do if it were mine. It leaves your voice untouched, and sounds quite nice and warm.

Ask three people, and you will get three different answers, of course :roll:.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thanks all

Well sounds like the answer is that I should expect to have to do a NR pass, which is fair enough.

Will try the various suggestions and pick one

Cheers, Chris