[COMPLETE] Paul Morphy the Chess Champion by F. Edge - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
justbob

Post by justbob »

The Exploits and Triumphs, in Europe, of Paul Morphy, the Chess Champion, by Frederick Milnes Edge (N/A - N/A) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/paul-morphy-the-chess-champion-by-frederick-milnes-edge/

This is an abandoned Solo, resurrected as a group project.
A look at the travels and matches in Europe of the 19th century by the American Paul Morphy written by his traveling secretary is provided in this intriguing biography. The New Orleans native Morphy astounded all with his dominant play against all and amazed the crowds with his simultaneous blindfold exhibitions. The work includes many stories of the personalities and chess greats that attended the 19th century chess clubs of London and Paris. Also included are a series of interesting correspondences detailing the avoidance of British Champion Howard Staunton to Morphy's match requests. (Summary by Bob Rotruck)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34180
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Exploits and Triumphs, in Europe, of Paul Morphy, the Chess Champion. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Exploits and Triumphs, in Europe, of Paul Morphy, the Chess Champion, , by Frederick Milnes Edge . [Chapter][number][part number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Exploits and Triumphs, in Europe, of Paul Morphy, the Chess Champion, , by Frederick Milnes Edge . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  8. Example filename
    morphychesschampion_##_edge_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. morphychesschampion_01_edge_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle - Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
justbob

Post by justbob »

Hello, I have recorded most of this book already and all seems to be going fine. A completed product should not be long away. Still doing some editing and fine-tuning. Will get a couple of chapters up there in short order once I get the go-ahead.

I'm sure I will still have some questions along the way but I've read up around here and think I have an okay hold of most of it.

Thanks.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
Can I suggest you upload a 1 minute sample as a test file in listeners wanted , just to be sure you have the technical bits right ? It would be easier than having to fix all the files if we couldn't use them as you have them. Instructions about uploading tests are in the wiki

Anne
justbob

Post by justbob »

Indeed. Good idea.

I posted the test here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46704&p=885531#p885531
justbob

Post by justbob »

My 1-minute test over there was approved by Tricia so ready to move forward with the next steps. Thanks.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi JustBob and welcome to LibriVox. I will MC this for you. Would you mind reading from the Gutenberg text and using that as the source? It is probably exactly the same but I would feel more confident that it is PD coming from there.

More later. And ask if anything is unclear. :D
EDIT: You seem to indeed have a good grasp of how we do things here and that is great but I'd like you to watch this little video to cover the smaller things you will need to do as a soloist. Doing Your First Solo.

Looks like a fascinating project.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will make the Magic Window with 10 sections as you have indicated but I see that the book has 17 chapters. If you want to increase this number let me know.

EDIT: I have added a tilde ~ to the title. This advertises that we want a DPL. Normally the Book Coordinator does this as you will see from the video. If someone does volunteer, they will post in the project thread and you will coordinate with them on any special proof listening you desire.
justbob

Post by justbob »

Thanks.

I'm estimating 10 sections. The chapter length is inconsistent. One chapter will be 30 pages and the next chapter 4 pages. So some of the chapters will be combined into the same section and my goal is to keep the length of the sections somewhat uniform around 40 minutes. I may indeed require more than the 10 sections though. We'll see.

I have indeed been reading from the gutenberg text...ipads are awesome!

Yes, a DPL would be fine. Thought that was automatic for some reason. Thanks for arranging that. Thanks as well for the video link to straighten me out regarding such aspects.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Great. I will change the link to the Gutenberg text.

Concerning section length, they cannot be over a certain length, about 70 minutes. A project is broken into 'sections' within which can be multiple chapters of a book. You should name the sections so that the appropriate chapters are indicated and listeners will know what chapters are included; for example, "01 - Chapters 1 through 5."

The decision is yours of course, but I would probably stick with making each chapter a section for ease of numbering and stuff especially if the author has named each chapter. But that is just me. Let me know your thoughts on this.

I will leave this in the launch pad for a few days to see if we can snag a DPL.
justbob

Post by justbob »

Each chapter does have a name. But it feels strange to me to have one section that is 40 minutes and another section that is 4 minutes....which is what would happen if I did each chapter in its own section. That's why I thought that combining the shorter chapters would work better.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

justbob wrote:Each chapter does have a name. But it feels strange to me to have one section that is 40 minutes and another section that is 4 minutes....which is what would happen if I did each chapter in its own section. That's why I thought that combining the shorter chapters would work better.
It is your choice of course since this is your project. and you have probably already recorded and edited them that way of course. Have fun. ! I am here to support you. :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'll consider myself snagged.
I'd love to be DPL for this book. Fascinating story.

Larry Wilson (silverquill)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
justbob

Post by justbob »

Cool. Thanks to both of you.

have read all of it. Just need to get around to editing and including the intro for each section and all the formal stuff. Should hopefully get the first few sections up there in next couple days.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

silverquill wrote:I'll consider myself snagged.
I'd love to be DPL for this book. Fascinating story.

Larry Wilson (silverquill)
That is great Silverquill. I see that justbob has already said 'cool' so I will take that as an affirmative and put you in as DPL. Have you been a DPL before? If not I will need to send you a secret password to get into the magic window. let me know. :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Right, Phil. This will be my first DPL gig. Such and interesting book, too!

Thanks for the great videos, too! I've watched quite a few of them, and continue to refer to them.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry