Opening Files in New Windows

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
wolvrin

Post by wolvrin »

Hi - small suggestion: when clicking on a link within the catalog page for a title (the Wikipedia entry for the author, for instance), it would be good if the link opened in a new window. This way, the user will remain on the LibriVox web site and does not inadvertently navigate away.

Thoughts?
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

That's easy to do. You just but a TARGET="_BLANK" statement within the <a href> tag. I do it with a lot of sites
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

I think perhaps we shouldn't do this, or only do it for links pointing outside librivox. It's very easy to open a link in a new window with your browser if you'd like, but if you want it to open it in the same window and a target is set to open it in a new window...Well you've got no choice but to have a new window opened. I prefer to have a choice in the matter, mostly because I don't open new windows I open new tabs in Firefox.

If there's a link, and you want to open it in a new window, just right click and click "Open in new window"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hm...You ask me, I wouldn?t like that so much.
I go with Kri.

Its up to you with your browser to decide how a link opens, not the sites owner.
My opinion to this is, that VERY SELDOM a site warrants a pop-up.

You can always centerbutton-click a link with opera, to open it in a new window, or in IE its a rightclick and then "open in new window". Easy.

Not to mention Mouse gestures... 8)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
harvpa

Post by harvpa »

Or CTRL-click in Firefox and IE to open a new tab/window...

There is also a setting in Firefox as to whether you want new windows to open a new tab or a new window...

Unfortunately the reason behind the request isn't fixed with this knowledge.

It would be nice for external links to open in a new window/tab so that people's window with Librivox up stays up until they close it or type a different address in the address bar.
Paul....
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

harvpa wrote:It would be nice for external links to open in a new window/tab so that people's window with Librivox up stays up until they close it or type a different address in the address bar.
That's easily done in the coding of the LibriVox page. All you need to do is to slip the following snippet into the A HREF statement, just after the link itself but before the closing >

TARGET="_BLANK"

Then everyone will have the link open in a fresh window, regardless of the browser they're using.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

at this point, it's not really an issue of how to do it... it's more of whether we want to do it right now (or ever)... we'll keep it in mind as we continue to develop the catalog pages.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

And I'll toss in my (however small, but emphatic) vote against having links open in new windows.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

yes, Kri, we'll keep that in mind too =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

popups are rude.

(i kow, i know, i shut up too now)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]