[COMPLETE] The Iliad - Trans into English Blank Verse - law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Oh yes, and the file names need to have the section number, not the book and part (not that this is spelled out anywhere so that you would have known :)). So they should be iliad_02_homer and iliad_03_homer. I will go change these now; just be aware of it for your next file, which will be 04. And thank you for splitting the file!

I have posted an ad for a PL'er here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45919
Laurie Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Can PL section 00-04, please? :)
Kathrine
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Whoops!!! Thank you. haha. I will call the next section, section 4! :D
Michael
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

hehe, I am known to have problems with the numbers between 1 and 10... :)
Kathrine
francesb

Post by francesb »

I can PL for the Preface if you need it done!
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'm sorry, francesb; kathrinee posted just above to claim that section for PL'ing. Assuming that is OK with Mike, I'll mark the ad Listeners Found now!
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Here's Book 4

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/iliad_04_homer.mp3
42:26

Thanks you. Yes, it is ok with me. LOL
Michael
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

PL notes section 00:
00:00 - it seems to me that you are reading the intro disclaimer that is optional for the second and subsequent sections. At the very beginning it should be (I think) 'Preface of The Iliad (etc)'
05:41 - there is a very slight repeat 'wi-with'
Some places, for instance 03:24 I can hear .. well, I don't know what, exactly, but I think it has to do with breath and microphone. I don't know if it is easy to edit out, or if there is an easy thing one can do to prevent it happening in later recordings (it is not very annoying, but you read so nicely!). :)

Regards Kathrine
Kathrine
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

Thank you so much for your feedback. YES! LOL, I think I know what the problem is at 3:24 and other places. I looked at the wav file. It has to do with Audacity's Noise Reduction. I'm pretty sure it has a noise gate that cuts off part of my inhalation sound. Sometimes, and I hate this, it leaves this underwater sound like bubbles and makes my voice sound really processed. I was using Sound Forge but it just left more bubble sounds. It really comes out when I use the "leveler" on Audacity. I looked at other spots where there are HUGE, loud cases of that bubble sound. that caused the one like in 3:24. All during breath sounds and pauses.

I'll edit them out and fix those things and resend it. :)

- Mike
Last edited by marmenta on April 19th, 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

And thank you so much for that compliment!! I really encourages me!
Michael
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I was very concerned about the sound quality of the audio I uploaded. I re EQd them and re-uploaded them. I made sure all the times were correct in the MW. Unfortunately those weird bubble sounds appear all over the place. Especially in Book 1 and Book 2 part 2 sounds bad. I have the raw unedited audio still and I can just re-edit it. I don't know what to do about this problem. I did not have the Levelator program then, but it seems to work really well. I'm editing Book 4 right now.
Last edited by marmenta on April 20th, 2013, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I am downloading Book 2 Part 2 to have a look/listen. I'll consult the tech gurus if I can't tell what the problem is.

What kind of mic and which version of Audacity are you using?
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

OK, I am hearing what you mean -- could you kindly export your raw file into an mp3 and upload it for me to check?

If you are using the older alpha version of Audacity (1.2 something), its noise cleaning function produces a sound like that. We used to tell people to always download the beta (1.3) because the NC was so much better. They're up to version 2.0 now and I think that one is fine. If you are already using Audacity 1.3 or 2.0, then this sounds like over-processing and I would be interested to hear how noisy your raw one really is; you might be able to get away with doing much less. Your new file 00 has some voice distortion too.

p.s. Please leave only 0.5 seconds silence at the beginning. :) (The end silence is because some players cut off the ends of recordings, but this isn't a problem at the beginning and we don't want listeners to have to wait through too long a pause.)
Laurie Anne
marmenta

Post by marmenta »

I'm using Audacity 1.2 exactly. I think I over processed it trying to fix it. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I plan on using the Levelator from now on. When I used Sound Forge to level, it made it sound that I was a micromillimeter away from the mic. Yes, Book 1 sounds distorted. Maybe I should use something else other than Sound Forge. I think I over processed it trying to fix it.

Book 2 part 2 is especially bad, but Book 1 seems worse than that.

Yes, I'll send you that right now. Do you want me to put it under "test"?
Michael