submiting a librivox article to slashdot.org.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?

Post by guest »

slashdot.org is a huge tech geek site that will accept tech news that is sent to them by their readers. all that is required to submit an article is to fill out a simple form. sladhot, from is amazingly popular and gets many stories submited each day.

targeting the tech crowd seems perfect for the growth of librivox.

The reason I am sugesting that Hugh gives it a try is because they ask for contact information. Although I could submit an article on librivox to them myself it would probably be better if hugh himself did it.
vee

Post by vee »

Of course we'll end up with the slashdot effect :) Site might go down with the amount of traffic we'll get.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

tried a while ago - to no effect. but tshirt is making a very cool little tool. eventually it will be a recording software, but he's planning (i think) to start by making just an audioplayer, that scrolls text while it plays.

our first job as users, would be to tag text to the audio ... so that the text & audio will go with each other.

he tells me prototype of that is not far - when we get there we should post to slashdot. and suffer the consequences. ;)
kayray

Post by kayray »

If/when you DO post to slashdot, drop Dan an email first and he'll make sure we don't use all our bandwidth ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kri

Post by kri »

This seems kind of funny...but..it may be a good idea. Perhaps if you do post to slashdot, make an announcement to the community so we can avoid Librivox for a day. Perhaps a day break from the forum/site wouldn't be such a bad thing? People could download the audio books they want for the next day beforehand. I know this would only help out for one day. It's a crazy idea I know..
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

kri are you suggesting we need to have librivox "interventions"? to have librivox-free days when we shut down the servers, and let ourselves actually peer outside into the actual world??
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My server got /.ed last year. That was "fun" but we coped OK. I even had time to make a movie about it. http://www.mediatinker.com/blog/archives/008810.html

Anyway, if LibriVox gets slammed by /. or any other spike in traffic, Dan is welcome to get in touch with me and we can help offload some of the traffic.
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kristen wrote: Anyway, if LibriVox gets slammed by /. or any other spike in traffic, Dan is welcome to get in touch with me and we can help offload some of the traffic.
I glanced at that and thought it said "we can help offend some of the traffic" .... i'm sure we could easily work up a team to offend our traffic ;)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

heh heh nice vid. glad we have a pro on board!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

hugh wrote:to have librivox-free days when we shut down the servers, and let ourselves actually peer outside into the actual world??
Oh stop that foolishness, hugh! Everyone knows that there's no "actual world" out there - that's just a silly urban legend. Go check it out at Snopes.com before you spread that sort of thing around... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

hugh wrote:kri are you suggesting we need to have librivox "interventions"? to have librivox-free days when we shut down the servers, and let ourselves actually peer outside into the actual world??
I'm getting dangerously close to that territory, and I'm even volunteering to do MORE to help!! It's time we admitt to the addicting nature of Librivox...

Perhaps we need to start another project of a 12 step program to ween yourself off Librivox for those over-addicted...