Concrete Recording Room

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Hey everyone,

Well, its just about farming season here in Nebraska so my husband will finally be out of my way to record. Unfortunately our computers are both in a large, unfinished basement downstairs. The drywall is in, so we have walls to dampen some sound, but its just a concrete floor and no ceiling right now. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for dampening the echo do there, or how to edit that in Audacity. Its part of a downstairs living room, so unfortunately I can only blanket so much of the floor :D.

I could possible elongate my mic cord long enough to go into a smaller room and lay blankets on the floor in there, but then I couldnt see my computer screen while I was recording (eek!). So its definitely a trade-off.

So suggestions? I would hate to have to wait until next year when the basement is -hopefully- finished to begin recording again!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Oh my, that could work. I usually record standing but I could find something to put it on. I may have to make a trip to hardware store tonight to see what I can rig.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

With no ceiling, you may be able to hang a couple of blankets to 'surround' your stand up recording space.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Or switch to a portable recorder if you aren't attached to your mic (so to speak :)) -- then you could record anywhere. I use the Zoom H2; others have been discussed on the forum somewhere.

I have had the problem of echo in a mostly empty room before too. I never entirely got rid of it until we furnished the room, but I am wondering if the lack of a ceiling might actually be in your favor -- assuming that you have floor joists or something else that isn't completely flat over your head. I think since you record standing up, David's idea of hanging blankets is the same thing I'd suggest.
Laurie Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

It is floor joints, its not flat. You are right that will probably help. I hadnt even thought of that. I think that I will try and create that micbox with styrofoam and maybe head to goodwill to purchase cheap blankets that I can staple to the ceiling. My husband will probably think that I'm trying to make a blanket fort for the dogs and I :D
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

jollyrogered wrote:I think that I will try and create that micbox with styrofoam
Not styrofoam :shock: . Styrofoam is too rigid to serve as decent sound absorption material. Use open cell elastic polyurethane convoluted foam (similar stuff they use for packaging electronics or for mattresses and pillows).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Haha sorry. I knew what foam to use, just called it styrofoam. I would never use that, oh it woudl be sooo squeeky. ick.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I have wood floors and therefore a very echo-ey house everywhere. I record in the dining room, with a fleece thrown on as a table cloth, throw rugs on the floor and a couple of pieces of fleece hung on the walls. [Bought with a half off coupon at the fabric store!] It warms up the sound of the room.

MaryAnn