[COMPLETE]The Mermaid by Lily Dougall - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

The Mermaid by Lily Dougall (1858 - 1923) .

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-mermaid-by-lily-dougall/
"'What a fool I was not to go where she beckoned!' mused Caius. 'Where? Anywhere into the heart of the ocean, out of this dull, sordid life into the land of dreams.'
For it must all have been a dream—a sweet, fantastic dream, imposed upon his senses by some influence, outward or inward; but it seemed to him that at the hour when he seemed to see the maid it might have been given him to enter the world of dreams, and go on in some existence which was a truer reality than the one in which he now was. In a deliberate way he thought that perhaps, if the truth were known, he, Dr. Caius Simpson, was going a little mad; but as he sat by the softly lapping sea he did not regret this madness: what he did regret was that he must go home… " (Summary by L. Dougall, excerpt from the text)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20054
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fantasy, romance

Keywords that describe the book:
    love story, mermaids, canada
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Book [number], Chapter [number] of The Mermaid. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Mermaid, by Lily Dougall . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mermaid, by Lily Dougall . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    mermaid_##_dougall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. mermaid_01_dougall_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: L. Dougall
    Album: The Mermaid

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ElleyKat on July 16th, 2013, 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can't MC this I have too many others and 2 in the wings but we do not normally do one book of a 3 book novel when the total of the 3 is only about 7 hours reading, and a summary for a group project really does help you get readers :D unless it is a very well known book.

Anne
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hi Elley, I will MC this for you. As Anne said, please do come up with a better summary.

Also, are you going to be the proof listener or do we need to find one?
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Can we leave it for a few days to see if someone volunteers to DPL, otherwise I will? And I'll get a better summary written by tonight - unable to find anything at all online so I'm going to have to give the book a quick read and come up with a summary myself, I guess. :) Thanks!
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

What should the chapter format be for this, considering it's divided into 3 books?

01 - Ch 1 Bk 1 - THE BENT TWIG
02 - Ch 2 Bk 1 - THE SAD-EYED CHILD
etc?

Or leave off the chapter titles and do 01 - Chapter 1 Book 1, etc?

Please advise and I'll get the MW populated. :) Thanks!
~Elley

ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Updated the summary and sections in the MW. Let me know if I need to change the sections titles at all... Chose the formatting that seemed to make the most sense to me. :) Thanks.
~Elley

KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

I'm sorry. I was getting ready to respond earlier and got yanked away from my computer (I am at work). It would probably be better to make it 01 - Book 1, Chapter 1 - The Bent Twig, etc. Also, please put a space on both sides of the hyphen marks as it works better when I go to catalog the project.
Barry
My Recordings
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Okee doke. A little copy/paste magic and - hey presto! - MW updated. :)
~Elley

KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

:clap:
Barry
My Recordings
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

I am quick like bunny!! ;) Do we get to move into Readers Wanted soon? :D
~Elley

catrose

Post by catrose »

Need a DPL? :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

catrose wrote:Need a DPL? :)
Yes, would LOVE if you would DPL. :) Thanks! :clap: Is that something I add to the MW, or does the MC do that?
~Elley

KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

I do that; and then we are off to Readers Wanted. :D
Barry
My Recordings
catrose

Post by catrose »

ElleyKat wrote:
catrose wrote:Need a DPL? :)
Yes, would LOVE if you would DPL. :) Thanks! :clap: Is that something I add to the MW, or does the MC do that?
Nope, Barry will do that! :) (And he'll move us to Readers Wanted in a bit. I assume you were waiting to snag a DPL and a few readers!)

Hi Barry! :D

ETA: Spoke too soon!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

No such thing as "too soon." :P I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to checking email, so I always love a nice quick repky. :)
~Elley