COMPLETE The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hning

Post by Hning »

The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1821 - 1881) . Translated by Eva M. Martin (1883 - ?).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-idiot-part-03-and-04-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/

The extraordinary child-adult Prince Myshkin, confined for several years in a Swiss sanatorium suffering from severe epilepsy, returns to Russia to claim his inheritance and to find a place in healthy human society. The teeming St Petersburg community he enters is far from receptive to an innocent like himself, despite some early successes and relentless pursuit by grotesque fortune-hunters. His naive gaucheries give rise to extreme reactions among his new acquaintance, ranging from anguished protectiveness to mockery and contempt. But even before reaching the city, during the memorable train journey that opens the novel, he has encountered the demonic Rogozhin, the son of a wealthy merchant – who is in thrall to the equally doomed Nastasia Filippovna: beautiful, capricious and destructively neurotic, she joins with the two weirdly contrasted men in a spiraling dance of death… (Summary by Martin Geeson)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Dec-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2638
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fiction, literature

Keywords that describe the book:
    Russian Literature, naivety, romance, Dostoyevsky
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) , by Fyodor Dostoyevsky . Translated by Eva M. Martin [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) by Fyodor Dostoyevsky . Translated by Eva M. Martin This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Idiot (Part 03 and 04) , by Fyodor Dostoyevsky . Translated by Eva M. Martin "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    idiot(part03and04)_##_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. idiot(part03and04)_01_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Album: The Idiot (Part 03 and 04)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

MW all set up, Alia. :D
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
Hning

Post by Hning »

ヾ(゚∀゚)ノ
Thank you, Barry!
وسّع قلبك حبة، شغّل عقلك حبتين
Hning

Post by Hning »

I feel like I owe someone a huge apology for my long absence. Are you still there, Barry? I hope you haven't given up on me yet. And if you haven't, well bless you, man.

Here are sections 29 – Part III, Chapter 1 (35:38)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/theidiot_29_dostoevsky.mp3

and 30 – Part III, Chapter 2 (30:02)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/theidiot_30_dostoevsky.mp3

On Tagging:
I followed tradition with the last section from <a href="http://librivox.org/the-idiot-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky-part-01-and-02-translated-by-eva-m-martin/">Part 2</a>. The last section of Part 2 was tagged "28 – Part II, Chapter 12", and I thought that it would make sense that my first section would be tagged "29 – Part III, Chapter 1" and the next ones following suit - if that's alright.
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hi Alia,

I had not given up on you yet but just this morning was thinking about checking up on you.

I think we should start the first chapter with 01 instead of the 29. Those particular numbers are really related to the particular project, not the book(s) per say. So this would be section 01 of this project but Part 3, Chapter 1 of the entire series. That make sense?
Barry
My Recordings
Hning

Post by Hning »

Roger that. I'll retag and reupload the first two files then, yes?
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

You don't need to re-upload just for that; I can fix those when I catalog the project. If there is something you need to re-upload for after they are PLed, you can fix it then. :)
Barry
My Recordings
Hning

Post by Hning »

*does the happy jiggle*
:9:
Good morning, Barry.
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Still there, Alia?
Barry
My Recordings
Hning

Post by Hning »

Am, Barry.
FrZeile

Post by FrZeile »

Dear Ms. Hning:

If you need any encouragement, then know that I, for one, am looking foirward to your completing this project for I have listened to parts 1&2 with great pleasure and wish to continue listening... :)

Cordially,

FrZeile

Greeting changed by Admin to correct gender
Pax Domini Tecum
Hning

Post by Hning »

Thank you, Mr. Zeile.
Yes, your encouragements would help a girl gather her mind long enough to get this job done. A lot.

Sincerely,
Alia
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Please note that I have changed the first post to show that we are now using the new uploader and that it has a different password than the old one. Also note that we should start adding _128kb to the end of the file names when you save them; if you forget, don't worry about it as I can easily fix them at cataloging time.
Barry
My Recordings
Hning

Post by Hning »

Barry,
I can't login as BC, so before I lose the links, here are the files that I've uploaded and ready for PL.

Part III chapter 3
http://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/idiot(part03and04)_03_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3
Length 35:55

Part III Chapter 4
http://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/idiot(part03and04)_04_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3
Length 33:39

Part III chapter 5
http://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/idiot(part03and04)_05_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3
Length 29:14

Still working on the rest. I'm still targeting to finish this project by the end of the year. Thanks for your patience.

Alia
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

I added the information to the MW and have sent you a PM with a link to the information you need to log into the new system we are now using.
Barry
My Recordings