[COMPLETE] A Popular History of the Art of Music - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tony123

Post by tony123 »

A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present by W. S. B. Mathews (1837-1912) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-popular-history-of-the-art-of-music-by-w-s-b-mathews/
Preface by W.S.B. Mathews: I have here endeavored to provide a readable account of the entire history of the art of music, within the compass of a single small volume, and to treat the luxuriant and many-sided later development with the particularity proportionate to its importance, and the greater interest appertaining to it from its proximity to the times of the reader.
The range of the work can be most easily estimated from the Table of Contents (pages 5-10). It will be seen that I have attempted to cover the same extent of history, in treating of which the standard musical histories of Naumann, Ambros, Fétis and others have employed from three times to ten times as much space. In the nature of the case there will be differences of opinion among competent judges concerning my success in this difficult undertaking. Upon this point I can only plead absolute sincerity of purpose, and a certain familiarity with the ground to be covered, due to having treated it in my lectures in the Chicago Musical College for five years, to the extent of about thirty-five lectures yearly. I have made free use of all the standard histories—those of Fétis, Ambros, Naumann, Brendel, Gevaert, Hawkins, Burney, the writings of Dr. Hugo Riemann, Dr. Ritter, Prof. Fillmore, and the dictionaries of Grove and Mendel, as well as many monographs in all the leading modern languages.
I have divided the entire history into books, placing at the beginning of each book a general chapter defining the central idea and salient features of the step in development therein recounted. The student who will attentively peruse these chapters in succession will have in them a fairly complete account of the entire progress.
W. S. B. MATHEWS.
Chicago, May 5, 1891.
  • Target completion date:
  • Text source (only read from this text! http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20293):
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ?
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): ?
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 75
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]:
    • Original publication date (if known): 1891
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project:
    history, music

Keywords that describe the book:
    History of music
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present , by W. S. B. Mathews . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present by W. S. B. Mathews . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present , by W. S. B. Mathews . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    popularhistoryoftheartofmusic_##_mathews.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. popularhistoryoftheartofmusic_01_mathews.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: W. S. B. Mathews
    Album: A Popular History of the Art of Music from the Earliest Times until the Present

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mas - MaryAnnSpiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by tony123 on March 30th, 2013, 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tony123

Post by tony123 »

I forgot to put in the number of sections. I'm starting with 75, though I don't think I will need that many. There is a preface, an introduction, and 39 chapters. I'm starting with the preface as section 1 and continuing that way. I think each chapter will be one section, and, then, there will be 25 separate music recordings converted to mp3 from the midi recordings on the book's Gutenberg site. If things go the way I think they might, then it's Preface + Intro + 39 chapters + 25 music illustrations = 41 + 25 = 66 sections, but I'll take 75 sections just in case. :lol: The music will appear after the chapter in which it is presented.

I can't find dates for birth and death of the author, at least not so far, but copyright is 1891.

--Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tony,

How do you intend to introduce the music file sections? And have you considered embedding the music into the chapter where the link appears in Gutenberg? It might be a bit of work, but if you plan to convert them to MP3s anyway, you could open them in Audacity and cut and paste them in the appropriate spot in the chapter file.

Do you have software to do the conversion? If not, I've seen Switch Sound File Converter mentioned as one way to do it. http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html
I have not tried it myself.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Thanks Mary, --After looking over the work, I agree. Embedding the music will be best. I did use Switch Sound File Converter, and it worked very well. I'd downloaded it some time ago for free, and the trial features had expired, but what I wanted it for - the conversion to mp3 - still works.

I'd considered that listeners might want to review some of the music sections, which would be easier to do on mp3 players if they had their own sections, but it will be a lot easier on me and more reasonable to embed them, since the author does introduce them just before they are played. Thanks again! Simple is best! --Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tony,

I can MC and DPL this for you. I'll be back in a bit with the MW. The preface is short - do you plan to record that in the same file as the introduction? I'll set it up with 40 sections, starting with 00.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

:D Thanks MaryAnn! Yes, I'll combine the preface with the intro. And if, as I'm anticipating, I'm able to do each chapter in one section, starting with 00 will allow section number to be aligned with chapter number, so that's great. If I've miscalculated on each chapter being its own section, it shouldn't be hard for me to rearrange my sections and ask you to add more sections at the end, right? --Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tony - MW is up.

I see you've done a solo before, but just a reminder to start each section title with the section number (00, 01, etc).

I've shortened the file name.

Yes, I can add sections at the end easily - just let me know as you go.

I'll go ahead and move this over to going solo.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

00 is in the window. MaryAnn, thanks for finding the birth and death dates for the author. I did a bit of searching with Google but didn't find them. Best! --Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Tony. I'll give it a listen.

Please be sure to post file lengths in the MW for each file. During the cataloging process, I will need the length of each file to confirm that the entire file uploaded properly to Archive.

I found the b/d dates in the Gutenberg copy of the doc. If you look at the Bibrec tab, it shows you the PD status, and in this case also showed me the dates for the author.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

:roll: Yep, I knew to post the length, had it written down and then forgot to post it. Thanks! I appreciate your helpfulness. --Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Section 00:

at 16:14 - did you mean to say [pg 17]? I ask because you didn't read page 16. You are welcome to read it however you choose, but I don't usually hear them read and it didn't add to my comprehension of the text.

Other occurrences:
at 8:25 - [pg 18]
at 10:24 - [pg 19]
at 12:38 - [pg 20]
at 14:53 - [pg 21]
at 17:04 - [pg 22]
at 19:22 - [pg 23]

Otherwise it's fine. If you want to leave them, in, I'll mark it as PL OK.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

That's interesting and helpful feedback, MaryAnn. The page numbers are placed in the book as references (or, at least, that's what I thought they were for), and I debated on whether or not to read them, thinking that they might prepare the listener's mind for further information and the fact that the author considered it important enough to cite those page numbers at those points. Now I see that, if I were going to do it, I should say something like, "See page 18." With your feedback, I get the idea that it really offers nothing for a listener. :) So, I'll take them out. Thank you again for so much help. --Tony
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tony,

I believe that Gutenberg adds the page references to keep track of pagination in the original printed book. If you had a cite to page 27, you could find that page in the Gutenberg doc. While that may be valuable at times in a print copy, I don't think it does the listener much good, which is why most readers omit them from their reading.

MaryAnn
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Thanks for pointing that out to me, MaryAnn. I hadn't run across that situation before, at least not that I remember. I certainly would have known better than to be citing page references in the fictional works I read, :( but I don't remember seeing them. I bet I'll notice them now.

I've re-uploaded 00 with the "page" remarks deleted. Thanks again! --Tony
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Chapter 1 in window. Best! --Tony