COMPLETE The Empire of Russia by John S.C. Abbott - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you britannia!

tovarisch, we must stick to the text even if there are inaccuracies. mr abbotts writing is still regarded as valuable nonetheless :)
Carolin
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Carolin wrote:tovarisch, we must stick to the text even if there are inaccuracies.
Thank you. I'll read the electronic text as it is. :thumbs: I am not arguing the value of the book. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
bascomjean

Post by bascomjean »

Hi!

Here is Chapter 19 - Peter the Great:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/empireofrussia_19_abbott.mp3
Duration: 00:32:03

Around minute 17 there is a faint baby cry in the background, which I wasn't able to edit out. I don't think it's very noticeable, but just wanted to give a heads-up that it's there.

Jean:)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Good evening!

Chapter 13 -
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/empireofrussia_13_abbott.mp3 : 36:32

Please PL. Thanks!
tovarisch
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

You're welcome Carolin ! :thumbs:

Jean : chapter 19 is PL OK ! Thanks for the heads up about the baby. I likewise think it's not really noticeable, so no problem there.

Tovarisch, I will listen to section 13 very soon. Don't forget to correct chapter 12 though. :wink:
Sarah
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you jean and tovarisch :thumbs:

and thanks again britannia of course :)
Carolin
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

You don't have to thank me everytime Carolin, I'm just doing my job. :wink:

Ok, here is the PL note for chapter 13 :
- intro silence : it should be longer (between 0.5 and 1 second).

That's all !
Sarah
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

OK. Factual inacuracies we ignore. :| But what about a typo?

I checked, in the published text (available as scanned images here), on page 239, the last line, the monastery is called "Yroitzky". It is an obvious typo - the name got to be Troitzky. The monastery name is based on the term Troitza (Троица) which means Trinity. I am not going to read 'Y', I am going to read as if there is a 'T' there. Just FYI.

Thanks!
tovarisch
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

tovarisch wrote:OK. Factual inacuracies we ignore. :| But what about a typo?

I checked, in the published text (available as scanned images here), on page 239, the last line, the monastery is called "Yroitzky". It is an obvious typo - the name got to be Troitzky. The monastery name is based on the term Troitza (Троица) which means Trinity. I am not going to read 'Y', I am going to read as if there is a 'T' there. Just FYI.

Thanks!
My personal opinion:

Two things here: If it's just a typo in the Gutenberg edition, I report the error to them. They fix things usually within two weeks minimum. That's a win-win for everybody. If it's from another source, and it's just a wrong letter in a word and what's there is nonsense, I just read it right and don't say anything.
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

wow, many things happening! :)

britannia, thanks again (i will continue to thank you so that it looks like i am involved in this project, too ;) )
one thing: that there has to be at least between 0,5 and 1 sec of silence before the intro is a missunderstanding, it should be no more than that (but anything under a second is acceptable, and i wouldnt make someone edit a section if the only point of complaint is that there are two seconds of silence in the beginning).

as to typos -- these happen when the image of the scan is converted to text. so we have a lot of instances where rn/m, t/f, i/l and all those similar looking letters are mixed up (although gutenberg does at least two rounds of review to avoid that). if it is obvious that it is just an error of that type, go ahead and read the text as it should be. if you cant be sure if it is a typo or if you think there is something wrong but you dont know what, just check with us and we will try to figure it out together :)
Carolin
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Carolin wrote: .. as to typos -- these happen when the image of the scan is converted to text. so we have a lot of instances where rn/m, t/f, i/l and all those similar looking letters are mixed up (although gutenberg does at least two rounds of review to avoid that). if it is obvious that it is just an error of that type, go ahead and read the text as it should be. if you cant be sure if it is a typo or if you think there is something wrong but you dont know what, just check with us and we will try to figure it out together :)
I wrote:I checked, in the published text (available as scanned images here), on page 239, the last line, the monastery is called "Yroitzky".
So, it's not a conversion error in gutenberg. I would venture a guess that the typesetter saw a handwritten T that looked too much like a handwritten Y and mistook one for the other.
This is a link to the scanned book: http://www.unz.org/Pub/AbbottJohn-1872n02 if you'd like to check.
tovarisch
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ah im sorry i missed that you had already posted that. it is fine, you come across these every once in a while. go ahead and read a T instead of a Y :)
Carolin
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, Carolin ! I sincerely apologise for that. :oops:

Chapters 12, 13 & 25 are PL OK.
Sarah