COMPLETE - The Journal of John Woolman by John Woolman - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There are sa number of sites listed on this Wiki page.

In case of difficulty, you can always try posting for "Pronunciation help needed: Pennsylvania place names" or some such in the Help Wanted forum. It is surprising how much knowledge there is among our members. I, of course, have absolutely no clue. I could help with English place names, if there are any of those.

You will notice that I have started to add links to the specific text source page for each chapter. It occurred to me that it would be rather difficult for a proof-listener to find the correct place in the book quickly if they needed to check something, so if you could continue to add those as you record, that would be helpful. In the notes field, add HTML e.g.

Code: Select all

<a href="">http://archive.org/stream/Harvard-Classics/001_Harvard_Classics#page/n186/mode/1up</a>
You can copy the URL from the address bar when you are looking at the relevant page of text.

Now that you have a couple of files up, I will advertise for a proof-listener in Listeners Wanted today.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Downloading Sections 00 & 01 for PL. :wink:

Both sections PL OK.
Chapter title missing from ID3 tag in chapter 1, can this be added during cataloging Ruth ?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Thanks for proof-listening!

Ruth,

Thanks for the guidance on the pronunciations. I found all but three of them: Manoquacy, Cheagle, and Barnagat. They are colonial place names - probably of British origin. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Devon
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hmm... I'd guess Cheagle rhymes with Beagle, because I can't see any other way you would say it.

Barnagat may be Barnegat Bay: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barnegat%20bay

I'd guess Manoquacy is an old spelling for Monocacy: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monocacy

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

aradlaw wrote:Downloading Sections 00 & 01 for PL. :wink:

Both sections PL OK.
Chapter title missing from ID3 tag in chapter 1, can this be added during cataloging Ruth ?
Yup, no problem.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

<a href="">http://archive.org/stream/Harvard-Classics/001_Harvard_Classics#page/n186/mode/1up</a>
You can copy the URL from the address bar when you are looking at the relevant page of text.
EDIT: I just realised I made a complete pig's ear of that, didn't I :oops: ? It should have read:

<a href="http://archive.org/stream/Harvard-Classics/001_Harvard_Classics#page/n186/mode/1up">Text link</a>
so that it ends up showing like Text link in the Magic Window.

Duh, sorry. What a dimwit.

Ruth
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Do you need a DPL for this work? I'd like to do some listening.

Thanks.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I haven't seen him for a while, Arnie. I hope he hasn't found it just too time-consuming. I'm sure he'd be pleased for you to DPL, so I'll put you in, and drop him a line to see if he has anything to listen to yet.

EDITED TO ADD: I have had to put the temporary name in the Magic Window, so that the user name and password that Icequeen gave you will work. This will all get fixed as soon as our new software is up and running.

Ruth
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Still here! :D Sorry for the delay. I have been on vacation and studying for an exam. I should have the next chapter complete by next week.

- Devon
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Good news! :thumbs: Good luck with the exam. :)

Ruth
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

RuthieG wrote:I haven't seen him for a while, Arnie. I hope he hasn't found it just too time-consuming. I'm sure he'd be pleased for you to DPL, so I'll put you in, and drop him a line to see if he has anything to listen to yet.

EDITED TO ADD: I have had to put the temporary name in the Magic Window, so that the user name and password that Icequeen gave you will work. This will all get fixed as soon as our new software is up and running.

Ruth
Thanks, I am glad to DPL. When do you think the new software will be up and running?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Couple of months... ish. Still in development/testing at the moment.

Ruth
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Ruth,

Chapter 2 complete! What seems to be taking me the longest is editing around my breaths....when I breathe as quietly as possible it still sounds loud on the recording...and when I edit out the breath it can sometimes sound choppy or make for a rough transition. Any tips on this?

Thanks again,

Devon
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I rarely chop out a breath completely. i usually deamplify by 10 dB (or even 20 dB if it is a particularly wheezy breath). Otherwise, I paste in a small section of room noise, but either way, I always zoom right in to make sure that I haven't caught the end of the previous word or the beginning of the next one.

Ruth
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I've Pl'ed chapter 2. PL OK :thumbs: . Didn't notice any problems with breaths, though I could hear some rustling in the background at points but it was not distracting. Only thing is the file is missing the ID3 title field as with chapter 1.

Thanks.